Lost contact on flight following...

Amusingly, something similar to the hypothetical callsign situation I described above happened to me on my last flight.

I was cruising along on FF and as frequently will happen I got renamed to "Cherokee 85H" by some of the controllers I was passed to.

I forgot what I was doing at the time but I was interrupted because I thought I heard my number... and pretty quickly heard "cherokee 85H" calling in to do some practice instrument approaches. Throughout the conversation I kept hearing the controller repeating "confirm that this is Cherokee 85H"...

So, when there was finally a break in the conversation I called up as "Archer" with my full tail number and informed the controller he was talking to someone else with the same last 3 tail numbers. Shortly thereafter "Warrior .....85H" called in with his full tail number and we were all straightened out.

When that happens, everyone involved should switch to using FULL tail numbers. There is no rule preventing there being two Archers with numbers ending in 85H.

Sometimes when the numbers are one off, it's a good idea anyway. E.g., 52G and 53G (that used to be a common problem where I trained -- 52G is a 152 and 53G used to be a 172, and there is no "more specific" type name for a 152). 2 and 3 can sometimes be hard to distinguish with a crappy radio.

Last weekend I was FF and called Memphis three times over the course of about 3 minutes with no response. I transmitted in the blind that I was canceling FF and going to squawk VFR.

I switched comms over to CTAF as we were 10 miles out, but continued to monitor Approach. A couple minutes later, I heard another airraft say, " he said he was flying blind and going to squawk VFR" I switched back over and told that aircraft we lost Memphis and are descending to the airport, but he never responded.

So should I be expecting something in the mail?

Back