pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
These are the airplanes of my youth. :thumbsup:
http://www.eaa-673.com/history.html

I learned to fly in the 50's, and even drove a fuel bowser like the one in the photos to fuel the planes when I worked as a line boy and mechanic's helper to fund my flying.

Lots of Champs, C-120s,T-Crafts, even a Bamboo Bomber
Cheers:
Paul
N1431A

Thanks, great pictures. The sedans looked a lot like like the one my father had back in the mid 70s.

Kevin

That is a great collection of photos. Thanks!

I think it was cool how metal airplanes were allowed to revel in their metalness by just being naked back then. Think I'll strip the Rat Bird. It looks like crap anyway and I can't afford to paint it.

Great photos.

Does anyone know what is the large observation aircraft with 7371 on the tail?

Thanks,

Lloyd

L-13
The Stinson L-13 (sometimes known as the Grasshopper, like other aircraft of its type) was a US military utility aircraft first flown in 1945. Developed when Stinson was a subsidiary of Consolidated Vultee, rights to it were not included in the 1948 sale of Stinson to Piper. Mass production was therefore undertaken by Convair, which built some 300 of them.
It was a conventional high-wing tailwheel monoplane used for observation, liaison, and air ambulance duties. Following their military service, some were converted for civil bush flying use, fitting a radial engine by Acme Aircraft Company as the Centaur, while others underwent similar conversions by Caribbean Traders Inc, as the Husky.[1]
The Stinson L-13 (sometimes known as the Grasshopper, like other aircraft of its type) was a US military utility aircraft first flown in 1945. Developed when Stinson was a subsidiary of Consolidated Vultee, rights to it were not included in the 1948 sale of Stinson to Piper. Mass production was therefore undertaken by Convair, which built some 300 of them.
It was a conventional high-wing tailwheel monoplane used for observation, liaison, and air ambulance duties. Following their military service, some were converted for civil bush flying use, fitting a radial engine by Acme Aircraft Company as the Centaur, while others underwent similar conversions by Caribbean Traders Inc, as the Husky.[1]

Just stumbled on this page myself this week... beautiful stuff, except for that flipped-over champ; that's heartbreaking. :frown3:

Wonderful photographs!! I'd like to say its nostalgic but wasn't born till 63':wink2:

Great pics, thanks.

In the 70's I learned to fly at Minuteman field just a few miles from Marlboro. What is the air carrier airport, seems to me it could be BOS.

Neat pictures. One of those guys looks just like the DiMaggio brothers.

Was the flipped airplane tied down before or after the upset?

Is the blue Ford convertible a 50 or 51?

These are the airplanes of my youth. :thumbsup:
http://www.eaa-673.com/history.html

I learned to fly in the 50's, and even drove a fuel bowser like the one in the photos to fuel the planes when I worked as a line boy and mechanic's helper to fund my flying.

Lots of Champs, C-120s,T-Crafts, even a Bamboo Bomber
Cheers:
Paul
N1431A

Neat pictures. One of those guys looks just like the DiMaggio brothers.

Was the flipped airplane tied down before or after the upset?

Is the blue Ford convertible a 50 or 51?

Wayne:

Please accept my apologies in advance...

...and I know you're older than I am (though you don't appear so much older now as you might have a few years back)...

...but I believe you'll find that is a 1949 Ford.

I am in love with the fuel bowser concept. I want to ditch our big isuzu and get coveralls for our linemen now.

I am in love with the fuel bowser concept. I want to ditch our big isuzu and get coveralls for our linemen now.

Well heck, why not?

They don't have to be roadable. Why do you need a thirty-grand medium duty truck? You could build a sound fueling unit using a diesel garden tractor and a tank.

Does anyone else think Navions are a sweet looking aircraft, or is that just me?

I've seen a few for sale. If I had the cash laying around, I'd buy one just to sit in a hangar with a beer in my hand and admire it. :cheerswine:

I've seen a few for sale. If I had the cash laying around, I'd buy one just to sit in a hangar with a beer in my hand and admire it. :cheerswine:

We had a pretty sweet North American flyover at the Penn Valley fly-in breakfast that I had the privilege of being a part of back in May. T-6 in the middle with a Navion off each wing. It was a pretty incredible thing to be a part of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg1Vd34QvDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_5F-ZHDpc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3w9Tx7h8Bg

Great photos. A few observations. First, nobody is fat. Second, just about everything in those photos is American made. Actually, I think everything is American made.

Different, and dare I say it a better time for us. Great peek back in time. :cheerswine:

Does anyone else think Navions are a sweet looking aircraft, or is that just me?

First airplane I ever flew in was a Navion. My dad had a couple (one at a time) when I was a kid. They are cool. Not that fast or fuel efficient, but nice airplanes.

I can still smell the old carpet soaked with hydraulic fluid...

Great photos. A few observations. First, nobody is fat. Second, just about everything in those photos is American made. Actually, I think everything is American made.

Different, and dare I say it a better time for us. Great peek back in time. :cheerswine:

Fat? You disrespecting me again? :wink2:

Interesting observations.

. A few observations. First, nobody is fat

I learned to fly in the 50's as a teen ager. When I was going through E.T. School at Treasure Island, CA in 55 I would rent a Tri-Pacer for $15.00 an hour wet. I'd take three other Marines with me and get $5.00 from each guy for an airplane ride. I never gave a thought to W&B--after all there were 4 seats.:wink2:

Today I have a Tri-Pacer which is now a 2 place airplane:cryin: I don't know anyone light enough to be able to fill up the 4 seats.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1

. A few observations. First, nobody is fat

I learned to fly in the 50's as a teen ager. When I was going through E.T. School at Treasure Island, CA in 55 I would rent a Tri-Pacer for $15.00 an hour wet. I'd take three other Marines with me and get $5.00 from each guy for an airplane ride. I never gave a thought to W&B--after all there were 4 seats.:wink2:

Today I have a Tri-Pacer which is now a 2 place airplane:cryin: I don't know anyone light enough to be able to fill up the 4 seats.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1

I finished up my PPL training at Ft Lewis, WA in 1968. You could rent a C150 from the Army flying club for $7.50 per hour wet (the "old" one - a 1963 IIRC) or $8.25 per hour wet for a couple of new ones. The Army sold the club avgas at cost - 16 cents per gallon with no tax. Those were the days.....

Dave

I finished up my PPL training at Ft Lewis, WA in 1968. You could rent a C150 from the Army flying club for $7.50 per hour wet (the "old" one - a 1963 IIRC) or $8.25 per hour wet for a couple of new ones. The Army sold the club avgas at cost - 16 cents per gallon with no tax. Those were the days.....

Dave

Of course, what were you making per hour in 1968 compared with today? Me? Nothing, I was still in high school. :D

But, those pictures were great. Notice how most of the planes in the pictures were simple "bore a hole in the sky" types? Relatively inexpensive to own and operate. Today? Don't ask.

Back