LSAs as cross country airplanes

My understanding is that the seemingly-odd 1320-lb LSA limit was chosen because it roughly equals 600 kg, the commonly-accepted standard in other countries.
That's correct...but the reason that value was set at 600 kg instead of 700, for example, was to exclude the 150 and 152.

A few years ago the Cessna 120/140 club petitioned FAA to allow those airplanes (standard category at 1450 lb gross) to fly as LSAs at a reduced gross weight of 1320 lb.

The answer: Nyet. :no: :nono: :devil: :frown2: :nonod:
Yup. Any otherwise LSA-eligible aircraft that has ever been certified to operate at a max gross of over 1320 pounds (for example, via STC) is permanently ineligible to operate under the LSA rules, even if the modifications are reversed.

That's correct...but the reason that value was set at 600 kg instead of 700, for example, was to exclude the 150 and 152.

Yup. Any otherwise LSA-eligible aircraft that has ever been certified to operate at a max gross of over 1320 pounds (for example, via STC) is permanently ineligible to operate under the LSA rules, even if the modifications are reversed.

What is the reasoning for wanting to exclude the 150/152? its extreme speed and power, and how dangerous it is to fly? :no:

Forget the 152; I want a Grumman Lynx as an LSA. :arf:

As I heard the story, the idea was to generate a market for new airplanes as much as possible.

If so...whomever made that decision should be stood on a hill and shot.

I've seen a bunch of pilots over the years upgrade from 172 and Warriors to BOs and Mooneys that went from coming out almost every weekend to fly to only flying when they had a trip. This was often followed by selling the plane because they didn't use it enough.

There's something to that. The bigger planes are not planes that people normally end up getting in just to go for a jaunt around the clouds, especially when you look at the costs. LSAs have a big advantage here with the low operating costs, providing good incentive to keep flying it more.

It comes down to buying a plane that's appropriate for your mission. Buy too little, you'll be disappointed because you can't do what you're trying to. Buy too much, and you'll probably not use it as much as you'd like.

It comes down to buying a plane that's appropriate for your mission. Buy too little, you'll be disappointed because you can't do what you're trying to. Buy too much, and you'll probably not use it as much as you'd like.

Hence my suggestion that at my airport the smartest thing for the pilots that are there would be for each of them to own an LSA and then create a club or partnership to co-operate a traveling plane.

Back