Lowering the solo age, Essay

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Hey guys, I have to write a persuasive essay for school and I chose to write to the FAA. My topic is to lower the Solo age for Airplanes. I was wondering if I could get some ideas on how to. I dont at all expect it to be changed but you never know! I already have one point, According to the International Civil Aviation Organization Canadians can solo at the age of 15 in the U.S. So why wouldn't an American be able to? I know that the FAA has to "suck up" to ICAO (Thank you Mark) So maybe some more points pertaining to that would help. But any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

Well hawkeye the best thing to do is first make an outline list each reason you think the solo age sould be lowered then create sub categories that list facts and arugments supporting each point.

I can't tell you the reasons it should be lowered even If I had ideas remember this is your position anad your argument so you need to come up with the reasons it should be lowered. Best of luck with the project. Remember persuasion is not about being right its about supporting your position with facts and cogent argument.

in case you dont know, the age is 14 to solo a glider in the US

Austin,

You say you don't expect it to be lowered based on your essay. But, it's the heart and passion you put into a reasoned argument that will carry its weight further. You have to sincerely believe the argument you make and that you and other students could benefit greatly by the change. It's that same passion that allow lawyers to argue for the client they believe in.

Under the supervision of CFIs, pilots in the making could become much better pilots while continuing to build skill and experience. You might offer concessions during that extra year, e.g., more frequent solo endorsements (thirty days rather than ninety).

Best of luck to you on this writing. I'll look forward to your completed essay if you're willing to share it.

You have been given a good point to add to your argument and that is glider solo is 14. Can you pull some data from Canada on young solo students and accident? Same in the US with the FAA for gliders and then pull accident data for US student solos at 16. What you are looking for to support your argument is that there is no significant difference between the data.

The solo age used to be lower. You might consider doing a little research on why it was raised and aim you argument to counter those points.

Hey guys, I have to write a persuasive essay for school and I chose to write to the FAA. My topic is to lower the Solo age for Airplanes. I was wondering if I could get some ideas on how to. I dont at all expect it to be changed but you never know! I already have one point, According to the International Civil Aviation Organization Canadians can solo at the age of 15 in the U.S. So why wouldn't an American be able to? I know that the FAA has to "suck up" to ICAO (Thank you Mark) So maybe some more points pertaining to that would help. But any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

If you want to lower the solo age, should the minimum age to hold a certifivate be lowered as well? Not old enough to drive, but can be sole manipulator of the controls of a fixed wing aircraft. That would definately cure all hearburn about finding a date to the prom...at a school 2 states away!

Austin, since this is your paper, and it is scorable for your school, wouldn't soliciting assistance on the internet be considered academic misconduct? I'm not trying to be mean, I just haven't thought about the implications of the internet age on secondary education.

Nearest gliderport is 1.5 hour drive away.

Now you need to support an arguement that the distance from your home to the gliderport is a problem that the FAA should solve.

(I don't think your statement here is a valid point in support of lowering the age requirement. But I do wish you the best for your paper.)

-Skip

Austin, since this is your paper, and it is scorable for your school, wouldn't soliciting assistance on the internet be considered academic misconduct? I'm not trying to be mean, I just haven't thought about the implications of the internet age on secondary education.
I think he is jsut asking advise, should be no foul in that. If he was asking us to write it for him then that would be wrong. Later when he gets it drafted asking for us to review and offer comments is fine to. IMHO. I see no difference than him walking into a library and asking for some assitance on what sources he should be looking at. Bottom line: he was assigned this topic to learn how to form and argument and gather facts, we are only pointing him in fdirection and teaching how to make his argument, not actually making the argument for him.

I don't see how this is any different from going to the airport and asking other pilots for ideas. Good luck with this, Austin. I think you have been given some great pointers on where to start.

Could be you guys are right. Polling pilots (who are really expert stand-ins) is a very different thing than doing research in the library. Like I said, I haven't quite wrapped my head around the impact of the internet on secondary education. I give out assignments where this sort of thing would clearly be academic misconduct. This one might not fit the bill, though.

Nearest gliderport is 1.5 hour drive away.
That's not a very compelling argument... :fingerwag:

At one point during my PPASEL training, I had no car, and to get from home to TEB, I had to take two trains and a bus to get to the airport. Took about 1 1/2 hrs. When that school started a satellite facility at N07, I would take a bus direct from Newark, but the nearest stop was just over a mile from the airport. Did that for months, in all kinds of weather. While working full-time, including weekends and some evenings.

And I was no kid at the time... although if I was, I'd probably have whined about the long commute to my lessons. :D

Or maybe not: I think if I'd decided to go for it at 14 and had the means to do so, I'd have crawled a mile over broken glass to get to the airport.

It's a privilege, even a "measly" glider rating... not supposed to be easy to get.

Nor to sound overly harsh, and believe me, I remember well what it was like to be 14, but saying "I don't have time" or "that's too much trouble" for something so important when you're 14 is possibly a sign that you're not mature enough yet. Not passing judgement, I don't know you; but something to think about. Exercising even glider PIC privileges requires dedication, sacrifice, and, of course, patience.

Last edited:
Could be you guys are right. Polling pilots (who are really expert stand-ins) is a very different thing than doing research in the library. Like I said, I haven't quite wrapped my head around the impact of the internet on secondary education. I give out assignments where this sort of thing would clearly be academic misconduct. This one might not fit the bill, though.
Doing research is doing research whether it is on the internet or asking someone in person. I don't see how it would be wrong as long as we don't write his paper for him. Besides, in his case I think he will be graded more on the construction of the paper and if he makes a logical argument, not on the subject of the argument himself. Remember, Austin is in middle school.

One consideration in proposing a rule change is whether there is any demand for it. Are there many 14 or 15 year-olds interested in flying who are held up by the current rule?

Considering the state of the industry today, I wonder if you have a sufficient number of people who might benefit to justify a rule change.

Would you also propose lowering the age for a Private or Recreational certificate? If not what is the advantage to be gained by soloing, since solo flight is designed to gain experience in preparation for a full license?

Jon

One consideration in proposing a rule change is whether there is any demand for it. Are there many 14 or 15 year-olds interested in flying who are held up by the current rule?

Actually, it no longer is much of a restriction to me as I'm now 16, but I've wanted to fly for a long time, and I'd have loved to do it (and probably could have been able to pay for it) when I was 14-15. Now I'm gonna be waiting until I'm out of college, and even if I could now, I'd wait 6 months until I wouldn't be held up waiting for the check ride. Because 1 year to get 60 hours (which is what most pilots will acquire before a check ride, right?) would put you at a little more than 1hr per week. Not too much flying. If they were 6 months apart, you could get the license with about 2.3 hr per week. I'm not how sure the ideal lesson is, but I'm gonna take a guess that its longer than 1hr.

I think the two should be closer together, and a good argument for why they an be lower is that many people who would go for the license would be inherently more aware of their actions behind the controls of a vehicle, and would be more safe than the average driver. Not everyone who gets their driver's license and then drivers very dangerously is gonna go for a pilot's license. Only those who have and understanding of what they are doing and can do it well are gonna get that license, and that will weed out the dangerous ones, and keep it just as safe. Age doesn't determine your safety ability, its your safety ability that determines that. As an example, my parents have had me moving our cars around since I was 15. I still don't even have my temps. However, When I was pulling cars into and out of our driveway when I was 15, I know I was exhibiting better driving skills than a good number of the kids that have a license and drive at our school.

Sorry if that didn't make sense, but I hope it does. Just trying to add my $.02, even if its not the most coherent thing you have ever read.

I think he is jsut asking advise, should be no foul in that. If he was asking us to write it for him then that would be wrong. Later when he gets it drafted asking for us to review and offer comments is fine to. IMHO. I see no difference than him walking into a library and asking for some assitance on what sources he should be looking at. Bottom line: he was assigned this topic to learn how to form and argument and gather facts, we are only pointing him in fdirection and teaching how to make his argument, not actually making the argument for him.

Heh... This reminds me of a time in college. I had to repeat a chemistry course, and I found out the night before an important exam that the prof used the same exams every semester. Unfortunately, my stuff from the previous semester was at home. I called home and asked my parents to grab the exam from the previous semester and read it to me. My mom sat there and lectured me about how wrong that was, while my dad went down to get the exam and read it to me, explaining that "If that professor is dumb enough to use the same exam twice, there's not a darn thing wrong with using it to study."

Oh, and my dad is a professor (now retired, emeritus). :rofl: :D

Here is my second draft, any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated :redface:.

To the Federal Aviation Administration,
I’m sure you’ve had to wait for something that you really wanted at some point in your life. Well for me, that thing I want is over two years away. If you had to wait that long wouldn’t you try to do something about it? Well I am. As a thirteen year old single engine student pilot, I have a while until I can fly without anyone in the right seat. I would give nearly anything to shorten that time. I propose that the Federal Aviation Administration lowers the solo age for an airplane. This may sound like a preposterous idea, but it’s for the best. Anything that could be done to lessen the wait for me and pilots like me to solo would make me very grateful toward your organization.

According to the International Civil Aviation Organization, Countries have to respect other countries rules regarding Aviation. Because of this Canadians can solo at age 15 in the United States, so why can’t Americans? You may be thinking, Why not just fly a glider, they can be soloed at 14? Well I gladly would if there were a glider port under a 45 minute drive away, however; this is not the case.

I believe the reason that the Solo age is currently 16 is because the FAA thinks that it will make you safer or more mature. This is not at all true. Age doesn’t determine your safety ability, safety ability does that. It is not logical to assume someone is much safer once reaching a certain age. Perhaps a test that concentrates on safety could be used to determine if you are eligible to solo, but age is NOT a determining factor in that. My 26.9 Hours in a Cessna 152 is more than enough to fly alone, but I’m restrained by the Federal Aviation Regulations part 61.83 and 61.87.

Younger people would benefit from this in several ways as well. Not only would they be able to solo earlier, but having a real sense of responsibility would be great for improving character as well. It’s more than likely that they would also be much better automobile drivers if the youth of aviation can work with motor vehicles. So aviation in the young will be very beneficial to all.

Think about the positive impact on Aviation this would have. Many more people would be interested in flight, expanding the realm of flight. It would even make it safer if pilots receive their license with more flight time they would have more experience making the skies safer. The aircraft economy would boom as well. If there are more pilots then there would be a greater demand for planes creating more jobs, all of this from a simple change such as lowering the solo age.

There are so many benefits to lowering the solo age that there is really no excuse not to. With the possibility of strengthening the economy and increasing safety I truly cannot think of a reason of why not to. Even pleasure is involved with the lowering of it, Imagine being able to be at one amongst the birds without someone sitting next to you instructing what you need to do. The world of aviation does indeed need this.
Sincerely,
Austin Levin

“Pilots of America” [Online] Available http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/

Last edited:
Here is my second draft, any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated :redface:.

I’m sure you’ve had to wait for something that you really wanted at some point in your life. Well for me, that thing I want is over two years away. If you had to wait that long wouldn’t you try to do something about it? Well I am. As a thirteen year old single engine student pilot, I have a while until I can fly without anyone in the right seat. I would give nearly anything to shorten that time. I propose that the Federal Aviation Administration lowers the solo age for an airplane. This may sound like a preposterous idea, but it’s for the best. Anything that could be done to lessen the wait for me and pilots like me to solo would make me very grateful toward your organization.

According to the International Civil Aviation Organization, Countries have to respect other countries rules regarding Aviation. Because of this Canadians can solo at age 15 in the United States, so why can’t Americans? You may be thinking, Why not just fly a glider, they can be soloed at 14? Well I gladly would if there were a glider port under a 45 minute drive away, however; this is not the case.

I believe the reason that the Solo age is currently 16 is because the FAA thinks that it will make you safer or more mature. This is not at all true. Age doesn’t determine your safety ability, safety ability does that. It is not logical to assume someone is much safer once reaching a certain age. Perhaps a test that concentrates on safety could be used to determine if you are eligible to solo, but age is NOT a determining factor in that. My 26.9 Hours in a Cessna 152 is more than enough to fly alone, but I’m restrained by the Federal Aviation Regulations part 61.83 and 61.87.

Younger people would benefit from this in several ways as well. Not only would they be able to solo earlier, but having a real sense of responsibility would be great for improving character as well. It’s more than likely that they would also be much better automobile drivers if the youth of aviation can work with motor vehicles. So aviation in the young will be very beneficial to all.

Think about the positive impact on Aviation this would have. Many more people would be interested in flight, expanding the realm of flight. It would even make it safer if pilots receive their license with more flight time they would have more experience making the skies safer. The aircraft economy would boom as well. If there are more pilots then there would be a greater demand for planes creating more jobs, all of this from a simple change such as lowering the solo age.

There are so many benefits to lowering the solo age that there is really no excuse not to. With the possibility of strengthening the economy and increasing safety I truly cannot think of a reason of why not to. Even pleasure is involved with the lowering of it, Imagine being able to be at one amongst the birds without someone sitting next to you instructing what you need to do. The world of aviation does indeed need this.
Sincerely,
Austin Levin

This is an essay, right? You have this formatted as a persuasive letter. Some advice from me to you:

I generally start with an outline to determine how my essay will be laid out...for example:

Code:
I. Thesis (argumentative statement)
  A. Supporting Statement
  B. Supporting Statement
  C. Supporting Statement
II. (A) From Above, general overview statement
  A. More in depth
  B. More in depth
  C. More in depth
III. (B) From Above
  A. More in depth
  B. More in depth
  C. More in depth
IV. (C) From above
  A. More in depth
  B. More in depth
  C. More in depth
V. Closing argument (restate of thesis)
  A. Final Argument 1
    1. Why
    2. How
  B. Final Argument 2
    1. Why
    2. How
  C. Final Argument 3
    1. Why
    2.  How

Its not the format most teachers give out, but it gives me a great basis for an essay. When converting the outline to an essay, its as simple as taking your ideas and filling in around them with facts and opinion. The thesis is the heart and soul of your paper.

And example (and don't go taking this verbatim, man, its important to avoid academic dishonesty by copying work without citation):

Code:
I. It is time to update the Federal Aviation Regulations to reflect the desires and needs of the younger population in the United States
    A. There is no safety benefit to restricting youth from flying
    B. The regulations were put in place to placate unreasonable fear
    C. A 14 year old pilot is more likely to be a better all around contributor to society later in life than a non pilot

That's the first paragraph in outline form. In essay form (by the way, dates and facts are fabricated for effect, I don't know if this crap is true):

Me said:
In 1974 the Federal Aviation Administration raised the age required to fly an airplane solo from 14 years of age to 16 years of age. At the time, a rash of accidents had been occuring that was scaring the non-flying public into believing that the rules were too lenient. A study done by Acme Independent Studies showed that there was no safety benefit to restricting the teenagers from flying as young as 14 years of age. A separate study showed that teenagers that are closely associated with aviation tend to have better grades and commit less crime than those students that do not have an interest or take part in flying at all. It is time to update the Federal Aviation Regulations to reflect the desires and needs of the younger population in the United States.

I sincerely hope this helps, Austin. Also - anyone that tells you "lead with a definition" is not a good person to listen to, as that is trite and and a horrible way to persuade someone. Unless its your teacher. Then she's still wrong, and setting a bad example, but she's going to be the one that is grading you. Play the game.

Last edited:
A few other things, and then I'm going to bed. In most educational essays, Austin, you don't want to have such short paragraphs, that is, paragraphs with less than 3 sentences, except in a few cases, are thin, and weaken your argument. A properly formed paragraph in an argumentative essay should have at least 3 sentences and should contain a main point or theme in each paragraph.

Also - while its not as big a deal as some teachers claim, using "I" is not really a good thing either. Replacing "I" with "one" is a cop out, find another way to do it...like "Studies show" instead of "I have seen." That's a bad example, but I hope you get what I mean.

Try to avoid having the same word in the subject as in the object. For example:
"Many more people would be interested in flight, expanding the realm of flight."

Rewriting that sentence would fringe on dishonesty for you, so I'll just way you need to find a way to reword it. Also - avoid empty words like "many" "very" etc.

I am not trying to bash on ya, it seems like I'm picking on your stuff a lot, but essays are my forte'. If you want more help, let me know. I know how frustrating it is to get a paper with a lot of red ink returned to me.

Last edited:
A few other things, and then I'm going to bed. In most educational essays, Austin, you don't want to have such short paragraphs, that is, paragraphs with less than 3 sentences, except in a few cases, are thin, and weaken your argument. A properly formed paragraph in an argumentative essay should have at least 3 sentences and should contain a main point or theme in each paragraph.

Also - while its not as big a deal as some teachers claim, using "I" is not really a good thing either. Replacing "I" with "one" is a cop out, find another way to do it...like "Studies show" instead of "I have seen." That's a bad example, but I hope you get what I mean.

Try to avoid having the same word in the subject as in the object. For example:
"Many more people would be interested in flight, expanding the realm of flight."

Rewriting that sentence would fringe on dishonesty for you, so I'll just way you need to find a way to reword it. Also - avoid empty words like "many" "very" etc.

I am not trying to bash on ya, it seems like I'm picking on your stuff a lot, but essays are my forte'. If you want more help, let me know. I know how frustrating it is to get a paper with a lot of red ink returned to me.

Thanks Nick!, Thanks to Ted too, Ill put those changes in.

According to the International Civil Aviation Organization, Countries have to respect other countries rules regarding Aviation. Because of this, Canadians can solo at age 15 in the United States, so why can’t Americans?

Soloing a glider definitely has similar responsibilities to soloing a powered plane. For me at least, it does not make sense that the glider’s solo age is two years younger than the age at which you can for a powered heavier-than-air aircraft. Flying gliders could even be more dangerous because your lack of ability to go-around or regain altitude easily if you make a mistake, your margin of error in a glider is much lower. Because we have no significant problems with the glider solo age; what would be wrong with lowering the powered flight age?

I believe the reason that the Solo age is currently 16 is because the FAA thinks that it will make you safer or more mature. This is not at all true. Age doesn’t determine your safety ability, safety ability does that. It is not logical to assume someone is much safer once reaching a certain age. Perhaps a test that concentrates on safety could be used to determine if you are eligible to solo, but age is NOT a determining factor in that.. My 26.9 Hours of experience in a Cessna 152 training aircraft is more than enough to fly alone, but I’m restrained by the Federal Aviation Regulations part 61.83 and 61.87. These regulations only add unneeded apprehension because they make it seem as though it is unsafe to solo at an age under 16. Even though I have proven to my very expert flight instructor that I am able operate an aircraft without supervision, I cannot. The “one size fits all” plan for these regulations no longer works.

Younger people would benefit from this in several ways as well. Not only would they be able to solo earlier, but having a real sense of responsibility would be great for improving character as well. It’s more than likely that they would also be much better automobile drivers if the youth of aviation can work with motor vehicles. Studies show that youth that are closely related to aviation tend to commit less crime and have improved grades. A fourteen year old pilot is definitely more likely to bestow support onto society later in life than someone who is not affiliated with aircraft. Aviation in the young will undoubtedly be very beneficial to all.

Think about the positive impact on Aviation this would have. Many more people would be interested in flight, expanding the realm of aviation. It would even make it safer if pilots receive their license with more flight time they would have more experience making the skies safer. The aircraft economy would boom as well. If there are more pilots then there would be a greater demand for planes creating more jobs, all of this from a simple change such as lowering the solo age.

Sincerely,
Austin Levin

Last edited:
Austin,
That is a very good essay for one of your age and education level, I'm sure you will get a good grade on it.

There's a couple of awkward sentences you could change.

This is not at all true. Age doesn’t determine your safety ability, safety ability does that.
This seem a bit circular to me.

My 26.9 Hours in a Cessna 152 is more than enough to fly alone, but I’m restrained by the Federal Aviation Regulations part 61.83 and 61.87 which only add unneeded apprehension.
I'm having a hard time with this one, sounds like whining.

Studies show that youth that are closely related to aviation tend to commit less come and have improved grades.
I think you mean crime not come.

A fourteen year old pilot is definitely more likely to be a better bestow support onto civilization later in life than someone who is not affiliated with aircraft.
Maybe you're missing a noun like be a better citizen, even so it's still not quite right.

My overall impression is that it is well written but the arguments are a bit thin. I think this is well above your level in school.

If I remember correctly the solo age was raised in response to a fatal accident involving a young woman trying to set a record, I believe it was youngest person to fly across the US but I could be wrong.

I apologize for criticizing your writing without offering more concrete suggestions for improvement, but I felt this being a school assignment, it was improper to suggest more than I have.

Good luck,

Joe

Austin,
That is a very good essay for one of your age and education level, I'm sure you will get a good grade on it.

There's a couple of awkward sentences you could change.

This seem a bit circular to me.

I'm having a hard time with this one, sounds like whining.

I think you mean crime not come.

Maybe you're missing a noun like be a better citizen, even so it's still not quite right.

My overall impression is that it is well written but the arguments are a bit thin. I think this is well above your level in school.

If I remember correctly the solo age was raised in response to a fatal accident involving a young woman trying to set a record, I believe it was youngest person to fly across the US but I could be wrong.

I apologize for criticizing your writing without offering more concrete suggestions for improvement, but I felt this being a school assignment, it was improper to suggest more than I have.

Good luck,

Joe

Its all constructive, Thanks for your help!

Good essay and some good points (do note Joe's corrections above BTW)

But I must say that you almost had me then lost me. Let me tell you where and then you can see if you can fix it.

I loved the Canadian and glider points that you made. I think these are the two central arguments to which you need to emphasis to make your point. But you lost me when you brought up driving. Without any data the emotion that was invoked was the "stupid teenage" driver apocryphal observation that most adults have. Add to that observation that many states are restricting teenage driver due to safety issues of real and perceived increased accident rates and one has to wonder if the solo age should not be increased to 18.

With driving much is being written to show how drivers below the age of 18 have significant disability to make good decisions. This bias will now be linked into your argument. I suggest you leave the comparison to flying only.

Again if you can show that there are few incidents with you solo students in gliders and in Canada I think that will be a really good part of your essay. You might even emphasis how glide flight can be more complicated than powered flight so that it the FAA is already not equating age to skill.

If you are talking about Jessica Dubroff, she crashed in Cheyenne, WY with her instructor. She was not solo, and the solo age did not change at that time. She was also only about 7 or 8. I think the regulation that was changed because of the accident had to do with children attempting to set records in airplanes.

. Perhaps a test that concentrates on safety could be used to determine if you are eligible to solo, but age is NOT a determining factor in that.

In a persuasive letter, I would avoid capitalizing an entire word for effect. This is more of an editorial form of emphasis, like bolding or italics, which also do not belong in a persuasive letter.

My 26.9 Hours in a Cessna 152 is more than enough to fly alone, but I’m restrained by the Federal Aviation Regulations part 61.83 and 61.87 which only add unneeded apprehension.

Need a "why" here, and you hit a valid point about the FAA causing more problems that solving with the rule. Why is there unneeded apprehension?

Studies show that youth that are closely related to aviation tend to commit less crime and have improved grades.

Which studies? Earlier I mentioned "Studies show" as a replacement for "I," but only when there's a citable study that shows it.

Think about the positive impact on Aviation this would have. Many more people would be interested in flight, expanding the realm of aviation. It would even make it safer if pilots receive their license with more flight time they would have more experience making the skies safer. The aircraft economy would boom as well. If there are more pilots then there would be a greater demand for planes creating more jobs, all of this from a simple change such as lowering the solo age.

EXCELLENT argument! Nicely written, and very persuasive.

Sincerely,
Austin Levin

Good job, Austin. The last paragraph is a bit "floaty" or "idealistic," though. Comes off a bit forced, imho. Also - I assume the last line, after your name is a citation? Its not in a proper citation form that I'm familiar with (MLA, Chicago, or umm....the other one). Since this is a letter, you might want to find out for sure if a separate works cited is necessary (and if it is, whether it should be a separate page). It is a bit distracting from the argument in the letter.

Need a "why" here, and you hit a valid point about the FAA causing more problems that solving with the rule. Why is there unneeded apprehension?
Would this work?
My 26.9 Hours in a Cessna 152 is more than enough to fly alone, but I’m restrained by the Federal Aviation Regulations part 61.83 and 61.87. These regulations only add unneeded apprehension because they make it seem as though it is unsafe to solo at an age under 16.

Would this work?
My 26.9 Hours in a Cessna 152 is more than enough to fly alone, but I’m restrained by the Federal Aviation Regulations part 61.83 and 61.87. These regulations only add unneeded apprehension because they make it seem as though it is unsafe to solo at an age under 16.

Try something like this

My 26.9 Hours in a Cessna 152 and my dual flight performance have proved to my CFI that I am qualified to fly alone, but I’m restricted by parts 61.83 and 61.87 of the Federal Aviation Regulations. These regulations fail to take into account the ability of the pilot and assume that anyone below the age of 16 is unsafe to solo.

Would this work?
The second sentence needs a change but I can't quite come up with it. Perhaps... something with regard to age and experience cannot be taught but it can certainly be reviewed and evaluated by their flight instructor is there to make that determination. In fact, that is the flight instructor's role and a very huge part of his or her responsibility placed on them by the FAA Administrator and the regulations.

My experiences in the cockpit have been more than sufficient to convince my very expert flight instructor that I am quite capable of operating an aircraft (in this case a Cessna 150, a two-seat training aircraft) without any supervision. However, I am constrained by one-size-fits-all regulation from the Federal Aviation Administration.

The number of hours could backfire, it might not sound like much to groundlings. Do not use jargon, abbreviations, or alphabet soup (CFI, FAA, C150 etc...). Explain anything related to aviation thoroughly. Assume you audience has never seen an airplane up close, since it's probably true. Avoiding these pitfalls will strengthen your argument.

.... but it can certainly be reviewed and evaluated by their flight instructor is there to make that determination regardless of the student pilot's age. In fact, that is the flight instructor's role and a very huge part of his or her responsibility placed on them by the FAA Administrator and the regulations.

There, improved that for ya!

-Skip

The number of hours could backfire, it might not sound like much to groundlings. Do not use jargon, abbreviations, or alphabet soup (CFI, FAA, C150 etc...). Explain anything related to aviation thoroughly. Assume you audience has never seen an airplane up close, since it's probably true. Avoiding these pitfalls will strengthen your argument.

Good idea.

Here is what I've decided on for that.

My 26.9 Hours in a Cessna 152 is more than enough to fly alone, but I’m restrained by the Federal Aviation Regulations part 61.83 and 61.87. These regulations only add unneeded apprehension because they make it seem as though it is unsafe to solo at an age under 16 despite the fact that I have proven to my flight instructor that I am able operate an aircraft without supervision. The “one size fits all” plan for these regulations no longer works.

Any other tips or things wrong, let me know!

Maybe break sentences down a bit so a single sentence is not as long. Make a point in each sentence. If sentences tend to run on they become so complicated it draws away from the attempted argument.

It is important, people, to remember, that since Austin is being graded on this - crossing the line between vague advice and proposing specific sentences to him could be construed as academic dishonesty if his teacher find out.

From Nick's AD Rules:
3. The fine line between having someone else do your work for you and receiving advice on the work is crossed when others rewrite sections of your work for your use. If this happens, a proper citation is necessary.

Despite what some may think, I am actually very big on copyright and AD rules (I just understand them and know when to push the line).

Just advice everyone. I'd hate to see Austin get in trouble here now.

Would it be appropriate to indicate one source consisted of numerous pilots he interviewed during his research?

Back