"LSAs are VFR only"

Did my post sound as if I feel that the sky belongs only to jets. Because, I fly both types, Props and Jets. I just don't feel that they go very well together in an IFR environment.

Patrick that sounds like you might need to brush up on your skills. The plan for the use of airspace in the US is designed for all types of aircraft to be flown by properly certificated pilots together. If you have a problem flying with a certain subset of aircraft or pilots that is your issue not theirs.

Patrick that sounds like you might need to brush up on your skills. The plan for the use of airspace in the US is designed for all types of aircraft to be flown by properly certificated pilots together. If you have a problem flying with a certain subset of aircraft or pilots that is your issue not theirs.

My skills are just fine. Thanks for the concern though.

I've had CFI's kind of laugh when I talk about LSA. They like to say that they don't have real engines in them, because of the Rotax. The call them plastice planes because some of them use composites. Just means I have to take time to educate them some. These are usually older CFI's that are my age or older, been flying forever and are set in their ways. I explain that Rotax engines are used in the Predator Drone

That may not be the best way to convince them. The next line out of their mouth will probably be "Yeah, they're fine for airplanes that don't have to carry PEOPLE!" ;)

My skills are just fine. Thanks for the concern though.
Lear Driver, I have flown T37s, E188s, and lots of GA aircraft. Your attitude is well......"p_ss p_or" and you might want to take stock of skills.

That having been said I agree with your basic premise which seems to be: "the bottom end of the GA pilot spectrum is appalling." The average GA pilot has no idea why pilots who fly in the 18,000 to 40,000 pound range really NEED to do straight ins at times; nor how the county airport really doesn't have a fixed pattern, nor does he understand that TIME is more important to match than distance.

He's too busy being pseudo military with his flight of four RV 7s doing overhead breaks at pilot controlled airports with nobody else on the game plan.... sigh. HE's not systematic, rarely uses a checklist, and is a cheap bas_ard about spending an additional 0.1 in the pattern yielding so that everything fits.

At least he can now follow the magenta line and no longer reports he's 10 nm on the WRONG side of the VOR. He's forgotten how to orienteer about the VOR entirely.

CFI/ATP

Last edited:
But I don't want to share airspace with you in IMC conditions.

Patrick,

Others have jumped on you a bit about your statement, but I want to know what made you said it in the first place. Have you had bad experiences with smaller planes in IMC? Are you one of the people who is afraid to fly IFR in a single-engine airplane? Do you really have so little faith in air traffic control and the rest of the IFR system that you think there's going to be an issue?

I've only had one experience where I thought ATC got me in the way of a jet - I got cleared for an ILS from pretty far out right as a jet was checking in with approach, and I had a 40-knot headwind - In an Archer. :eek: I flew the whole darn thing at cruise power and was getting 90 knots ground speed. ATC ended up vectoring the poor jet (an airline flight, FWIW) almost back out of their airspace, and told me at one point "Pedal as fast as you can, contact tower..." :rofl: Why they didn't let the jet use the other ILS, I don't know. :dunno: But, that was ATC's screwup, not mine.

That having been said I agree with your basic premise which seems to be: "the bottom end of the GA pilot spectrum is appalling." The average GA pilot has no idea why pilots who fly in the 18,000 to 40,000 pound range really NEED to do straight ins at times; nor how the county airport really doesn't have a fixed pattern, nor does he understand that TIME is more important to match than distance.

Bruce,

I agree, but wouldn't you say that the majority of the less-than-stellar variety of pilots are not instrument rated, and/or aren't flying in IMC very often anyway? I've heard ATC get on a few pilots' cases, but I don't think any of them were IFR. In fact, that's one of the things I enjoy about flying in crappy weather - Everyone is very professional, even those of us who aren't getting paid for it.

First off I know the difference of the types of pilots. I have given enough BFR's to attest to the fact.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Did my post sound as if I feel that the sky belongs only to jets. Because, I fly both types, Props and Jets. I just don't feel that they go very well together in an IFR environment.

What's a BFR?

You would be wrong.

Randy, not all LSAs have the Rotax in them. Jay's Zodiac has a Continental O-200, and I know there's at least one LSA out there with a Lycoming O-235.

Not saying not to go with the Rotax if you get one, but there are other options in the LSA market. :)

I'm well aware of that as I restarted my training in a Zodiac here locally. The biggest problem there is the extra 80 lbs or so the Continental adds to the empty weight. The school I was at has to find slim Instructors for the right seat so they can accommodate students like me in the left seat and still put some fuel to go out and practice. You didn't mention the Jabiru engine as an alternative.

Jay, if your watching, what is the useful load on your Zodiac?

Randy

The biggest problem there is the extra 80 lbs or so the Continental adds to the empty weight.
Actually, the difference winds up being more like 40-50 pounds. Don't forget the Rotax has some extra things the Continental doesn't, such as a cooling system.

You didn't mention the Jabiru engine as an alternative.
There are few factory LSAs that have Jabiru engines; the Jabiru aircraft and the IndUS Thorpedo are the only ones that spring to mind. I think part of it is that Jabiru has a manufacturer's restriction to day VFR only, and most LSA builders are equipping for night VFR pretty much standard.

470 pounds, officially. Empty weight is 850. A good chunk of that is the equipment level I've got in it, though; most AMD Zodiacs come in right around 800.

Patrick,

Others have jumped on you a bit about your statement, but I want to know what made you said it in the first place. Have you had bad experiences with smaller planes in IMC? Are you one of the people who is afraid to fly IFR in a single-engine airplane? Do you really have so little faith in air traffic control and the rest of the IFR system that you think there's going to be an issue?

I've only had one experience where I thought ATC got me in the way of a jet - I got cleared for an ILS from pretty far out right as a jet was checking in with approach, and I had a 40-knot headwind - In an Archer. :eek: I flew the whole darn thing at cruise power and was getting 90 knots ground speed. ATC ended up vectoring the poor jet (an airline flight, FWIW) almost back out of their airspace, and told me at one point "Pedal as fast as you can, contact tower..." :rofl: Why they didn't let the jet use the other ILS, I don't know. :dunno: But, that was ATC's screwup, not mine.

Others have jumped on me a little bit? Frankly some of the people have been downright rude and have gotten personal about their statements. Its funny I don't think that I got personal and snide to anyone. However, that doesn't bother me. Its just a defensive reaction. So if I offend their delicate state then I apologize. It is hard for some people to be civil with others.

First off my statement inferred that because of the speed differences that the two types of aircraft are not very compatible. If people can't figure that one out for themselves thats their problem.

Secondly, I have no fear of being IFR in a single. I fly IFR regularly in a SEL, MEL and Jet and have no issue with ATC. Actually I think that ATC does a great job. However, I have had a pilot in a 182 fly up the ILS at me while flying the approach in IMC. I was on a clearance and he wasn't. I fly in a high density traffic area so those things happen. Good thing for having TCAS.

Thanks for the post.

Randy, not all LSAs have the Rotax in them. Jay's Zodiac has a Continental O-200, and I know there's at least one LSA out there with a Lycoming O-235.

Not saying not to go with the Rotax if you get one, but there are other options in the LSA market. :)

A lot of people learned to fly in "LSA" aircraft before there was a "LSA" category. But not me. Cessna 120s are too heavy for LSA (bummer). The Champ my brother learned in on the other hand...

However, I have had a pilot in a 182 fly up the ILS at me while flying the approach in IMC. I was on a clearance and he wasn't. I fly in a high density traffic area so those things happen. Good thing for having TCAS.

Thanks for the post.

I'm trying, and failing to correlate what one guy, in one C-182 flying illegally in IMC has to do with LSAs flying legally in IMC, provided they are operated by competent pilots with suitable equipment.

Others have jumped on me a little bit? Frankly some of the people have been downright rude and have gotten personal about their statements. Its funny I don't think that I got personal and snide to anyone. However, that doesn't bother me. Its just a defensive reaction. So if I offend their delicate state then I apologize. It is hard for some people to be civil with others.

Frankly, you started it. Those of us in this forum take great pride in working to be better pilots, and you as a newbie coming in here and saying we shouldn't be flying IFR... Frankly, the reaction to that was more civil than I'd expect in most online communities. Your statement was downright offensive.

First off my statement inferred that because of the speed differences that the two types of aircraft are not very compatible. If people can't figure that one out for themselves thats their problem.

How's that? "Skylane 123, fly heading 220, cleared for takeoff." "Learjet 456, fly heading 180, cleared for takeoff." C'mon, speed is just a part of normal separation and part of ATC's job. They're plenty compatible.

Secondly, I have no fear of being IFR in a single. I fly IFR regularly in a SEL

Yet you think that when you're in the Lear you don't want anyone else to do the same? :dunno:

However, I have had a pilot in a 182 fly up the ILS at me while flying the approach in IMC. I was on a clearance and he wasn't.

Was the 182 in IMC? If he was, without a clearance, then he's a ****tard. BAN 182's!!! (Oh wait, maybe we should get rid of the crappy pilots and then the rest of us can get along. :rolleyes:)

If you're saying that formation flying with a Lear and a 182 won't work, I agree. But...
Secondly, I have no fear of being IFR in a single. I fly IFR regularly in a SEL, MEL and Jet and have no issue with ATC. Actually I think that ATC does a great job. However, I have had a pilot in a 182 fly up the ILS at me while flying the approach in IMC. I was on a clearance and he wasn't. I fly in a high density traffic area so those things happen. Good thing for having TCAS.
...that doesn't mean they can't operate IFR safely in the same termina airspace if the pilots play by the rules. It sounds like your issue is more with the pilots than the airplanes, and in that regard, I agree that you'll find a higher percentage of incompetant pilots in 182's than in Lears, but that's a training problem, not an aircraft problem.

Its funny I don't think that I got personal and snide to anyone.
No? Anyone who's been around GA for any length of time knows that it's a constant struggle to keep things as they are so we all have access to the air. Your comments sounded like they came straight out of an airline PR campaign to sweep the skies of us dangerous little airplane pilots:

Seriously, most recreational pilots can barely keep their landing currency up. IFR skills are a whole different subject. Why not just use these aircraft for the type of flying that they were meant for.
Many, if not most, of us who don't fly for a living manage to keep our skills up and constantly work to become better pilots. Your broad brush was very insulting, and if this wasn't snide, I'm not sure much of anything can be.

Then there's this gem:
By all means put in the modern avionics. They make flying somewhere much easier and will help keep you out of airspace you shouldn't be in.
Just what airspace shouldn't we be in, and how would modern avionics keep us out of it?

That was immediately followed by:
But I don't want to share airspace with you in IMC conditions.
I'm not instrument rated yet, so you won't be having to put up with me in IMC unless I'm getting a lesson in actual (something I want to do, and will whenever it gets to the point that I won't turn into an ice cube the moment I enter a cloud). Still, it's just another "Keep those little airplanes out of my sky!" comment.

I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

The only problem with this statement is that it's wrong, as anyone with experience in the real world knows. We all can share the skies, and we do it every day.

This is a reason for saying that those of us not flying jets should stay out of your sky? One idiot pilot is not representative of the entire world of GA, as any pilot with any kind of real experience will know.

I'd say you were being pretty personal and rude when you were telling those of us who don't fly jets (which accounts for most of the people on this board) that you don't want us flying IFR. You're right, it is hard for some people to be civil with others. The difference is you seem to be under the mistake impression that you were being civil.

That's your issue and ATC's issue, not ours. The other people on this board who fly jets seem to disagree with you.

So you're just fine flying IFR in a single, but the rest of us aren't? Yeah, that's not elitist or anything. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter where you are or what you're flying, you can have stupid people breaking the rules and endangering themselves and you. That's a pilot issue, not a plane issue.

I'm trying, and failing to correlate what one guy, in one C-182 flying illegally in IMC has to do with LSAs flying legally in IMC, provided they are operated by competent pilots with suitable equipment.

Apparently it's that those LSA pilots don't fly jets, because he's stated he flies in IMC in singles.

470 pounds, officially. Empty weight is 850. A good chunk of that is the equipment level I've got in it, though; most AMD Zodiacs come in right around 800.

I put me and my wife in your plane and we could only sit on the ramp and pretend :)

Put a Rotax on it and I can go flying. I don't have anything against the Zodiac and I'm glad you have what you want and that you love it. That's the great thing about aviation is all the choices we have available to us!

Randy

Thanks for the post.

i love you. can we meet?

Others have jumped on me a little bit? Frankly some of the people have been downright rude and have gotten personal about their statements.
You made a blanket statement like this...
By all means put in the modern avionics. They make flying somewhere much easier and will help keep you out of airspace you shouldn't be in. But I don't want to share airspace with you in IMC conditions. That is when I am in one of the airplanes that I earn a living in.
...and expected not to get called out? I couldn't believe someone would think such a thing, let alone have the nerve to post it. I have been a LearDriver, among other things, for about 8 years until my 135 Lear currency expired at the end of last year and I moved on to something else. The thought that I don't want to share the IFR airspace with small airplanes has never occurred to me. I'll also have to say that I've never heard any of the pilots I fly with make any similar comment. It's comments like that which give people who fly jets a reputation for being arrogant and it increases the divide between the factions of GA who should be standing together.
That is true in some situations, but I don't find it to be the case so much in the IFR environment. The place where the most conflict between mixed speed aircraft shows up is in the VFR pattern of busy uncontrolled airports. At least that has been my observation.
I have had a pilot in a 182 fly up the ILS at me while flying the approach in IMC. I was on a clearance and he wasn't. I fly in a high density traffic area so those things happen. Good thing for having TCAS.
So you are going to extraplolate from that one incident that all small airplane pilots are incompetant? I will agree there are some people out there that should not been flying airplanes. As a young CFI years ago the lack of skill in some people who came for BFRs (when they were still called that), and checkouts was an eye-opener to me. On the other hand, I have been assigned sim partners in jet recurrent programs who I'm glad I don't fly with in real life.

I have been a LearDriver, among other things, for about 8 years until my 135 Lear currency expired at the end of last year and I moved on to something else.
The part in bold is that which I'm quite curious about. You often leave subtle hints in the chat room.

:D

The part in bold is that which I'm quite curious about. You often leave subtle hints in the chat room.

Haha. It's not that mysterious... :sleep:

In the time I've been a LearDriver, I've also been a KingAirDriver, a HawkerDriver and now a CessnaDriver, which doesn't quite have the same ring to it. :confused:

I'm also the head cat box cleaner! :redface:

i love you. can we meet?

Nick,
Remember that girl in school that wouldn't give you the time of day because you were from the wrong side of town. We are just little ASEL pilots, we are not up to jet standards yet, but I admire your confidence.:D:D:D

Bruce,

I agree, but wouldn't you say that the majority of the less-than-stellar variety of pilots are not instrument rated, and/or aren't flying in IMC very often anyway? I've heard ATC get on a few pilots' cases, but I don't think any of them were IFR. In fact, that's one of the things I enjoy about flying in crappy weather - Everyone is very professional, even those of us who aren't getting paid for it.
I don't know about Bruce, but I certainly don't think that the IFR rating makes much of a difference. It's about attitude, and a willingness to learn, and I know plenty of pilot who're not doing well in either category and who are instrument rated. If anything, the instrument rated folks are even worse because they think they're "ahead of the curve".

-Felix

Seriously, most recreational pilots can barely keep their landing currency up. IFR skills are a whole different subject. Why not just use these aircraft for the type of flying that they were meant for.

By all means put in the modern avionics. They make flying somewhere much easier and will help keep you out of airspace you shouldn't be in. But I don't want to share airspace with you in IMC conditions. That is when I am in one of the airplanes that I earn a living in. On my day off I am just like the rest of you, flying around VFR and at less than 100 knots.

Its just not safe for either of us. On departure I will be doing 200 kts and when I exit the class D, It will get pushed to 250 kts. On approach, minimum speed is going to be 125 kts or 130 kts depending on which one I am flying. Jets and LSA's don't mix well.

Just enjoy each one for what they are designed for. It is kind of interesting though. When someone is flying around in their LSA that they just want to fly something bigger. I find that when I am flying around in a kerosene burner with a schedule for the day, weather to contend with, and a PITA high maintenance boss in the back, I am thinking about how nice it would be to just be flying around in that American Legend Cub that I so badly want.

Dude, you don't belong in my airspace until you check the attitude. The sky is for all of us, and no just those getting a paycheck.

Final warning -- keep it factual and informative, not personal. If not, the thread will be closed.

Final warning -- keep it factual and informative, not personal. If not, the thread will be closed.

But Ron, someone is WRONG on the internet!!!

duty_calls.png

I'm well aware of that as I restarted my training in a Zodiac here locally. The biggest problem there is the extra 80 lbs or so the Continental adds to the empty weight. The school I was at has to find slim Instructors for the right seat so they can accommodate students like me in the left seat and still put some fuel to go out and practice. You didn't mention the Jabiru engine as an alternative.

Randy

I'm right there with you...my school's Zodiac holds me (175lb clothed), my instructor (200lb) and about 18 gallons of fuel...that load would give us about 37lb to spare. I *wish* the Zodiac had a Rotax, the extra useful would be nice.

BTW, I think factory useful on the Zodiac is 520lb, if that's what you were asking Jay.

I think part of it is that Jabiru has a manufacturer's restriction to day VFR only, and most LSA builders are equipping for night VFR pretty much standard.

Really, DAY VFR only? I get VFR, but why day only? Does it turn into a pumpkin after dark? :D

Most folks out there flying are wonderful. The type plane doesn't seem to matter a lot.

Some folks think of other planes as obstacles; most of us think of people in those planes with the same rights and entitlements as us. Yes, there should be concessions for some performance issues and respect for some planes carrying a lot of folks, but most of us try to work with others and blend in. If Mr. business guy wants to spend a lot of money to go fast, that's great, but he's not entitled to get in front of other folks because he's burning a bunch of kerosene.

Had a hot shot in a TBM in a big hurry on the runway ask tower why the Baron was cleared in front of him. Well, the Baron was there first, got it's clearance first and was waiting to depart when the TBM rolled out. Mr. hot shot lost radios on climb out in ice. Mr. Baron pilot, who had been holding him up, had to relay for him or he would have been NORDO.

Many of you probably recall I had a Westwind blast off into me when I was on an ILS on short final couple months ago. The guy in the G IV in front of me was great.

I have to slow for a lot of folks; doesn't bother me. What does sometimes annoy me is when approach says speed up and tower says slow to lowest possible speed or visa versa. But, I deal with it. These are people in these planes; most are nice, friendly and professional. A few aren't proficient, think too much of themself, and make a bad name for all of us. The folks on here try real hard to be in the first category.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
What does sometimes annoy me is when approach says speed up and tower says slow to lowest possible speed or visa versa. But, I deal with it.

Ahh yes, the Newark/New York Approach special.
Approach: "Maintain 190kts to five mile final, contact the tower 118.3."
Us: "Good afternoon Newark, 3227 on the ILS 22L, 190 to five miles."
Tower: "190?!? 3227 reduce to final now, you're 5.5 in trail of a heavy 757 with an 80kt overtake."

A few seconds later: "Alright, 3227, there's now a 737 on the loc behind you, maintain 150kts for as long as practical. Runway 22L, you're clear to land, caution wake turbulence; break, Continental ###, all the way back to final."

Talk about a wonderfully stabilized approach.

So now that we're off topic...how 'bout them LSAs? :D

Back