Low IMC (to minimums) with my new Avionics Panel

Martin Pauly

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Martin Pauly
A few days ago, before the arctic cold hit much of the US, we had a mild day in Iowa with low clouds - a great day for flying approaches in actual IMC with my new avionics panel, after practicing thoroughly in good weather. It's always a great feeling when I break out of the clouds with the approach lights and runway ahead of me - and if not, the GFC600 can fly a coupled go-around and missed approach, which makes things really easy. The video shows three different approaches at Cedar Rapids airport.

I watched that last night, Martin. Another great video and your new panel is beyond awesome!

Thanks, Russ. I am very pleased with how everything turned out in the new panel - knowing that it'll get even better once the digital interface is approved.

- Martin

Quite an “early” Christmas present you bought yourself, Martin! Merry Christmas and Happy New Years. Hope the weather is warmer in FL than Iowa! :rollercoaster:

I thoroughly enjoyed that Martin. As a very rusty pilot who did everything behind a six-pack panel, I appreciated the close-ups of the....would you call it instruments? screens?.... and your highlight circles of key data now and then. Helped me to stay in it just a bit.

I find all that glass amazing for situational awareness but horribly sloppy and even confusing for a good scan.

I flew a lot of days just like that with my CFII...perfect weather for practice and training...smooth and no ice. I've flown with several instructors during checkouts and re-currency practice that don't seem to like or want to go up on days like that.

Anyway, thanks for the practice!

I find all that glass amazing for situational awareness but horribly sloppy and even confusing for a good scan.
Hi Brad. I can see how it's confusing at first, because it is so different from how information is presented on a six-pack. Essentially the scan has to be relearned, which takes some time but at the end of that journey it's just as easy as (or easier than) scanning an old six-pack. After 30 hours or so behind the new setup, I am not quite as familiar with it yet as I was with the old, but I'm getting there.

Regards,
Martin

Back