For Sale Luscombe project

Wagondriver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
375Taylor
I have decided that I will sell my Luscombe project. I do not have the hangar space for the next few months due to it being winter. It is ready to install the wings, but as soon as I do it has to go outside. Winter is not a great time for a project to be outside.
Project is a 1949 Luscombe 8a. It has a Rotec R3600 mounted on it, it has been run a few times and is ready for the wings. It is a metal wing, and the spar corrosion AD has been completed. There are many new parts on the fuselage, it has been essentially restored. It has not been modified in such a way that it could not be converted back to a standard airworthiness. This is a nice Luscombe!
I also have a second Rotec R3600 for sale as well. Both engines have under 3 hours of ground run time on them.
PM me for more information.

Do you have an STC for the Rotec? Experimental?

That will make a nice looking airplane.

i would guess experimental exhib or experimental R&D would be the only category that it could be put in.

Don't know why you'd want to turn a classic airplane into an experimental. Seems wrong.

Tough crowd! Maybe he is in Canada, much easier there. The Rotec's will be good spare parts engines to the few who jumped on the bandwagon before Verner came around.

Lots of naysayers in the pilot community.

I talked with a DAR BEFORE I started the project. It is not a problem. Experimental Exhibition.

Why? Because I like radials. And, I'd like to prove whether the Rotec is a good engine or not. I have my doubts. The aircraft hadn't flown in nearly 30 years. Should I let it rot away because it is nowhere near cost effective to put in the original engine? You can buy a flying Luscombe for $20k to $25k, a new engine and install alone will be more than it is worth. Why not do something fun with it?

I am also not the first one to put a radial on a Luscombe. There is a 7 cylinder version on an 8A. There was a 9 cylinder on a T8.

If no one wants it, I will continue with my plan. But, right now it will sit until at least spring when I can work on it outside.

Don't know why you'd want to turn a classic airplane into an experimental. Seems wrong.

Reminds me of many veterinarians, telling me to spend thousands to try to fix a horse. When I ask them if they want the horse, the answer is always the same. Do you want to buy it? It is a good deal, probably the best luscombe out there with the amount of work and new parts in it. I also purposely did not modify anything to the point it can't be easily reversed. It still has a standard airworthiness certificate.

Yup. Lots of folks in the Luscombe community point out that the firewall is essentially ROUND. The man's not crazy.

3209515_orig.jpg

http://www.bowencreativelabs.com/firewall.html

I thought the latest holders of the Luscome TC said they were going to start building new production Luscombes with radial engines, not sure which engine, but I don't see it on their website now.

https://www.luscombeair.com/

I think it sounds like an interesting project and Experimental Exhibition would be the route to go.

I do think though that you will have a hard time selling it as a partial project as most potential buyers will not understand the work involved in the project itself or the process for getting the airworthiness certificate. You might have a good DAR who is willing to work with you on the project, but your buyer might struggle with locating one with the correct function code and the willingness to hold their hand if necessary. Of course, they could always go to the FSDO.

Best of luck with whatever you do.

I am interested in your project for sale. pm me. Thanks

I thought the latest holders of the Luscome TC said they were going to start building new production Luscombes with radial engines, not sure which engine, but I don't see it on their website now.

https://www.luscombeair.com/
Continental O-200D, no radials. Interestingly enough all the models are LSA at 1320 max gross, but I didn't find an empty weight listed anywhere on the web site. I'm guessing it's a little bit of a porker. Very pretty planes, though.

Continental O-200D, no radials. Interestingly enough all the models are LSA at 1320 max gross, but I didn't find an empty weight listed anywhere on the web site. I'm guessing it's a little bit of a porker. Very pretty planes, though.
From some other websites it looks like they were offering a Rotec radial around 5-6 years ago, but it's unclear whether they actually sold any, or what certification basis those planes had or would have had.

I'm interested too... but I do enjoy being married, and I know that the Rotec would be an antique by the time I finished putting it back together.

The Rotec is certainly a lot more practical than the turbine hung on another Luscombe...

I had a guy that wanted to buy both of my engines and possibly my project. I have him a pretty good price for everything, that's when I decided to part with it. But, after 6 weeks and no commitment to buy it, I changed my mind. I am going to finish the project, after not hearing from the potential buyer I did a lot of thinking. The project is very close to flying, the only reason I haven't got it finished is that as soon as I put the wings on, it has to go outside, working on a plane in the winter outside isn't fun.
But, spring will be here soon, and I need the space in the hangar to put together my Grand Canyon boat. The wings are going on the Luscombe on Friday!

Awesome. I'm curious, what's your plan for cowling the Rotec?

I'm not, unless the cylinders run hot. I want to see the engine, its part of why you have a radial!

Back