Lowering the solo age, Essay

Here is what I've decided on for that.

My 26.9 Hours in a Cessna 152 is more than enough to fly alone, but I’m restrained by the Federal Aviation Regulations part 61.83 and 61.87. These regulations only add unneeded apprehension because they make it seem as though it is unsafe to solo at an age under 16 despite the fact that I have proven to my flight instructor that I am able operate an aircraft without supervision. The “one size fits all” plan for these regulations no longer works.

Any other tips or things wrong, let me know!

Too many numbers, no one will care about them. What is a Cessna 152? Do you really think your audience will know? You might want to give the flight instructor some credentials. "Expert", or FAA-licensed or some such. Bolsters your argument.

No. Indicating one website, many authors is ok though.

I did put a bibliography for this website in, Is that enough? And Yes I was very careful not to copy any of those suggestions, I too am against plagiarism.

I did put a bibliography for this website in, Is that enough? And Yes I was very careful not to copy any of those suggestions, I too am against plagiarism.
I must admit... I, too, am against plagiarism. It's simply an improper action.

:D

Good luck on the paper, Austin!

Thanks for all of your help guys, but the bibliography on this site for the essay, is it enough?

I've never understood the reasoning behind structured educations attempts at preventing collaboration and use of prior-work. The part that always bugged me the most was the teacher's lack of understanding with regards to the internet. They just fail at teaching you how to properly use outside resources.

In the real world--if I didn't use other peoples work and google everything I did I'd get about nothing done. Sure, you need to learn to be independent and you need the ability to figure something out on your own. In the end though--rebuilding the wheel constantly seems so pointless to me--even when it comes to writing an article or essay.

Last edited:
I've never understood the reasoning behind structured educations attempts at preventing collaboration and use of prior-work.

In the real world--if I didn't use other peoples work and google everything I did I'd get about nothing done.

Jesse is a great influence on the world :rofl:

I've never understood the reasoning behind structured educations attempts at preventing collaboration and use of prior-work. The part that always bugged me the most was the teacher's lack of understanding with regards to the internet. They just fail at teaching you how to properly use outside resources.

In the real world--if I didn't use other peoples work and google everything I did I'd get about nothing done. Sure, you need to learn to be independent and you need the ability to figure something out on your own. In the end though--rebuilding the wheel constantly seems so pointless to me--even when it comes to writing an article or essay.

I have given my students numerous assignments where collaboration and outside information are more than welcome. I have designed assignments to get my students on to the internet. Don't judge the whole world by your experience.

My favorites are teachers (my English 101 teacher was one) that want you to write an essay, and limit your sources to only one internet based source.

Its 2008 (2006 at the time). Anything that can be found in a library or dictionary or encyclopedia or magazine, etc. can be found on the internet, and is often filled with more information than any other print media.

Ever watch a teacher try to figure out how to properly cite a website in MLS format? That's hillarious.

Don't judge the whole world by your experience.
Don't associate yourself with any comment you see written. I wasn't judging the world--I was judging my experience and observations. You're free to to do whatever you'd like with them.

From the way you wrote your missive it was not clear that you were criticizing a select group of educators.

Research is the act of reading several books that no one has ever read in order to write yet another book that won't be read either.

Research is the act of reading several books that no one has ever read in order to write yet another book that won't be read either.

Another truth brought to you by Scott Migaldi: pilot, philosopher, pain-in-the-***. :D

Hey guys, This is my final draft for school. There is still time to make revisions if you see anything. If there is anything else I should add for a version going to the FAA just let me know. Tell me how it seems from a Teacher's point of view and the FAA's. As always I'm open to criticism.

To the Federal Aviation Administration,
I’m sure you’ve had to wait for something that you really wanted at some point in your life. For me the thing I want is over two years away. If you had to wait that long wouldn’t you try to do something about it? Well I am. As a thirteen year old single engine student pilot, I have a while until I can fly without anyone in the right seat. I would give nearly anything to shorten that time. I propose that the Federal Aviation Administration lower the solo age for an airplane. This may sound like a preposterous idea, but it’s for the best. Anything that could be done to lessen the wait for me and pilots like me to solo would make me very grateful toward your organization.

According to the International Civil Aviation Organization, countries have to respect other countries rules regarding Aviation. Because of this, Canadians can solo at age 15 in the United States, so why can’t Americans?

Soloing a glider definitely has similar responsibilities to soloing a powered plane. For me at least, it does not make sense that the glider’s solo age is two years younger than the age at which you can solo a powered heavier-than-air aircraft. Flying gliders could even be more dangerous because of your lack of ability to go-around or regain altitude easily if you make a mistake, your margin of error in a glider is much lower. This makes me wonder why there is a difference in the solo age. Because we have no significant problems with the glider solo age; what would be wrong with lowering the powered flight age?

I believe the reason that the Solo age is currently 16 is because the FAA thinks that it will make you safer or more mature. This is not at all true. Age doesn’t determine your safety ability, safety ability does that. It is not logical to assume someone is much safer once reaching a certain age. Perhaps a test that concentrates on safety could be used to determine if you are eligible to solo, but age is not a determining factor in that. My 26.9 Hours of experience in a Cessna 152 training aircraft is more than enough to fly alone, but I’m restrained by the Federal Aviation Regulations part 61.83 and 61.87. These regulations only add unneeded apprehension because they make it seem as though it is unsafe to solo at an age under 16. Even though I have proven to my very expert flight instructor that I am able operate an aircraft without supervision, I cannot. The “one size fits all” plan for these regulations no longer works.

Younger people would benefit from this in several ways. Not only would they be able to solo earlier, but having a real sense of responsibility would be great for improving character as well. It’s more than likely that they would also be much better automobile drivers if the youth of aviation can work with motor vehicles. Studies show that youth that are closely related to aviation tend to commit less crime and have improved grades. A fourteen year old pilot is definitely more likely to better bestow support onto society later in life than someone who is not affiliated with aircraft. Aviation in the young will undoubtedly be very beneficial to all.

Think about the positive impact on Aviation this would have. Many more people would be interested in flight, expanding the realm of aviation. If pilots receive their license with more flight time they would have more experience making the skies safer. The aircraft economy would boom as well. If there are more pilots then there would be a greater demand for planes creating more jobs, all of this from a simple change such as lowering the solo age.

There are so many benefits to lowering the solo age that there is really no excuse not to. With the possibility of strengthening the economy and increasing safety I truly cannot think of a reason why not to. Even pleasure is involved with the lowering of the solo age, Imagine being able to be at one amongst the birds without someone sitting next to you instructing what you need to do. The world of aviation does indeed need this.
Sincerely,
Austin Levin

“Pilots of America” [Online] Available http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/

Last edited:
Hey guys, This is my final draft for school. There is still time to make revisions if you see anything. If there is anything else I should add for a version going to the FAA just let me know. Tell me how it seems from a Teacher's point of view and the FAA's. As always I'm open to criticism.

To the Federal Aviation Administration,
I’m sure you’ve had to wait for something that you really wanted at some point in your life. For me the thing I want is over two years away. If you had to wait that long wouldn’t you try to do something about it? Well I am. As a thirteen year old single engine student pilot, I have a while until I can fly without anyone in the right seat. I would give nearly anything to shorten that time. I propose that the Federal Aviation Administration lower the solo age for an airplane. This may sound like a preposterous idea, but it’s for the best. Anything that could be done to lessen the wait for me and pilots like me to solo would make me very grateful toward your organization.

According to the International Civil Aviation Organization, countries have to respect other countries rules regarding Aviation. Because of this, Canadians can solo at age 15 in the United States, so why can’t Americans?

Soloing a glider definitely has similar responsibilities to soloing a powered plane. For me at least, it does not make sense that the glider’s solo age is two years younger than the age at which you can solo a powered heavier-than-air aircraft. Flying gliders could even be more dangerous because of your lack of ability to go-around or regain altitude easily if you make a mistake, your margin of error in a glider is much lower. This makes me wonder why there is a difference in the solo age. Because we have no significant problems with the glider solo age; what would be wrong with lowering the powered flight age?

I believe the reason that the Solo age is currently 16 is because the FAA thinks that it will make you safer or more mature. This is not at all true. Age doesn’t determine your safety ability, safety ability does that. It is not logical to assume someone is much safer once reaching a certain age. Perhaps a test that concentrates on safety could be used to determine if you are eligible to solo, but age is not a determining factor in that. My 26.9 Hours of experience in a Cessna 152 training aircraft is more than enough to fly alone, but I’m restrained by the Federal Aviation Regulations part 61.83 and 61.87. These regulations only add unneeded apprehension because they make it seem as though it is unsafe to solo at an age under 16. Even though I have proven to my very expert flight instructor that I am able operate an aircraft without supervision, I cannot. The “one size fits all” plan for these regulations no longer works.

Younger people would benefit from this in several ways. Not only would they be able to solo earlier, but having a real sense of responsibility would be great for improving character as well. It’s more than likely that they would also be much better automobile drivers if the youth of aviation can work with motor vehicles. Studies show that youth that are closely related to aviation tend to commit less crime and have improved grades. A fourteen year old pilot is definitely more likely to better bestow support onto society later in life than someone who is not affiliated with aircraft. Aviation in the young will undoubtedly be very beneficial to all.

Think about the positive impact on Aviation this would have. Many more people would be interested in flight, expanding the realm of aviation. If pilots receive their license with more flight time they would have more experience making the skies safer. The aircraft economy would boom as well. If there are more pilots then there would be a greater demand for planes creating more jobs, all of this from a simple change such as lowering the solo age.

There are so many benefits to lowering the solo age that there is really no excuse not to. With the possibility of strengthening the economy and increasing safety I truly cannot think of a reason why not to. Even pleasure is involved with the lowering of the solo age, Imagine being able to be at one amongst the birds without someone sitting next to you instructing what you need to do. The world of aviation does indeed need this.
Sincerely,
Austin Levin

“Pilots of America” [Online] Available http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/
This is so much better than your first try. Great job.

One comment: Remove the introductory clause I underlined. The logic is backward from your point. You can replace it with "Since," and remove the "so" if you want or just remove it altogether.

Just at a glance, I'll tell you I like a lot of your arguments, particularly the positive effects of flight training discipline on teen behavior. Pointing out that other countries have lower ages is a good one, too.

Criticisms: again, I'm not looking to re-write this for you, haven't really thought about it much, but offhand, there are only two things I see wrong so far:

First: I know you're trying to convey your frustration, but to an official, the general tone might seem a bit "whiney", thus immature, thus negating your solid arguments.
I'd advise you to cut back on the "I'm tired of waiting!" stuff and focus on the "this is illogical" parts. I also don't think appealing to the reader's emotions will help your case. There are lots of passionate aviation supporters and pilots in the FAA, but don't assume they will read this, or be the ones to consider a rule change.

I hate to say it, but it's almost irrelevant (to such a body as the FAA) that student pilots who are ready but not old enough are annoyed by it. You need to prove that it's illogical, and that younger pilots are an asset. I'd keep any mention of passion or enthusiasm focused mainly on the positive points, not the "but we wanna fly!" stuff... although I do feel your pain, believe me.

Second: you don't really propose a specific minimum age, other than mentioning Canada's rules. You should close this essay with a summation that clearly states what you are asking for.

Good luck, but remember: they have to draw a line somewhere, like with every other age-related law... there's no law that will make everybody happy.

Good work Austin,
If this is more than a lesson and a real desire you have; ask for a special permit (hard ship license for cars) something special for you. Then show them how well you did before you ask to change the law.
Good luck and good work.
Jay

I'm kind of late in here, and didn't think I saw anything relating the difference's in ages for soloing from country to country as the differences at which age you can get a drivers license from state to state. I know here at school, we've got some guys that only have been driving cars since they were 18. In Kansas, you can get a drivers license as low as 14, but most it is 15. However, it varies from state to state, do to a whole multitude of things.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for letting anyone who is mature enough to fly, fly.
Heck, I'm only 19, and well, I know a lot of guys I go to school with I'd never fly with, but I know a lot of 15/16 year old guys I would rather go fly with. It all comes down to maturity

Actually, it no longer is much of a restriction to me as I'm now 16, but I've wanted to fly for a long time, and I'd have loved to do it (and probably could have been able to pay for it) when I was 14-15. Now I'm gonna be waiting until I'm out of college, and even if I could now, I'd wait 6 months until I wouldn't be held up waiting for the check ride. Because 1 year to get 60 hours (which is what most pilots will acquire before a check ride, right?) would put you at a little more than 1hr per week. Not too much flying. If they were 6 months apart, you could get the license with about 2.3 hr per week. I'm not how sure the ideal lesson is, but I'm gonna take a guess that its longer than 1hr.

I think the two should be closer together, and a good argument for why they an be lower is that many people who would go for the license would be inherently more aware of their actions behind the controls of a vehicle, and would be more safe than the average driver. Not everyone who gets their driver's license and then drivers very dangerously is gonna go for a pilot's license. Only those who have and understanding of what they are doing and can do it well are gonna get that license, and that will weed out the dangerous ones, and keep it just as safe. Age doesn't determine your safety ability, its your safety ability that determines that. As an example, my parents have had me moving our cars around since I was 15. I still don't even have my temps. However, When I was pulling cars into and out of our driveway when I was 15, I know I was exhibiting better driving skills than a good number of the kids that have a license and drive at our school.

Sorry if that didn't make sense, but I hope it does. Just trying to add my $.02, even if its not the most coherent thing you have ever read.

If age doesn't seperate the safe,:yikes: the ground certainly will

Back