lost on flight planning

He didn't say there was a requirement, he said they were in for a rough ride, and you pointed out why. The examiner is free to fail any piece of equipment to see if you know how to deal without having it. If you show up with an E-6B and paper log with math on it, a lot of that gets precluded having demonstrated prior knowledge. The potential result being an easier ride by being prepared the old fashioned way along with the new.
I don't see why having to revert to a backup to your EFB in flight makes it a "rough ride", but that isn't the question here. The question was flight planning, not flight execution, and the examiner isn't permitted during the oral to take away your computer-planned flight log and electronic chart, and then demand you redo all your planning it with an E-6B, plotter, and paper chart.

With all the software tools available now, and even taking your entire flight plan with you on an iPad or Android tablet it still amazes me how some resist or even ignore these tools.

Btw, you can also take your iPad or other tablet with you on the checkride. Its a possible lookup source and reference source. After all, you will use it to fly anyway, right?

Aviation is growing up. Gone are the days of hand calcs and dead reckoning. Oh sure you hear guys tell horror stories about pilots that depend on their gear and are presumed to be crippled for that 1 time in 10 years they get a FULL power fail and TOTAL backup battery fail at the same time (its like getting eaten by a black bear and a grizzly bear on the same day) and have to use pilotage and dead reckoning.

Use the online and tablet tools. On my checkride, and it was given by an old timer with 50 years in the air who started practically in a Wright flyer, he was far more interested in aviation weather, airport and sectional knowledge, and actual flying than redoing part of a navlog by hand to compute fuel burn. Its a non issue.

I don't see why having to revert to a backup to your EFB in flight makes it a "rough ride", but that isn't the question here. The question was flight planning, not flight execution, and the examiner isn't permitted during the oral to take away your computer-planned flight log and electronic chart, and then demand you redo all your planning it with an E-6B, plotter, and paper chart.

When your EFB 'fails' on takeoff and you can't access your info that exists nowhere else, I would qualify that as a 'rough ride'. Typically you start off on the same X-C that you were supposed to plan. Why not do it on paper?:dunno:

With all the software tools available now, and even taking your entire flight plan with you on an iPad or Android tablet it still amazes me how some resist or even ignore these tools.

Btw, you can also take your iPad or other tablet with you on the checkride. Its a possible lookup source and reference source. After all, you will use it to fly anyway, right?

Aviation is growing up. Gone are the days of hand calcs and dead reckoning. Oh sure you hear guys tell horror stories about pilots that depend on their gear and are presumed to be crippled for that 1 time in 10 years they get a FULL power fail and TOTAL backup battery fail at the same time (its like getting eaten by a black bear and a grizzly bear on the same day) and have to use pilotage and dead reckoning.

Use the online and tablet tools. On my checkride, and it was given by an old timer with 50 years in the air who started practically in a Wright flyer, he was far more interested in aviation weather, airport and sectional knowledge, and actual flying than redoing part of a navlog by hand to compute fuel burn. Its a non issue.

I guess you've never had a dead battery or even tried to use a chart in bright daylight.

There is nothing wrong with using a tablet. There is EVERYTHING wrong with depending upon it. You must be able to function without it. Period. Full stop. No excuses.

These are largely toys that have been repurposed for safety critical functions. They fail frequently, often in ways people presume they can't, like wrong positions. They MUST be backed up. And not by another electronic device unless you can guarantee all its failure modes are distinct (and, you can't).

Ask your instructor to sit down with you and do the first one together. Do all the calculations with them. Once I did it once with mine I was good to go. Make sure they show you how to calculate top of climb and start of decent. After one you will be good to go.

Good advice. :yes:

There is nothing wrong with using a tablet. There is EVERYTHING wrong with depending upon it. You must be able to function without it. Period. Full stop. No excuses.

These are largely toys that have been repurposed for safety critical functions. They fail frequently, often in ways people presume they can't, like wrong positions. They MUST be backed up. And not by another electronic device unless you can guarantee all its failure modes are distinct (and, you can't).
Yep. Technology is great. But technology will sometimes fail. Even if it has a 99.99% pass rate, if it fails that .01% I want to make sure I can make do without

The best advice I can give just having finished my first solo xc is the does it make sense test. Draw you line on the and look at your general heading, for instance I will be going more or less southwest. Then when you do you measurements when the direction you find on your map is indeed say 210, then yes it makes sense. With wind correction, if you are going south and he wind is blowing from the east, mentally think "I am being blown to my right." So when you get a negative correction (meaning turning to the left to correct), it makes sense. With fuel burn, most trainers are in the ballpark of 8 to 9 gph (at least 172's, and small Pipers). So keep it simple, if you know your trip is 1 hr, that should be about 9 gallons of fuel plus 3 or 4 for climb out. Just keep calm and do these little mental tests, and double checks. Then when you work the real numbers, regardless of cow complex the math may look, you know you can trust your calculations.

When your EFB 'fails' on takeoff and you can't access your info that exists nowhere else, I would qualify that as a 'rough ride'. Typically you start off on the same X-C that you were supposed to plan. Why not do it on paper?:dunno:
Did you read the part I wrote about having a backup to your EFB for the flight portion? But that's not what we're discussing, anyway -- we're talking about flight planning, not flight execution, and nothing from the FAA says you must use a paper log and mechanical computation device for your planning.

BTW, Foreflight allows you to print your nav log to paper to have as a backup. ;)

Last edited:
Did you read the part I wrote about having a backup to your EFB for the flight portion? But that's not what we're discussing, anyway -- we're talking about flight planning, not flight execution.

I thought we were talking about learning the material required to pass the test and be a capable Private Pilot.:dunno:

I thought we were talking about learning the material required to pass the test and be a capable Private Pilot.:dunno:
I was not aware that a pencil, paper, and whiz wheel were required to learn the material needed to pass the test and be a capable Private Pilot. Can you provide some discussion on where you came up with that alleged requirement?

I guess you've never had a dead battery or even tried to use a chart in bright daylight.

There is no requirement for paper sectionals. Electronic EFB are legal now. They do NOT have to be backed up with paper either.

Did you read the part I wrote about having a backup to your EFB for the flight portion? But that's not what we're discussing, anyway -- we're talking about flight planning, not flight execution, and nothing from the FAA says you must use a paper log and mechanical computation device for your planning.

BTW, Foreflight allows you to print your nav log to paper to have as a backup. ;)

Did you know that Garmin Pilot (at least the latest Android version) adds your taxi fuel to your total capacity? I discovered that one last weekend.

It's wildly stupid bugs like that that make it crazy to depend on these things for anything critical.

There is no requirement for paper sectionals. Electronic EFB are legal now. They do NOT have to be backed up with paper either.

I never said anything about legality of EFB's.

I said it was unacceptable to depend exclusively on a tablet. It is. You must be capable of functioning without your toy.

While they don't "have" to be backed up with paper, it's foolish to assume that two copies of the same device won't have the same fault at the same time. All it takes is one bad update from Foreflight. And if you charge your batteries at the same time -- like almost everyone does -- it's a fair bet that they will discharge at the same time, too.

While they do not HAVE to be backed up by paper charts it is a good idea. I found this on the FAA website explaining Class 1 or 2 EFB stuff. It's an interesting read. Delta is giving their pilots EFB (Microsoft Surface Pro 2) but they are still taking backup paper charts just in case. Even with the redundancy of navigational/operational equipment on those jets, they still have to think about the .00001% chance that it all fails.
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_91_78.pdf

I was not aware that a pencil, paper, and whiz wheel were required to learn the material needed to pass the test and be a capable Private Pilot. Can you provide some discussion on where you came up with that alleged requirement?

You don't, you can do all the whiz wheel stuff in your head, although wind correction angles and such are tough mental math. Pencil and paper aren't necessary either, but you best be able to fill in the blanks as the DE asks for them. I agree, none of the accoutrements are needed, but they sure come in handy for some nervous student on a Checkride when the electrons fail.

You can walk into the oral with your EFB only and be successful. If you brought a hand worked sheet as well, it's much less likely that the DE will be as thorough testing your competency at operating without an EFB because they saw it at the oral. They are well within their mandate to determine your reliance on these items and your ability to formulate and execute a plan B, preparation is preemption. Know how to do everything at least 2 ways. While one has no need to learn how to use an E-6B, there is also no reason to not use one. They are dirt simple and if you follow the directions printed on them, you will always get the correct answer. I really don't know an easier way to figure wind correction data without electronics.:dunno:

I never said anything about legality of EFB's.

I said it was unacceptable to depend exclusively on a tablet. It is. You must be capable of functioning without your toy.

While they don't "have" to be backed up with paper, it's foolish to assume that two copies of the same device won't have the same fault at the same time. All it takes is one bad update from Foreflight. And if you charge your batteries at the same time -- like almost everyone does -- it's a fair bet that they will discharge at the same time, too.

Simply not true. My wife brings her Samsung Galaxy smartphone along and we refer to our electronic flight plan done on iFlightPlanner enroute on the phone while the phone also provides us with music. We also have the Garmin 796 loaded up with the waypoints and the autopilot is able to fly them readily. If we wanted, we could also bring a larger screen Samsung Tablet and have even more goodies to play with, but we have NEVER brought a paper sectional with us, we don't even own one.

The Garmin and SkyVector and iFlightPlanner have all the current sectionals, and Jeppson plates. The navlog iFlightPlanner generates is sometimes printed off by us and put on a kneeboard for reference to frequencies and fuel. But our automation far exceeds anything anyone can do by hand or with paper.

The Garmin has all the AOPA and AF/D with frequencies which I can pop into the radio right off the GPS touchscreen.

From a Part 91 operational standpoint, that is true. From a PP practical test standpoint, it isn't -- unless you have a photographic memory, you are going to need a backup to your EFB on that ride, although that backup need not be paper.

You don't, you can do all the whiz wheel stuff in your head, although wind correction angles and such are tough mental math. Pencil and paper aren't necessary either, but you best be able to fill in the blanks as the DE asks for them. I agree, none of the accoutrements are needed, but they sure come in handy for some nervous student on a Checkride when the electrons fail.
I think we are still talking at cross-purposes. If you walk into the oral with your completed log, it doesn't matter what tools you used to prepare it as long as you got it right and can explain what it means. OTOH, if you can't to the computations necessary for your diversion Task in your head, you will need something to perform those computations during the flight. But on the third hand, I've never heard of an examiner failing someone's electronic E-6B or other small calculator during that task, so there is no reason to believe they would add a second problem to the diversion problem already presented.

You can walk into the oral with your EFB only and be successful. If you brought a hand worked sheet as well, it's much less likely that the DE will be as thorough testing your competency at operating without an EFB because they saw it at the oral.
DPE's don't work that way. They do the test by the PTS, and the PTS has no provision for a more in-depth testing based on the tools used to prepare the flight log.

Simply not true. My wife brings her Samsung Galaxy smartphone along and we refer to our electronic flight plan done on iFlightPlanner enroute on the phone while the phone also provides us with music. We also have the Garmin 796 loaded up with the waypoints and the autopilot is able to fly them readily. If we wanted, we could also bring a larger screen Samsung Tablet and have even more goodies to play with, but we have NEVER brought a paper sectional with us, we don't even own one.

The Garmin and SkyVector and iFlightPlanner have all the current sectionals, and Jeppson plates. The navlog iFlightPlanner generates is sometimes printed off by us and put on a kneeboard for reference to frequencies and fuel. But our automation far exceeds anything anyone can do by hand or with paper.

The Garmin has all the AOPA and AF/D with frequencies which I can pop into the radio right off the GPS touchscreen.
All that stuff is great. Even I use my Ipad and and GPS for navigation. I don't know anyone who still uses a paper, pencil, and an E6B for flying. That being said, I still know how to navigate if all that stuff crapped out. What's the harm in bringing a paper sectional? An added 3 ounces to your flight bag that is already filled with 100 pounds of tablets/GPS? Even though it will probably NEVER happen, what will you do everything shuts off. Can you still get home or to your destination? That's the main thing. If the answer is yes, then don't worry about it. If the answer is no, I strongly suggest you relearn pilotage and dead reckoning. It might save your bacon one day.

Simply not true.

If you say so. Just how much reliability analysis do you have under your belt?

I've witnessed enough faults with these -- one of which I mentioned in this thread -- to assert that they should not be trusted exclusively.

Is it possible to make a reliable EFB strategy? Sure. Is it possible to do it with arbitrary hardware and software? No. Some of it is not suitable. Is it possible to make one while shotgunning untested toys with no analysis? No. Wishful thinking at best.

Last edited:
From a Part 91 operational standpoint, that is true. From a PP practical test standpoint, it isn't -- unless you have a photographic memory, you are going to need a backup to your EFB on that ride, although that backup need not be paper.

Again, not true. I did my checkride with the navlog generated by iFlightPlanner printed out. And brought a laptop with everything else, including a pdf of the FAR/AIM and other docs I created to do quick lookup in case I came up short on an answer.

The generated navlog not only computes fuel burn between waypoints, it also does it based on wind, ramp, taxi, takeoff and weight. The tool includes a W&B page that is so easy to use, plugging in baggage and person weight for each flight is actually done, instead of guessing as most guys do who don't bother because they are doing them by hand.

The navlog iFlightPlanner makes is clear, complete and sophisticated and takes seconds to make based on building the route using a virtual sectional. There is no way to make such a navlog by hand that has any use, not if you want the most efficient route based on weather, mountains, winds and fuel stops.

And the other powerful feature is automatic filing via DUATS, an online weather briefing including FA, FD, winds aloft, sigmets, airmets and NOTAMS in realtime. And storing any plan made as a favorite for future reuse, reverse planning, and modification to create a new plan. No redoing plans by hand either.

The DPE would not tell me the xcountry destination until the night before the checkride. He did that because he said he didn't want students consulting with their CFI to get the plan done. The dirty secret? My tool let me create that plan in five minutes. And it let me run it the morning of the checkride which let me get all the weather products too. No fuss, no muss.

The DPE was fascinated by my tools, btw. I was even able to quickly calc a DA question he had based on the data in the aircraft POH, all of which was on the laptop. The E6B was also a virtual one. Though during my training I did buy an electronic handheld E6B (to take to the written since laptops are banned) but I didn't bring it to the checkride or need it.

Last edited:
I'm an ATP, and I'll bet you any amount you like that I can do all of those things.

Some can, but I was listening to a prominent podcast by a Delta captain earlier today and he really did not know the details of the various airspace types... He mentioned "A, B, C, D, E, F, and G airspace." What the heck is Class F? He knew class A started at FL180 (but thought it only went to FL450). He also thought you had to be in radio contact in Class E since it was "controlled".

I'm sure this guy is a fine airline captain, but frankly, I think he'd struggle flying a GA aircraft under VFR.

I think we are still talking at cross-purposes. If you walk into the oral with your completed log, it doesn't matter what tools you used to prepare it as long as you got it right and can explain what it means. OTOH, if you can't to the computations necessary for your diversion Task in your head, you will need something to perform those computations during the flight. But on the third hand, I've never heard of an examiner failing someone's electronic E-6B or other small calculator during that task, so there is no reason to believe they would add a second problem to the diversion problem already presented.

DPE's don't work that way. They do the test by the PTS, and the PTS has no provision for a more in-depth testing based on the tools used to prepare the flight log.

True, but he DPE has leeway as to how far he/she probes the various knowledge areas, right?

Some can, but I was listening to a prominent podcast by a Delta captain earlier today and he really did not know the details of the various airspace types... He mentioned "A, B, C, D, E, F, and G airspace." What the heck is Class F? He knew class A started at FL180 (but thought it only went to FL450). He also thought you had to be in radio contact in Class E since it was "controlled".

I'm sure this guy is a fine airline captain, but frankly, I think he'd struggle flying a GA aircraft under VFR.

Yikes!

Again, not true. I did my checkride with the navlog generated by iFlightPlanner printed out. And brought a laptop with everything else, including a pdf of the FAR/AIM and other docs I created to do quick lookup in case I came up short on an answer.
OK, I misunderstood. I though you were saying your EFB for a practical test did not have to be backed up, not that it could be backed up by something other than paper. And yes, a non-electronic backup is not required by any FAA directive.

Some can, but I was listening to a prominent podcast by a Delta captain earlier today and he really did not know the details of the various airspace types... He mentioned "A, B, C, D, E, F, and G airspace." What the heck is Class F?
Something he encounters in Europe and other places outside the US, since as a Delta captain, he probably flies internationally. We just don't have any here in the US NAS. See ICAO Annex 11: Air Traffic Services, Chapter 2, Section 2.6 for details, but essentially it's uncontrolled airspace with traffic information services to IFR aircraft (but not VFR aircraft) in addition to the flight advisory service available to all in Class G, but not traffic separation between IFR aircraft as in Classes E and above.

True, but he DPE has leeway as to how far he/she probes the various knowledge areas, right?
Some, but not a lot. The PTS is pretty specific about what knowledge one must demonstrate, and there's nothing in the PP PTS saying you have to know how to use a whiz wheel. It only requires "presenting and explaining a pre-planned VFR cross-country flight, as previously assigned by the examiner" and that the applicant "Computes headings, flight time, and fuel requirements". There is nothing saying you must use any particular tool or explain how the tool you used works. So, you can do it on an abacus or with trig tables or on an electronic E-6B or in your head for all that matter as long as you get sufficiently accurate answers. Nothing anywhere says the flight log has to be an originally blank paper form you filled out by hand based on the computations performed by whatever computational device you used.

I'm a big believer in both the Ritchie axiom ("You fight the way you train...") and the Cunningham corollary ("...so train the way you want to fight!"). As an instructor, I really don't want you out there the day after you get your license doing this all on ForeFlight if everything we did and what you did on the practical test was done with paper, pencil, plotter, and whiz wheel. That would make me very uncomfortable, just as if you did all your IR training in a 2xVOR airplane and then went out the day after the practical test to fly an approach for real in the weather using an approach GPS or an ADF on which you'd never been trained or tested (and that is legal, folks, even if it wouldn't be very smart). If you're going to be using iPad/ForeFlight for all your flying after the practical test, that's how I want you to be trained, and how my buddy at AFS-800 wants you to be tested -- so we know whether you'll be safe the next day.

You have Class F in a lot of the world. For VFR traffic it's like G, for IFR it's like E. It's an ICAO class that the US did not adopt, that does not mean that it doesn't exist or that US rated pilots won't see it flying internationally.

You have Class F in a lot of the world. For VFR traffic it's like G, for IFR it's like E.
Not like Class E even for IFR -- traffic information is provided, but not separation from other IFR traffic ("Y'all be careful out there, hear?"), while separation from other IFR traffic is provided in Class E.

It's an ICAO class that the US did not adopt, that does not mean that it doesn't exist or that US rated pilots won't see it flying internationally.
Agreed.

Just a heads up to all of you and to say thank you for your advice! I've scheduled a short dual cross country with my CFI for Saturday just to fly from Nashville to Huntsville and told him I'd like to plan the whole thing together and then fly it. I think this will help me get my head around it a little more, and perhaps what little progress I have made on my own will make it that much easier to learn as we're doing it together.

Thanks again guys.

All that stuff is great. Even I use my Ipad and and GPS for navigation. I don't know anyone who still uses a paper, pencil, and an E6B for flying. That being said, I still know how to navigate if all that stuff crapped out. What's the harm in bringing a paper sectional? An added 3 ounces to your flight bag that is already filled with 100 pounds of tablets/GPS? Even though it will probably NEVER happen, what will you do everything shuts off. Can you still get home or to your destination? That's the main thing. If the answer is yes, then don't worry about it. If the answer is no, I strongly suggest you relearn pilotage and dead reckoning. It might save your bacon one day.

The paper sectionals cost money, money wasted. Also, they are clumsy and tedious. Much easier and more efficient to have them in the Garmin, and on the tablet and smartphone. No need for a paper back, not when you have so many gadgets with the information on them presented in a much faster way to reference.

Oh, I can plot a mag/true/wc course with the best of them, but will likely never do it again by hand. Not when the navlog is generated for me just based on a visual plotting of the flight on a virtual sectional.

Have fun this Saturday with the XC. That's when the real flying starts.

When I took my PP ride (in 2001) I planned the flight given in advance by the DPE. I think she was used to people taking the ride in 150s as the destination would have had one considering fuel minimums in one. I took the ride in a 180 hp C-172N with long range tanks. It wasn't going to be a stretch in that plane. So much for her plan on that. :D

When I took my IR ride 10 years later I did the flight plan on-line. I commented on that to the DPE and his reply was that I had demonstrated my ability to plan a flight by hand back when I got my PP. Computers were fine for the IR. Much easier to feed in the information to the computer and take the printout with you.

Another thing, as Henning and others commented, once you get used to this you'll find that calculations in your head are usually "good enough". Experience will help you get to this point. Do the calculations now (and for the foreseeable future) and after a while you'll understand this better. I don't worry about how much fuel to put in the plane as our club rules require putting the plane back in the hangar for the next pilot with full tanks. Makes planning easy.

Again, have fun. This is a learning experience (and always will be).

You shouldn't have to ask. The first dual XC should be planned together from start to finish, and then flown together. The instructor should have you walk in with nothing planned, and then spend a couple of hours going through the planning process, including weather, NOTAMs, route selection, and chart/flight log preparation before walking out to actually fly what you've planned. Each XC after that should be more preplanned by the trainee, with the instructor doing less, until the last dual (or first solo) just involves the trainee doing all the planning and the instructor just checking the trainee's work.

This should have been explained by your instructor so there is less apprehension on your part. I suggest you call your instructor and discuss this right now so you can stop struggling with the issue.

This. Have him sit down with you and do it with you. The reality is, ForeFlight will do it for you after your check ride.

Back