Lowering Cost of Ownership Tricks

DwayneSmithUSMC

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
DwayneSmithUSMC
Hey ladies and gents. For those of you who don't know I'm a relatively low time pilot who just bought my first plane. (Piper Cherokee 235) I was wondering what are some tips/tricks that you guys use to lower the cost of ownership. I'm already planning to do owner assisted annuals, and other routine maintenance. Just wondering what tips you guys have. Thanks.

Thanks for that great reply @Denver. Best advice ever. Now if anyone has a real answer I would appreciate it.

Slow down. Operate at 55-60% power. You can then run lean of peak without concern for damage. Do owner assisted annuals, take off panels, drain oil, remove filter, clean wheel bearings, etc. Change from full coverage to liability only. See if there is a private airport near you that will rent tie down or hangar.

Understand the difference between safety-critical, required, performance/envelope-enhancing, and "extra" items come repair time.

Know when fixing something early will prevent costlier problems later on, and what can be deferred.

Buy and use the Mogas STC if you have pure gas near you.

Don't prang the plane.

My plane is actually rated for 87 Octane aviation grade fuel. But no MOGAS stations near me. :-(

Hey ladies and gents. For those of you who don't know I'm a relatively low time pilot who just bought my first plane. (Piper Cherokee 235) I was wondering what are some tips/tricks that you guys use to lower the cost of ownership. I'm already planning to do owner assisted annuals, and other routine maintenance. Just wondering what tips you guys have. Thanks.

Run as lean as you can, don't try to get that last 5 knots out of the plane, run max MP with min RPM. Fuel is going to be your #1 cost most likely unless you bought a real POS. If you plan on keeping the plane for a good while, get a hangar unless you are in an area with ridiculous hangar fees or waiting lists.

You can run as low as 40% power just fine (and use less fuel). Lean it until it runs rough then push it in a little. If you have a breakdown away from your home field, call your mechanic and talk to him about what to do before you hire a local to do something expensive. Find a good mechanic. One that wont do things just to have something to do. Only have ONE magneto at a time worked on. That way they wont both fail at once. Better yet, don't have them worked on at all (unless one fails). Afterall, you have two of them. Get a carbon monoxide detector and if you don't have CO don't mess with your muffler. Change your own oil (you are supposed to log that). The filter is usually the hard part. You usually have to safety wire it. (Hand tighten as tight as you can is usually about right). If it's not broke, don't fix it. Don't do any upgrades, best to leave it stock. Probably some others I cant think of. Not everyone is going to agree with all these. YMMV...

To save money, leave well enough alone. Your plane flies the same today as it did in 1970. Spending money on 21st century panel goodies isn't going to make it carry any more or go any faster.

besides doing all the maintenance you legally can, getting a partner cuts all the fixed costs in half and that is huge. I'm too OCD to have a partner, but on paper it makes sense. The plane sits for 99% of its life.

Owner-assist annual ought to cost a little more to start with, because you are using the time and talent of the mechanic to learn. Eventually it pays off because you can be helpful. Then again, it can cost more because you are there to make the decision to replace or repair some marginal items. On the other hand, you are there to make the decision not to replace or repair, too.

As mentioned, it does eventually pay off.

Owner assisted annuals,slow down,combine training in your hundred dollar Hamburg runs. Shop for cheap gas. Shop for insurance.shop the local airports for good price tie downs.

Learn to land softly and smoothly. Stay off the brakes for taxi or landing. Wipe the bugs off after every flight. Don't carry extra weight while flying. Replace filament bulbs with LEDs.

My plane is actually rated for 87 Octane aviation grade fuel. But no MOGAS stations near me. :-(

Bring your own.

fuel_tank.JPG

Right now you can save $2.50 a gallon. :eek:

Looks like, in your first post, you already covered the basics - doing all the work on the plane that you can do and knowing/learning as much about it as you can.
Owning a plane is expensive - just like owning a boat, a horse, yadda, yadda.

Fixed expenses are fixed - insurance, hangar, state registration, etc. Even if you don't fly it during the year, they cost the same. So the flying is free! It will not cost a penny more in fixed expenses to fly one hour or fly 100 hours.

Variable expenses depend on how you look at them. Lets say you spend $1000 on the annual (don't flinch, it is just a number for discussion - but likely is close to reality)
The first hour after the annual costs you $1000 plus fuel.
The second hour costs you $500 plus fuel.
The 100th hour costs you $10 plus fuel.
So for variable expenses, the only way to 'beat the house' is to fly like a mad man.
Every hour I put on Fat Albert I look at it as costing me one hour worth of fuel and oil - that is almost free compared to the other expenses.

Your other options are to contact Weird Jim for the annual condition inspection.
And to take on a partner - boy will that help.
Just be sure you two can get along because it is closer to a marriage than to a business deal.

Welcome to the world of plane ownership.
I've been here for over 50 years.
I now think that fast cars and faster women would have been less expensive :)

denny-o and Fat Albert the Apache

besides doing all the maintenance you legally can, getting a partner cuts all the fixed costs in half and that is huge.

Bigtime. In the last year, we took in a third guy, so all fixed costs are now 1/3, and still not much contention for flight time. Plane is happier, it gets flown more, wallet is happier.

Just a cautionary note, which may not be where the OP is at, IDK.

I see the mindset of pilots always trying to shave cost as dangerous. Soon enough you will be faced with a maintenance decision that you "might" be able to prolong, or pushing just a little further to get that .50 cents per gallon cheaper fuel, or… IMO if you want to save money, turnoff the cable, mow your own lawn, ride the bus to work, whatever, aviation is not the place.

While I would love to do an owner assisted annual to for the experience and getting hands on with my plane, I don't think its going to make things cheaper. If you want a cheaper annuals, don't save all of your maintenance for annual time. I have mad much better luck with good independent mechanics vs. the FBO (overhead).

You can buy Tempest filters by the 6 pack and save on a per filter basis. That may save you enough for a cup of coffee.

While I agree with the above poster that said you dont need the latest and greatest panel, to repair some of these old radios is getting more difficult/expensive. Sometimes you have to send a good chunk of change to get good stuff that is going to be reliable over the long haul.

I see the mindset of pilots always trying to shave cost as dangerous. Soon enough you will be faced with a maintenance decision that you "might" be able to prolong, or pushing just a little further to get that .50 cents per gallon cheaper fuel, or… IMO if you want to save money, turnoff the cable, mow your own lawn, ride the bus to work, whatever, aviation is not the place.

You have a point, but it is a double edged sword, so the best answer is as with all things, apply moderation. Being thrifty is good because it leaves you money to take care of things as they pop up. If you let thrifty turn into frugal though, that is when the can of worms you bring up gets opened.

While I would love to do an owner assisted annual to for the experience and getting hands on with my plane, I don't think its going to make things cheaper. If you want a cheaper annuals, don't save all of your maintenance for annual time. I have mad much better luck with good independent mechanics vs. the FBO (overhead).

You can buy Tempest filters by the 6 pack and save on a per filter basis. That may save you enough for a cup of coffee.

While I agree with the above poster that said you dont need the latest and greatest panel, to repair some of these old radios is getting more difficult/expensive. Sometimes you have to send a good chunk of change to get good stuff that is going to be reliable over the long haul.

I have never had an owner assist annual not save a bunch of money, like more than 50%.

Owner assist annuals WILL make things cheaper, unless you have a crap APIA.

My old APIA would tell you two prices for the inspection, one if he does it, one for assist.

If you need parts for a annual or upgrade, always source them yourself, many shops have a little something added to their price.

Like the others said mogas helps if you can run it, beer kegs (15.5 gal) make great gas cans.

Buying oil and filters in bulk helps.

Buy retread tires, if its good enough for working planes it's good enough for burger runs

Keep your plane clean, spend time washing it, this will help you see small problems before they become big problems.

If you find a problem don't half arse the repair

Lube your controls, look in your POH and service manuals for the intervals, you'd be surprised at all the little things that should be lubed at 25/50/100hrs.

Change your oil at 25-30hrs even if you're running a filter, oil is cheap engines are not.

Don't run a big continental below 2300RPM, there is a bulletin out, bad stuff can happen.

Hold your stick back during runups to prevent damage to your elevator and keep rocks from being tossed back into your prop, do rolling runups or runups over a clean spot on the airport.

Carry a little moleskin journal, with all your upcoming mx, annual, oil change, upcoming ADs, etc in it, check it before each flight. I also have a page with a little chart where I write my altitude, IOAT, RPM/MP, fuel flow, oil temp and pres, EGTs and CHTs, IAS, dipstick oil level at start and any oil added before flight. It helps me see any trends early on

Oil analysis, this can be done at a CAT shop too, just be sure to tell them you are running leaded fuel.

The number one thing... FLY YOUR AIRPLANE OFTEN!
Your airplane will be healthier for it, and you will get more enjoyment out of your money, aaannndd you'll become a better and better pilot who will be less likley to cause damage to the plane.

Last edited:
Most of it has been said but two more things...wax your plane with Colonite 845 (thanks Henning). It makes it fly better, it is easy to wipe down after each flight and it makes it look good. Second get a battery minder and keep your battery healthy.

Where people spend allot of money is in repairs so DON'T get hangar rash, DON'T slide your tires on landing and DON'T kill your battery.

Always open your hangar door ALL THE WAY, even if you don't intend to push the plane in or out, just DO IT. Paint some stripes or have a reference on the ground on where to put the tires.

One thing about recap tires, unless you go through a lot of tires, I don't think they are worth the savings, but if you have a low enough insurance deductible it doesn't matter. I have been involved in 2 repairs that were caused by a recap coming apart, both times the damage far exceeded life time savings of using recaps. I have never needed to put a tire on any of my planes, and I had my Travelair over a decade and put over 1200 hrs and 700 landings on the tires I bought it with.

Buy good tires, stay off the brakes, and nail your crosswind technique. Do that and you likely will never buy more than one set of tires in your ownership cycle. With a trainer on a rental line yeah, recaps make sense. For the typical owner, not so much, it can quickly turn into a situation where you are spending dollars to save dimes.

One thing about recap tires, unless you go through a lot of tires, I don't think they are worth the savings, but if you have a low enough insurance deductible it doesn't matter. I have been involved in 2 repairs that were caused by a recap coming apart, both times the damage far exceeded life time savings of using recaps. I have never needed to put a tire on any of my planes, and I had my Travelair over a decade and put over 1200 hrs and 700 landings on the tires I bought it with.

Buy good tires, stay off the brakes, and nail your crosswind technique. Do that and you likely will never buy more than one set of tires in your ownership cycle. With a trainer on a rental line yeah, recaps make sense. For the typical owner, not so much, it can quickly turn into a situation where you are spending dollars to save dimes.

I've logged thousands of hours on recaps, C208Bs to U206 to... Never seen one do anything funny, maybe it was your supplier :dunno:

With my planes I have never bought or replaced a tire ether, but if you're going through tires (lots and lots of T/O ldgs) nothing wrong with recaps.

Disagree, to a point - There's a LOT of money going into aviation, thus a LOT of money can also be saved in aviation. You have to be ready to say yes to the things that are the right thing to do regardless of cost, but you can save a ton of money by keeping on top of things, doing your research, and making smart decisions. A good A&P is worth their weight in gold.

One thing I prefer to do is to upgrade when things break where it makes sense. On the Mooney, that's meant light upgrades when landing and taxi lights have gone out, a new Concorde battery in the #1 position (when battery 2 goes, it will become a Concorde as well)... Sometimes you can save money, otherwise you can at least come out ahead in the long run and have a nicer plane for it.

For example, the Concorde battery's list price was $75 higher, but since the shop didn't have to charge me an hour of labor to service it before installation, it actually ended up being cheaper and it cranks much better.

While the LED taxi lights ($225ea) and HID landing lights ($550ea) cost more than the $28ea halogen lights, they'll last WAY longer - I'll never need to replace them, and it's such a pain to change the lights on the Mooney that I didn't change them myself, leading to labor costs too. It'll only take ~3 years for those lights to pay for themselves, and in the meantime I have a plane that looks AWESOME at night and is safer because I can see a lot more. Oh, and it'll make those batteries last longer too because my alternator doesn't have to try to keep up with 1000 watts worth of lights at idle after I land. They might be worth something at resale too.

Cheap fuel, running lean of peak, and not trying to get the last 5-10 knots out of the plane will save you a ton of money. For example, in the Mooney I normally cruse at 170-175 KTAS on 12 gph. I can go 10 knots faster, but it costs me another 5 gph.

Regarding liability-only (or no) insurance, I view that as a false economy and a potential detriment to safety. Don't do it.

Finally... This:

The number one thing... FLY YOUR AIRPLANE OFTEN!
Your airplane will be healthier for it, and you will get more enjoyment out of your money, aaannndd you'll become a better and better pilot who will be less likley to cause damage to the plane.

Hours on the airplane do take some maintenance dollars, but sitting takes quite a bit more of a toll on the plane. The more you fly, the less each hour will cost you.

I've logged thousands of hours on recaps, C208Bs to U206 to... Never seen one do anything funny, maybe it was your supplier :dunno:

With my planes I have never bought or replaced a tire ether, but if you're going through tires (lots and lots of T/O ldgs) nothing wrong with recaps.

No, these were insurance jobs brought to us, not regular customers, so no clue who supplied them. It's not like there are a lot of producers though. Trucks lose recaps on a regular basis. Recaps are not as good as first run tires, sorry, I've been dealing with tires of all types my whole life. Is it a certainty your recap will fail? No, it's a gamble like everything else in life. However, if you do have one fail, the damage costs will exceed the life time savings over buying good first run tires. You should be able to make TBO on a set of tires, two at most, unless you are flying under some really high performance work conditions. Even then, the damage costs go up even higher due to loss of revenue and cancelled flights. Maintenance does not cost a commercial operator anything, his customers pay for it, it's calculated into the billing. Ins exulted repairs that can cause a delay/cancellation for customer, that can lose you a critical account, or penalties on your contract. Just In Time and Drop Ship Next Day logistics does not brook not making your scheduled delivery very well. You can cost yourself thousands of dollars as a commercial operator and not actually save a dime. For a commercial operator it makes less sense to roll those dice than for an individual.

You're fine to roll the dice as you like, a failed recap is not likely to get you killed or injured, but the minimum it will cost is the deductible on the insurance.

nonsense. Every time you ride on an airline, train, or bus it is operated by someone trying to save costs. When you have heart surgery or go to the dentist you are being worked on by people bound by costs.

the idea that spending more money equals increased safety is a flawed premise that leads to the rants you see about how unaffordable aviation is.

The people I see who have the most problems with dispatch reliability of their planes are nearly all of the mindset that no amount of money is enough to throw at aircraft maintenance.

Spending money is like anything else. Quantity does not equal quality.

nonsense. Every time you ride on an airline, train, or bus it is operated by someone trying to save costs. When you have heart surgery or go to the dentist you are being worked on by people bound by costs.

the idea that spending more money equals increased safety is a flawed premise that leads to the rants you see about how unaffordable aviation is.

The people I see who have the most problems with dispatch reliability of their planes are nearly all of the mindset that no amount of money is enough to throw at aircraft maintenance.

So fly any POS you like and rationalize it any way you want. There are hundreds of pilots on every airport that know more than the factory, their A&P/IA, the engine manufacturer, the prop manufacturer, etc. You'll find plenty of company.

For a raft of ideas about controlling ownership cost, see Michael Caban's website, www.CSOBeech.com - while Beech-focused, you can see a lot of very good strategies for saving money, WITHOUT compromising safe operations in ANY way.

The theme is, most savings come from simply being well-informed.

You're (not specifically the post I'm replying to, but the argument implied in it) creating a false dichotomy between safety and money. Valuing one more doesn't necessarily mean valuing the other less, and there's a third "value variable" you're leaving out, which is mission/fun/whyever-you're-flying.

To give the absurd examples:

If you care a ton about safety and mission and not at all about cost, you'll keep two identical safe-airplane-of-your-choice around, fly them alternately, and when one goes down for maintenance (or the annual you give it every 6 months, for safety's sake), you'll fly the other one. And you'll have a well-qualified CFI on retainer for any last-minute questions.

If you care a ton about safety and money, and not at all about mission, you just won't fly.

If you care a ton about mission and money, but not at all about safety, you'll fly the cheapest airplane you can find that meets your definition of "fun", only fix things that get in the way of your fun, stretch your fuel reserves to get to the cheaper gas, stretch your weather minimums to get home, and die in a suspiciously-not-very-firey crash that POA will blame you for before the wreckage is finished settling.

The point is, somebody who values money more than the next guy can also value safety more than the next guy. But he can also not.

So everybody's right and everybody's wrong and let's all go home.

Yeah, you want to save money, stay home and play X-box. Owner assist annuals are a good idea aside from the cost savings. Most things you're just turning money into time, you have to have the time.

The one good thing is airplanes are based on old technology. They're simple and easy to work on.

the cheapest kind of plane to have.....is a friend with a plane. :D

Or a mechanic who will maintain it for the use of it. :)

Owner buys parts, A&P installs it free for the use. each buys their own consumables.

Carry a tool kit on XC flights, get a thumb drive to so you can have your logs and maintenance manuals with you. A good mechanic on the phone and an owner with a maintenance manual can save you lots of money.

Selling the plane probably helps the most.

:yesnod::lol::rofl::yes:

Use a mini mag lite holster as a pitot tube cover.

Make your own cowl plugs out of foam from hobby lobby

Use rattle can spray paint to cover up really crappy rough paint. :D

I did all these things when I had my old '66 C172. I could use its paint as speed brakes.

Last edited:
Back