Low Vis haze

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
A very slow weak front is coming through our area today, and ahead is a damp soup of warm, moist air -- so moist, I climbed to 4k and saw no change to vis or temperature (very unusual around here).

Visibility was so poor I could not see the powerplant from over KWAY, which is 10 miles from the center of the airport. I flew east a bit and still could not see it at 5 miles. Local METARS in the area were reporting between 3 and 6 miles, but in all the valleys it was probably closer to 2 mile vis.

I climbed to 4k, then practiced power-idle spirals, steep turns, and then decided to head back. Two patterns and I was done. As I was leaving it got darker and rain started spitting.

A look at the radar from home showed thunderstorms falling apart after reaching the PA border.

Hard to take after such a gorgeous weekend, but such is life in Pennsylvania!

Last edited:
You need to move to CO. The weather station near my house is reporting vis of 70 miles and few at 25000 AGL.

I don't know how the station determines a 70 mile visibility, but it is actually probably greater than 70.

You need to move to CO. The weather station near my house is reporting vis of 70 miles and few at 25000 AGL.

I don't know how the station determines a 70 mile visibility, but it is actually probably greater than 70.

CO is a beautiful place and I love the weather -- mostly! I was stationed at Lowry AFB from April-Sep 1980. Did alot of road cycling all around the Denver area!

I lived outside of Denver for three years and vis was often 100 miles or more. Unreal. The trade off is that you're usually dealing with high DA's. No biggie, just have to plan for it and act accordingly.

We're getting intot the summer weather pattern here. Bermuda highs abound!

I lived outside of Denver for three years and vis was often 100 miles or more. Unreal. The trade off is that you're usually dealing with high DA's. No biggie, just have to plan for it and act accordingly.

We're getting intot the summer weather pattern here. Bermuda highs abound!

Anthony,

Good to catch up yesterday!

The brown yucky haze was out in force yesterday. Heading into KWWD, Cape May NJ you could not see across the Bay to Lewes or Cape Henlopen DE.

Anthony,

Good to catch up yesterday!

The brown yucky haze was out in force yesterday. Heading into KWWD, Cape May NJ you could not see across the Bay to Lewes or Cape Henlopen DE.

Yes it was! Nice to see you, and the others at KWWD! I went back in the early evening as my aunt's had Sunday dinner, you know spaghetti, meatballs, sausage, etc. :smile: and I stayed for that. Flew right into the sunset, so yes it was very hazy but still a great day of flying.

Sorry for the thread hijack Dan!

Yes it was! Nice to see you, and the others at KWWD! I went back in the early evening as my aunt's had Sunday dinner, you know spaghetti, meatballs, sausage, etc. :smile: and I stayed for that. Flew right into the sunset, so yes it was very hazy but still a great day of flying.

Sorry for the thread hijack Dan!

You mentioned haze! You're G2G! :yesnod:

I flew from Michigan to Maryland on Sunday and the haze layer did seem unusually high. I took this picture at 9000'.
d4jlM.jpg

I understand that there are some fires in northern Canada and the smoke
has come down the eastern coast.

Thanks! The photo was taken about 7:30 pm this past Sunday somewhere not far from the Bellaire and Morgantown VORs.

Thanks! The photo was taken about 7:30 pm this past Sunday somewhere not far from the Bellaire and Morgantown VORs.

OK... those CB get built along the ridges south and north of your position there -- it's quite impressive to watch them build on a Hazy Hot and Humid day.

Yes Royski, that is a aweseome shot. Submit it for POTW at avweb. And welcome to POA.

CO is a beautiful place and I love the weather -- mostly! I was stationed at Lowry AFB from April-Sep 1980. Did alot of road cycling all around the Denver area!

You got out of there in time. Christmas Eve 1982 was one heck of a blizzard. :D

Back