LSA in CT

Nub_Pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jeremy's new interest
Not sure if this the correct place to post this. If this is the wrong place, mods please move.

Recently, a Connecticut flight school Learn2FlyCT now has an LSA and able to train anyone for their Sport Pilot or Private Pilot certificate.

https://learn2flyct.com/our-aircraft/

They have a Pipistrel ALPHA Trainer for flight instruction or rental. This is a great opportunity for any PPL's that are not flying due to expired medical's and missed out on the BasicMed dates. Its not the fastest plane available, but sill gives more opportunities to folk that can't get a medical for any reason but still have a drivers license (that's me) or those that have expired.

Hi Jeremy. That is great news. I started my PPL in Simsbury and the 172 is about the same speed of the alpha trainer. Now that I'm working 100% from home Simsbury is no longer close for me. I'm thinking about starting up with Phil Smith in Sept. At 128 per hour block rate that is 40 per hpur cheaper than the 172. When are you going to start training?

Tony,
I am letting the CFI's get some time under their belt because it is so different than the 172 and Warriors they currently have, but I will be talking with a couple of the CFI's and see when I can start my training. I am hoping to start next week and the ability to at least schedule 3 days of training. I know Phil is still getting the Sport Pilot lesson plans together, but if you're going for your PPL then they already have everything planned out and loaded into Flight Circle too.
Phil is a passionate about flying and making it better for everyone, including the environment which is why he is starting the Green Aviation Initiative. I am looking forward to being more involved with flying and with his school.

The toughest part for me is that I'm an hour away and the commuting could become a small issue, but one I'm willing to take on and move forward with my aviation plans.

if you even considering it, I highly recommend you go give it a try....as Phil says all the time "its a little Rocket" it climbs at about 750-1000ft/min at MTOW. I call it "the little sports car of the air"

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy & Tony ... I realize this is a very old thread, but an easy way (maybe) to connect with both of you. I started PPL training at Bridgeport CT KBDR, but have realized that I will have trouble getting a 3rd Class Med ... ergo, my interest in Sport Pilot. I was extremely frustrated at first until I started researching LSAs and the (hopefully) potential of the MOSAIC rules. As both of you have mentioned, it's a bit challenging in CT. the school I started my training doesn't have an LSA, and I believe the only one in the state is at Brainard (not close but not terribly far because ... CT ;)). I would greatly appreciate it if I could pick one or both of your brains about this. LMK, and thanks! -Pete

You can also do Sport Pilot training at Chester (SNC) in a 100HP J-3 Cub. Alas, you can't rent it afterwards (hand propping / insurance).

Pete,
I travel just over an hour to take lessons at KHFD in the Alpha Trainer. It is very light on the controls and very easy to over control if your used to the "heavier" planes. Let me know what questions you have as I have about 40+ hours in that plane. Aside from training, that plane is available from rental once you complete your certificate.

You can also do Sport Pilot training at Chester (SNC) in a 100HP J-3 Cub. Alas, you can't rent it afterwards (hand propping / insurance).
Dana, thank you! appreciate you chiming in ... doing a little research now for Chester - is that with Chester Taildraggers? Glad to know that's an option.

Pete,
I travel just over an hour to take lessons at KHFD in the Alpha Trainer. It is very light on the controls and very easy to over control if your used to the "heavier" planes. Let me know what questions you have as I have about 40+ hours in that plane. Aside from training, that plane is available from rental once you complete your certificate.
Thank you Nub_Pilot! I really haven't flown much in GA planes, just a couple hours in 172 and Piper PA-28, so i haven't really gotten "used" to anything yet. The place where I had begun stressed getting the medical stuff sorted early-on, which I'm thankful for.

The Pipistrel looks like a little marvel ... I've spoken with learn2flyCT about training with them, has your experience been a positive one with that outfit? I think I'm more interested in a modern aircraft like that, than something older (altho' I love looking at Ercoupes and J-3 Cubs!)

Also, just wondering about the experience of being a Sport Pilot in CT airspace — still working out the differences in the certificate regarding controlled airspace, comms, etc.

appreciate your input! -Pete

Dana, thank you! appreciate you chiming in ... doing a little research now for Chester - is that with Chester Taildraggers? Glad to know that's an option.
That sounds right. It's actually through the FBO (Chester Charter) but I think Jeff (one of the SP-CFIs) set up his own website.

Also, just wondering about the experience of being a Sport Pilot in CT airspace — still working out the differences in the certificate regarding controlled airspace, comms, etc.
Not a big deal at all. The main issue (for non aircraft owners) is finding a LSA to rent.

Thank you Nub_Pilot! I really haven't flown much in GA planes, just a couple hours in 172 and Piper PA-28, so i haven't really gotten "used" to anything yet. The place where I had begun stressed getting the medical stuff sorted early-on, which I'm thankful for.

The Pipistrel looks like a little marvel ... I've spoken with learn2flyCT about training with them, has your experience been a positive one with that outfit? I think I'm more interested in a modern aircraft like that, than something older (altho' I love looking at Ercoupes and J-3 Cubs!)

appreciate your input! -Pete

Once you get your endorsement for D/C class airspace there is no difference at all - you can fly anywhere a private VFR pilot can fly ( except flying at night which you cannot as a Sport Pilot )

For the planned flying I would be doing, the Sport Pilot certificate covers most of it. I'm unable to get a medical and thought I was out of luck until I learned about Sport Pilot and has been amazing. I agree that the modern style plane is great and easy to fly with modern avionics. I've had great experiences with Learn2FlyCT, but a recent issue was instructors checked out in that plane or willing to train in it due to the differences then what they are "used to" in the heavier planes. They now have 4 instructors available to train in the Alpha. Personally, for my experience I've been through 5 instructors from the school, due to family issues, personal injury, weather, plane maintenance issues, and the instructors moving up to the airlines.

Remember you can always train in a non LSA (skyhawk, etc.). You just can't solo or do your checkride in one.

Wow I just saw this. Hi Pete. My office is moving 2 miles from KHFD so I will be jumping in N520AT soon! I will DM you with My contact information

Wow I just saw this. Hi Pete. My office is moving 2 miles from KHFD so I will be jumping in N520AT soon! I will DM you with My contact information
Tony, are you an instructor or student? I'm looking for an instructor in that plane.

Student. Not sure if I want to do ppl or sport. Wife will not fly so no reason to have 4 seats.

Student. Not sure if I want to do ppl or sport. Wife will not fly so no reason to have 4 seats.
Oh and a medical that can be taken away. In perfect health so I could get medical, and probably should, then basic med thereafter. But with SP I can be flying sooner.

Oh and a medical that can be taken away. In perfect health so I could get medical, and probably should, then basic med thereafter. But with SP I can be flying sooner.
highly recommend getting your medical first if there is any doubt. I choose the SP route due to risks to get medical (as advised by 2 AME's), didn't want to take the chance of denial. My wife doesn't like to fly in big planes so there is no chance she will get in any GA. I'm also getting into Ultralights too, just need to get airport permission to fly out of.

In perfect health so I could get medical,
Perfect health and ability to get a medical don't correlate as well as one might think. But, if you can get a medical, I would suggest going the PP route - that leaves you open for options such as a Cessna 150 - yes, they are big, but often lower cost to rent / buy. And, you can simply let the medical expire if there is an issue or you buy an LSA some time in the future.

Quirky things: In class G, you need 1 mile of visibility if you have a medical (and PP), 3 miles if you don't.

You can go into Canadian airspace with a medical / PP.

You can do preventative maintenance on your Cub if you have a PP, but not a SP ticket.
https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-...endix A to Part 43#p-Appendix-A-to-Part-43(c)

You need endorsements for aircraft faster or slower than 87 knots Vh if you have the SP ticket, but not a private.

Probably a couple other things that are not coming to mind at the moment.

IMHO the biggest difference is that both PPL and SPL take about the same amount of effort to obtain - after all, the hard part is to learn to fly a plane which is exactly the same for both - minor differences on how long is your cross country and stuff like that are irrelevant, you either fail or succeed on the first part - learning to fly a plane( and frankly spending most of your time practicing landings over and over again )

In other words, unless you can’t get your medical, SPL does not make much sense … as it takes about the same effort but does not provide same benefits as PPL.

Perfect health and ability to get a medical don't correlate as well as one might think. But, if you can get a medical, I would suggest going the PP route - that leaves you open for options...

Quirky things: In class G, you need 1 mile of visibility if you have a medical (and PP), 3 miles if you don't.

Yes, one can be in "perfect health" but if you answer yes to any of the "have you ever" questions you can be in trouble and potentially lose the SP option for things like a bored child ADHD diagnosis or a DUI 30 years ago.

@Nub_Pilot looks like wx scrubbed your check ride. When is the reschedule?
right now 17 Oct, unfortunelty the DPE is going on family vacation. I bet its a well deserved vacation as I've heard that DPE's are so understaffed and fully booked out for weeks.

I took 520AT up today.... Great plane. Solid, smooth, responsive and nimble. I really enjoyed that plane.
Blue Skies
Tony

glad you had a good time and hope this instructor works out better. it sure is a fun little plane to fly. everyone calls it the Ferrari of the sky, not super fast but very nimble and responsive.

Repeating this from our DM I think other pilots might appreciate the pirep:

I have flown 5 planes to date,
1975 C172
2003 C172
Piper warrior
Piper Malibu 46
Pipistrel Alpha trainer

I really loved the Alpha Trainer. The Malibu was amazing but outside of my skills.

One thing that was hard to get used to was the rudder. You have to lead with the aileron to coordinate. The is so much rudder authority.

Awesome Job!!!!! Congratulations Jeremy! So much tenacity. We need to meet in person and celebrate. LMK if you can make it to River restaurant , very close to KHFD, for a celebration toast. They have a great happy hour.

I take 520AT up tomorrow. I love that little LSA.

Back