Lunch South of Memphis

Topper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Topper
We are flying from Wichita to Destin next week. I can make it non-stop, however my wife will require a pit stop somewhere in-between. A direct route will take us a little south of Memphis and that will be about 1/2 way there. Prefer not to venture too far from the field, but not really in a big hurry, so open to ideas. We can just stop for fuel and break and press on and have lunch in Destin, just thought if there was some place fun, we could incorporate it.

Thanks,

Jim

We are flying from Wichita to Destin next week. I can make it non-stop, however my wife will require a pit stop somewhere in-between. A direct route will take us a little south of Memphis and that will be about 1/2 way there. Prefer not to venture too far from the field, but not really in a big hurry, so open to ideas. We can just stop for fuel and break and press on and have lunch in Destin, just thought if there was some place fun, we could incorporate it.

Thanks,

Jim

Off-hand I'd recommend Tupelo or Oxford, that would be my choice. If Jackson isn't too far south, it has lots of good food options. If you want BBQ, you could stop in W. Mem. I'm not sure what kind of food is around Olive Branch. There didn't used to be much down there but that's probably changed.

I'd land at olive branch and take the crew car up into Germantown. Lots of food options but nothing really stands out there...oxford or tupelo isn't bad either. Land at tupelo and go eat a burger at the neon pig. Got voted the best burger in America a few years ago. Though I don't know how, not all that good and pricey. Central bbq in Memphis is good but be prepared to wait in long lines. Come to Starkville and there is a hole in the wall Indian place that we love. I'll meet you there!

I'd land at olive branch and take the crew car up into Germantown. Lots of food options but nothing really stands out there...oxford or tupelo isn't bad either. Land at tupelo and go eat a burger at the neon pig. Got voted the best burger in America a few years ago. Though I don't know how, not all that good and pricey. Central bbq in Memphis is good but be prepared to wait in long lines. Come to Starkville and there is a hole in the wall Indian place that we love. I'll meet you there!
I agree. I like Blue Canoe wayyyy more than Neon Pig. Huey's in Germantown is pretty good. Soulshine Pizza in Oxford is very good, as are Ajax, City Grocery, and Volta Taverna.

I've never been to the blue canoe. But I just looked up their menu and told the wife next trip to tupelo we are eating there.
Hit me up when you're up here next. I'm flying down to Crestview, FL to pick up a plane tomorrow.

Last edited:
Veer a little north and fly into Dewitt and grab a ride to any number of places along Main St in Memphis or even midtown.

btw, Oxford has Uber, Tupelo doesn't. Land, call an uber, ask them to take you to the square, and take your pick. There isn't a bad restaurant to pick from, and it's a cool little town.

Veer a little north and fly into Dewitt and grab a ride to any number of places along Main St in Memphis or even midtown.

This is what I'd suggest. DeWitt-Spain is a fantastic little airport and they have a nice crew car (an Expedition, I think). Uber is also readily available. Multiple great BBQ restaurants within about a 10 minute drive (into Downtown Memphis). We stop in Memphis regularly on our way from Kansas City to Florida.

Thanks for all the suggestions, BBQ sounded great, but not typical of what we eat and I needed to save some calories for other activities! Decided to stop in Oxford and went to the Square. Neat area, lots of options for lunch, don't remember the name of the restaurant we went to, but it was fantastic. FBO is very nice also.

Headed home Sunday. Most likely will leave early and mak a pit/fuel/breakfast stop. Planning to fly the coast and it looks like Hot Springs will be about our stopping point. Any better ideas in that area?

Thanks,

Jim

Back