Want To Buy Low Time Learner

wisperspeed

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
wisperspeed
I'm looking to buy a plane. There is a small strip near by (DFW area) with a few Pipers (one PA-23-250 & one PA-28-180) that don't look like they've been touched in DECADES. This might be a cheap initial cost then some serious maintenance cost right after purchase. I'm looking to finish my PPL in this aircraft then get it equipped for IFR in a few years after saving for a bit. The mission after my PPL will be lunch runs and building hours. No more than 2 passengers ever. I don't know where to begin with a reasonable offer because I don't know A) what's equipped B) TTAF C) SMOH or really anything about these aircraft. How would you proceed?

If you want a reasonable priced plane buy a nice flying airplane. If you buy a project that has sat for decades you will probably end up with a fortune in it. I have owned lots of planes but never a money hog project. I don't need any headaches!

You’ll be fixing the plane instead of finishing your PPL.

Any list of repairs you think will be needed needs to have room on it for unknowns, which will be plenty in a new-to-you plane. That’s unknown money and time, which may take away from PPL money and time.

I'm looking to buy a plane. There is a small strip near by (DFW area) with a few Pipers (one PA-23-250 & one PA-28-180) that don't look like they've been touched in DECADES. This might be a cheap initial cost then some serious maintenance cost right after purchase. I'm looking to finish my PPL in this aircraft then get it equipped for IFR in a few years after saving for a bit. The mission after my PPL will be lunch runs and building hours. No more than 2 passengers ever. I don't know where to begin with a reasonable offer because I don't know A) what's equipped B) TTAF C) SMOH or really anything about these aircraft. How would you proceed?

I think, hope, your talking about a PA24, not 23. A Commance is overkill for your mission, building hours and getting lunch. Serious maintenance is what happens with a lot of airplanes. Ones that have been rotting for years is a whole new discussion.

If one wants wants an aircraft for IFR training &/or flights one should purchase an aircraft with the appropriate instrumentation already installed in the aircraft. The premium one pay for such an aircraft will be utterly dwarfed by the costs of obtaining and installing said equipment.

Steingar, the guy who has to call the avionics guy yet another time to fix the gorram stuff the avoids guy installed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies and for confirming what my worries are about the potential purchase.

Say you buy the plane cheap, $20,000. New avionics will will run from $15,000 absolute minimum to over $35,000 minimum for IFR. Way more that that if you want glass! The engine, sitting unrun, could cost you at least $25,000 to rebuild and the 180hp will go $35,000. Now you still need new hoses, tires, interior, ADS-B. etc. When you can buy the airplane in acceptable condition for $25k on the low end and $40,000 will get you something that will do everything your talking about. Buyer beware! If you have a mentor that can get you through all this with little A&P costs your still looking at working on and not flying! Case in point I bought, with two partners, a decent A&P owned PA-28-180 for $40,000. It has taken nothing but routine maintenance for several years, got my ticket, and we still own a $40K airplane.

Back