Lots of us are engineers

SkykingC310

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Adam
As I've been scrolling through people's profiles, I've noticed that there are a lot of folks who list their occupation as an engineer for one thing or another. Interesting. I've seen mechanical, electrical and others. I, myself, am a sound engineer. I have nothing to say really, just thought it was interesting.

SkykingC310 said:
As I've been scrolling through people's profiles, I've noticed that there are a lot of folks who list their occupation as an engineer for one thing or another. Interesting. I've seen mechanical, electrical and others. I, myself, am a sound engineer. I have nothing to say really, just thought it was interesting.

What is a 'sound engineer' I am familiar with 'acoustics engineers'

I work in live venues, mostly concerts, sometimes just speaking events. I run a mixing console. I'm the guy who controls the volume. I mix. Does that make sense?

im in school for Aerospace Engineering, working at Rockwell Collins as a System Engineer right now

Technically, I consider myself a network engineer but the title seems to change based on who I'm talking to and what they're trying to sell.

I'm an IT project manager. Do I count?

My wife is a Mech. Eng. with her PE license.

My license and my diploma say Civil Engineer, but most days at work I don't feel that civil. I am thinking about getting my commercial ticket, that way when people ask me what I do I can say I'm the corprate pilot.

Mechanical Engineer by degree. Aerospace engineer by profession.

SBATHIHTFI Engineer.

Hmm, not an engineer, but I work them all the time. I’m an architect. I’m sure that plenty of engineers have cursed my name.

What do you mean that you can’t make the building stand up without extra walls and columns?!? I am not changing my design. Just make it work.

You want to put all of that mechanical equipment where? And it’s how big? No, I didn’t leave room for it, actually. I was kinda hoping it would just fit.

Taylor
Frustrating engineers in the Bay Area since 1999 :D

Not an engineer, but I teach engineers... They curse my name too.
"Physics is required... WHY?"

--Kath, physicist
Frustrating engineering students since 2006.

Mechanical Engineer by degree. Now an engineering manager getting to try to manage engineers who, by definition, cannot be managed.

Architects frustrate me too. No grasp of the practicality. "What do you mean I need to add AC, Heat and plumbing to my art work?" It wasn't designed to live or work in, it was designed to look good.

NC Pilot said:
Mechanical Engineer by degree. Now an engineering manager getting to try to manage engineers who, by definition, cannot be managed.

A number of years back, EDS had a commercial that started on the super bowl showing cowboys trying to heard cats. Engineering manager == Cat herder.

Electrical engineer by degree, somehow bacame a high rel ceramic packaging engineer, now a product engineer over several ceramic packaging lines.

kath said:

--Kath, physicist
Frustrating engineering students since 2006.

Good for you! I loved physics, and did quite well in my physics classes in college. Some of the nuclear physics I learned in the Navy hurt my head, though. That whole delayed neutron precursor stuff, and mother/daughter reactions...ow ow ow.

I always wanted to dribe a train,does that count?

Last edited:
I trained first as an aerospace engineer, then switched to music production and recording engineering, and eventually wound up now as an IT engineer, doing systems architecture and network and storage engineering.

kath said:

LOL - Physics was never my bugaboo, although Freshman Physics at Boston University (with a lecture class of 400+, and labs in a new science building where nothing was level or plumb) was mind-numbing. Later classes (where we actually got to design something) were more phun physics.

Thermogoddamics was my least favorite subject.

Sound engineer here too.
Mostly recording, but I cut my teeth on live sound.
What I do is really hardly engineering tho---it's art.

Well... before I became a lawyer ("Juris Doctor," what can I heal?), I had the title, "Senior Product Support Engineer" with TRW, which was awfully nice, even if I was not an engineer at all. Although I cannot count the number of times I had to bring engineers down from their lofty perches to understand how the fool things really worked, and why they had to make changes to accommodate real-world field conditions (computer-controlled equipment, COM=Computer Output on Microfilm).

"High Rel"- there's a term I have not heard in a while. I bonded wires in High Rel short-run prototypes at Motorola's CMOS plant in Austin lo those many years ago...

Oh, so many years ago I was a recording engineer for a recording studio in Boston. Things go Better with Coke; It's a Pepsi Generation; Hertz; Avis; Howard Johnson's; Tourain Paints; many network jingles. And when up & coming Rock groups would come to us to cut their demos to send the big labels. That was when Ampex 300 recorders were spitting-image professional and Lipps Heads of Santa Monica was best. Digital???? Huh? Time surely has flown by the years.

HR

Last edited:
Electrical engineer by training (BSEE in 1975), electronics engineer by profession. EMC is great. Where else can a ham radio operator work for a computer company and get paid to play with radios?

My uncle ws an oiler in the local paper mill.He would go around with an oil can and grease gun.He would tell all the girls he was a lubrication engineer.

I'm currently a Biomedical Engineer. I work at that curious intersection of computers, biology and medicine. Soon to be a lawyer.

Bill Jennings said:
A number of years back, EDS had a commercial that started on the super bowl showing cowboys trying to heard cats. Engineering manager == Cat herder.

Electrical engineer by degree, somehow bacame a high rel ceramic packaging engineer, now a product engineer over several ceramic packaging lines.
Hey - I spent a little time at Coors Ceramics quite a few years ago ... thought the ceramics stuff was pretty cool. But, I'm a software engineer and that ceramics stuff is hard (ware)! :D

gkainz said:
Hey - I spent a little time at Coors Ceramics quite a few years ago ... thought the ceramics stuff was pretty cool. But, I'm a software engineer and that ceramics stuff is hard (ware)! :D

We used to be part of Coors Ceramics (Coors Electronic Packaging Company in Chattanooga), small world.

After the service I went to IBM in East Fishkill, and fell into designing ceramic packaging for the 360 and AS-400 series big iron.

gkainz said:
Hey - I spent a little time at Coors quite a few years ago ...

I'll bet you did. Were you a Bachenalian Engineer? :)

Bill Jennings said:
We used to be part of Coors Ceramics (Coors Electronic Packaging Company in Chattanooga), small world.

After the service I went to IBM in East Fishkill, and fell into designing ceramic packaging for the 360 and AS-400 series big iron.
How about that!?!? I was at Corporate in Golden in 1990 when IBM decided it was high time that Coors Ceramics dump the VAX systems for IBM and since IBM was their biggest client, provided a little "negative incentive" to roll out DEC and roll in big blue.

I got to poke around the pottery plant on 9th street on occasion. Snooped around the Wilbanks whisker project a little as well. My good friend and hunting partner is still doing EHS projects with Coors Ceramics, er ACX, ah who the heck are they now? Oh yeah, CoorsTek.

Anthony said:
I'll bet you did. Were you a Bachenalian Engineer? :)
Wow! You got me there! I had to google it for a definition, and I usually do so well on the Reader's Digest "Expanding your Vocabulary", too! :)

Company policy was "2 beers" but I forgot if there was a time limit defined around that 2 beer limit! :D We had a lot of regularly scheduled meetings in the cafeteria at the brewery and it was on tap!

classical muscian by schooling (bass trombone), cal state univ., northridge 1979. mechanical designer/cad jockey by trade (pays for the house and the flying).

got there by working part-time as a draftsman in college. paid better than working at sears. :yes:

after a few years of scratching a living out of the los angeles music scene, decided i wanted more than a subsistance living and got involved in aerospace.

been working as a contract engineer (job shopper) since 1984. currently at northrop-grumman space technology (old trw space technology) in redondo beach, ca.

still keep my chops up and play around town, mostly orchestras and brass ensembles. an occasional jazz gig now and then. helps pay for the avgas. :)

trombair said:
classical muscian by schooling (bass trombone) ... (snip) ...
still keep my chops up and play around town, mostly orchestras and brass ensembles. an occasional jazz gig now and then. helps pay for the avgas. :)
Very cool! I still have a Conn 112H (f-valve) trombone in the closet. Haven't played in years, but sure had fun with it. Played in high school band in 6th grade, college jazz band, concert band and marching band at South Dakota State(marched in a Vikings half-time show in Minneapolis) and played with the ship's band on the Nimitz as collateral duty in the Navy (good for getting out of standing in formation for ceremonies).

gkainz said:
played with the ship's band on the Nimitz as collateral duty in the Navy

Greg, what years were you on the Nimitz? My brother served aboard her as a nuc MM.

Bill Jennings said:
Greg, what years were you on the Nimitz? My brother served aboard her as a nuc MM.
I was with VAW-112 deployed on the Nimitz for the '79-80 Med/Pac cruise. We sailed to the Med in the fall of '79 and redeployed to the Indian Ocean in January '80. Spent the next 5 months making nightly runs up into the Gulf of Oman, turning around and running back out again.

One night in april was slightly different, as we launched a squadron of H-53 Sea Stallions from HM-16, piloted by, uh, non-navy pilots in operation Evening Light http://www.militaryimages.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-3654.html

other sources refer to it as Operation Eagle Claw http://www.helis.com/featured/eagle_claw.php

Upshot of the second half of this particular cruise was we spent 144 continuous days at sea. Welcome to sea duty!

Last edited:
I'm sometimes referred to as a Software Engineer, although I don't see what software has to do with big heavy transporation devices.

I'm sometimes referred to as a Software Architect, but I haven't seen my computer design any buildings or anything.

Generally, however, I'm referred to as a pain in the...

Back