Lost another best friend yesterday...

david0tey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Fox-Three
Our 12 year old golden retriever died unexpectedly yesterday. We lost our other golden about 14 months ago. This one is honestly harder to deal with because it was so sudden. Our last golden had been sick for a long time and we knew that we were buying time. This one, Cali, was fine 12 hours before she was gone. I was on my way home from school to see her at the vet when we got the call that she had passed. She is the only thing that got me through the death of our other dog and I don't know how I am going to get through this. When my other dog died, I promised myself that this one would not pass away without me by her side but I broke that promise and will have to live with that for the rest of my life. I hate begging for sympathy but I would appreciate your prayers in helping me and my family get through this.

1507896_10153696704945603_1166110571_n.jpg

Sorry for the loss.

Really, the best way I've known, is a new puppy. The bright eyes and wagging tail will call you out to the yard again.

Old friends not forgotten, new friends made while we can...

Damn, that is a handsome, wizened old dog. It is easy to see why you miss him.

Did the vet tell you what happened? It's not cheap but you might consider sending him to a reputable faculty for necropsy. Without knowing the cause it will be easy to blame yourself.

And you, your family and your dog are in the prayers of Leslie and me.

Sorry for the loss.

Really, the best way I've known, is a new puppy. The bright eyes and wagging tail will call you out to the yard again.

:yeahthat:

She waits for you in heaven, where she can run and sniff things all day long under clear blue skies and in endless fields.

All dogs go to heaven. I lost a DoberBeagle last summer. Miss her all the time.

Prayer Sent

So very sorry for your loss.

I am sure she knew you loved her.

God Bless You and your Family.

I used to grieve at ridicules levels when I lost another of my pet companions, it was awful for me, my living alone and all. Then I lost my youngest daughter, that pretty much put losing my pets in perspective. I still grieve of course, but I am no longer the blubbering old man digging a hole in his yard.

I know what you are going through, I also know that the above advice to get another puppy as soon as you can is solid advice, and I also know that you wont for a while... unless someone else forces one on you. You do need time to sort out your feelings, and you need time to grieve.

I'm sorry for your loss, I hate it when they leave us.

-John

Sorry for the loss.

+1. Five years ago we had a Rottie that had his intestine colapse over itself causing a blockage. The Vet performed surgery to remove the section of intestine, but our Rottie only lived for two days after the surgery and died on Christmas Eve that year. Once the hustle and bustle of Christmas was over, our house was so sadly quiet. I got on the internet and found some Rottie puppies about an hours drive from home. It was the healing medicine for us. Even though 'Rambo' could not replace 'Bull', it was great to have another new pal to begin another journey with. So sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss. It sucks.

When we lost our 16 year old Husky mix we said "no more dogs for a while". That lasted a whole six months.

Wasn't worth he wait or the time off.

We lost our oldest a month ago, so we feel your pain. Still 12 is a good run for a good of that breed. I agree, back on the horse with a new puppy. The big eyes and wagging tail will not bring back the old dog, but they will fill you with the joy you need to combat the grief. Much luck.

Plus, the longer you wait, the longer it'll take to get him or her to hold the treat on their nose... ;)

Dino says hi. In his case it's more like his forehead than his nose. Heh.

a8asy5ug.jpg

Ours has a couple of diseases and is on insulin and oral meds. Watching him get weaker and weaker is painful knowing when he is unable to walk and empty his bowels we will have to put him down..
Thinking the sudden exit would be preferable. Maybe not.

For those of us who love our pets almost as much as we love our children, either loss is horrible for us. We do get past the pain of the loss with time, but we never forget what has been taken from us for good, especially when it comes to our own children. It is a hard thing to try and explain to people.

What kept me from never having another dog is my not wanting to go through such a loss again. Now I have two cats, one of them that I just rescued a few months ago, is dying from lung cancer. I'll be digging another hole soon.

-John

I used to grieve at ridicules levels when I lost another of my pet companions, it was awful for me, my living alone and all. Then I lost my youngest daughter, that pretty much put losing my pets in perspective. I still grieve of course, but I am no longer the blubbering old man digging a hole in his yard.

I know what you are going through, I also know that the above advice to get another puppy as soon as you can is solid advice, and I also know that you wont for a while... unless someone else forces one on you. You do need time to sort out your feelings, and you need time to grieve.

I'm sorry for your loss, I hate it when they leave us.

-John
This is so true. We deal with this in our veterinary hospital almost every day. When people lose a loved companion the hurt seems like it will never go away. People use all sorts of excuses not to get another pet. The most common is that it hurts too much to go through it again. But the truth of the matter is that the healing never really starts until you find a new companion to love. We tell this to people all the time, and almost without exception, they always come back and tell us how true that was.

I'm so sorry to hear about Cali.
I know how awful it is to lose a beloved pet.

Does the vet know what happened? Any unexpected loss like that I'm suspicious of hemangiosarcoma, the silent killer. I've had one dog die from this.

We were either going to do a puppy now or in how every many years it takes my boy dog to meet his honored ancestors. We weren't going to leave him as sole dog for years and then change up. I'm glad we got little Phizzbyn, she is a joy to have around.

Several hundred thousand years ago dogs saw us as the emerging dominant species and held a world wide conventions. Delegate doggies from all over the world converged to form an alliance and a game plan to win our hearts with unconditional love. Some fringe dogs protested (wolves, foxes, & coyotes) and remained wild, but for those who joined the alliance of domesticated K9s the spoils have been endless.

As "our" dogs come and go each one grabs a piece of our heart forever. Little do we know or understand this was their grand plan eons ago.

Cats on the other hand have gotten us to admire their "alooftness" and apparent detached admiration, and we cater to their every need.

Stolen and paraphrased from a Charles Krauthammer article.

Last edited:
David,

So sorry for your loss. When you are ready, I agree with the other posts about getting a puppy.

I've been in your shoes. We love our Guinness so much, we decided to get a companion for him - as well as for us, when the time comes. Guinness is only 3 years old, so we're thinking in advance. This is Guinness and his little brother Bruin during a rare quiet time over Christmas:
ymehyha9.jpg

I lost a dog a few years ago that was very important to me. He was my dog before he was born, and I his person. He came to us as a rescue, far too late, and he left us far too early.

A friend gave my wife and and I a beautiful flowering shrub to plant in our garden in his honor. Every spring comes forth a burst of vibrant color that is annual reminder of the beauty in his soul, and the time we were lucky to have spent. It remains one of the nicest gifts I've ever been given. We call it our "Danny plant". A lovely, living memorial.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Perhaps these thoughts will help:
Until one has loved an animal a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so does the other. All have the same breath…all go to the same place.
Ecclesiastes 3:19-20

David.

Condolences.

All us dog lovers have, unfortunately, shared your pain.

I've said it here before, I'll say it again...

The most unfair thing in life, IMO, is the disparity in lifespan between dogs and men.

The only upside is that you get to love more wise souls. So many dogs, so little time.

David.

Condolences.

The most unfair thing in life, IMO, is the disparity in lifespan between dogs and men.
The selfish part of me agrees with you. On the other hand, I have seen an awful lot of older people who's biggest worry is who will take care of their geriatric pet after they are gone. It is generally better for them that we outlive them. Animals do have a survival instinct, but they don't fear death like most humans do.

Pets are a gift that bring you love and happiness for a short time. Then they leave and allow you to share your love with another pet.

Thanks eveybody. The vet said he had no idea what the problem was. All we know is that her heartrate was fast, blood pressure was low, and white bloodcell count was high. We could do an autopsy but it won't bring her back. Cali was my closest friend and companion and I will not be able to replace her. My last semester of school is going to be much harder than I thought without her by my side.

I've loved and lost a lot of dogs. I cry a bit when they go and then go find another rescue dog or pound puppy. The love that you get from your dog infinitely makes up for the bit of grief you must suffer when the inevitable comes to pass. And you can rest assured that you are giving them the best life they could possibly have and infinitely better than some alternatives out there. I don't pray so my best wishes for you and yours will have to do.

We lost a Golden in a similar way about 20 years ago. She had cancer the year before, but the vet thought he got it all. She was looking a little droopy when I went to bed and was dead when I got up the next morning. That hurt. Big time. We got another Golden from a rescue outfit a while later. We had to have her put down a few years ago when she became so crippled she could hardly move.

You know what's worse? Be the vet and have to put your own pet down. Dad HATED doing that, even though he knew it had to be done.

I guess what I'm saying is that I know exactly what you're feeling and going through. You have my sympathy. And Goldens are such wonderful family animals. Give it time, you'll find another. And it won't replace the one you've lost, but it will help you.

I'm so sorry to read about your sweet Cali ... I hope you are swiftly able to find comfort in your many fine memories

Hi David
Im so sorry for your loss, as I have two Goldens right now and have lost three in the past. Nothing like that sugar face of a Golden. Prayers and hugs for your family. Here is a great website for you. http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com
There is a section called rainbow bridge, I suggest you post in that section.

Mike

Last edited:
My father-in-law once said: "It is possible to live without a dog, but why would anyone want to?". Our 11 year old coon hound made us a family. Every day my wife and I take her for a 2 mile walk around the neighborhood. When we have more time, we've taken her for hikes in parks and at other places where she'd have new smells to explore. We've planned vacations, made big life plans, and talked our way through life's challenges on those walks. As we address our issues as a couple, our dog gets to explore her world too.

Hopefully when you think back on the 12 years with your retriever, you'll be able to reflect on how you made your dog's life better as well as how the dog improved your life. If the dog benefitted as much as you have, you have something to celebrate. Many dogs have a life of quiet desperation stuck in a cage with bad food and no "pack" of humans to share life's adventures with. If you gave her companionship and a full life you have something to celebrate. I think there is a special place in heaven for people that treat pets well - and those pets will be there. Good luck with your healing process.

My father-in-law once said: "It is possible to live without a dog, but why would anyone want to?". Our 11 year old coon hound made us a family. Every day my wife and I take her for a 2 mile walk around the neighborhood. When we have more time, we've taken her for hikes in parks and at other places where she'd have new smells to explore. We've planned vacations, made big life plans, and talked our way through life's challenges on those walks. As we address our issues as a couple, our dog gets to explore her world too.

Hopefully when you think back on the 12 years with your retriever, you'll be able to reflect on how you made your dog's life better as well as how the dog improved your life. If the dog benefitted as much as you have, you have something to celebrate. Many dogs have a life of quiet desperation stuck in a cage with bad food and no "pack" of humans to share life's adventures with. If you gave her companionship and a full life you have something to celebrate. I think there is a special place in heaven for people that treat pets well - and those pets will be there. Good luck with your healing process.

Wow, that's one of the neatest things I've ever seen posted here. :thumbsup:

I am sorry for your loss.
If you read your Bible it says animals do not go to heaven. I hope this is wrong too. I have lost some very special friends myself.
Tony

Thanks eveybody. The vet said he had no idea what the problem was. All we know is that her heartrate was fast, blood pressure was low, and white bloodcell count was high. We could do an autopsy but it won't bring her back. Cali was my closest friend and companion and I will not be able to replace her. My last semester of school is going to be much harder than I thought without her by my side.
That sounds weird. I don't think you told is why she was at the vet. It sounds like she was septic (but that is in no way a diagnosis). Was she having any sort of surgical procedure, or was she being treated for any type of infection?

I doubt there's anyone with a heart who hasn't felt what you're feeling now. I deal with pain by writing poems.

Gus

Way back when, at the age of ten,
my daughter came to me
and I asked, “What’s up?” “Dad, I want a pup,
can we have one pretty please?”

Well, I gave in fast to the favor asked,
so we made an action plan –
we’d find for sale, a minpin male
that was painted black and tan.

That tiny breed was the one we’d need,
since he’d be inside all day
where he’d guard our house like a mighty mouse
and he’d frighten thieves away.

When our search was done there was only one
we could find for miles around,
so I made my way out to west GA
to inspect the one we’d found.

In a neighborhood that was less than good
sat a house and out in back
was a patch of clay where some pups could play
near a little wooden shack.

I approached the pen that the brood was in
and out the toddlers ran,
except the one for which I’d come –
the only black and tan.

All the rest, I saw were dressed
in coats of reddish-brown –
I felt distraught, the one I sought
was nowhere to be found.

That little house with sides all doused
in Georgia mud and pee
just might provide a place to hide –
It’s where he had to be.

While on my knees, I had to squeeze
through a door so very small,
and way in back of that tiny shack
sat a furry little ball.

His tail was cropped and one ear flopped,
demeanor brave and spry,
his pedigree was plain to see –
such a handsome little guy.

Our attempts to train were all in vain –
a defiant little man
was very bold and if you tried to scold,
he’d likely bite your hand.

He knew his name, but he never came,
his attention rarely won –
the times I’d call or would throw a ball,
he would simply turn and run.

That little Gus was a part of us
our family held so dear,
we watched him age as he passed each stage
of a little dog’s career.

There came the day his fur turned gray,
by the age of seventeen,
it wasn’t clear he could see or hear –
and the house was his latrine.

His needs we’d tend to the very end
with our tender loving care,
‘cause don’t forget, he was not a pet,
but the child with darker hair.

We took a trip for some fellowship
to my little sister’s place –
since the yard was fenced, we were all convinced
that old Gus could have his space.

‘Twas a real nice day and a pleasant stay
but the time had come to go,
since the interstate wasn’t prone to wait
and the traffic home would slow.

But where was Gus? In all the fuss
we had simply dropped our guard,
so we rushed outside with the hopes we’d find
him somewhere in the yard.

But a tragedy was about to be
with an end no one could fix –
from the common rule that a swimming pool
and old dog just don’t mix.

When we got outside, we were horrified
at the sight that came our way –
through the water-clear was my greatest fear,
on the bottom – there he lay.

For all but me, it was plain to see
that his time had come and gone,
that his lungs were filled with the water’s chill –
but my hope was hanging on.

It took a while just to reconcile,
as I held him soaking wet,
and my mind flashed back to that little shack –
back where me and Gus first met.

That tiny pup that I first picked up
back in 1994
who had come to be such a part of me –
but a part he’d be no more.

I felt right then that I’d never mend
from the grief I felt that day –
that a heart bereft by the hole he left,
was a hefty price to pay.

But I lost the fight on a rescue site,
when a pair of pups in need
would steal my heart and become a part
of a man who loves the breed.

Now black and tan fills our house again
and the clock has been reset –
but the sand will pass through the hourglass
and again I’ll pay the debt.

The love one gets from beloved pets
always meets a certain fate,
but I have no doubt – when my time runs out
they’ll be waiting at the gate.

Cali was a beautiful girl. My sincere condolences for the loss of your friend.

That sounds weird. I don't think you told is why she was at the vet. It sounds like she was septic (but that is in no way a diagnosis). Was she having any sort of surgical procedure, or was she being treated for any type of infection?

I woke up at 5:00 AM to go to work and she was laying down and panting, which she never does. I tried to feed her a treat but she wouldn't eat it. That's when I knew something was wrong. I woke my parents and had to rush off to work while they took her to the vet. The vet said she was in shock when she got there. The high white bloodcell count does seem to mean that she had some sort of infection, but we had no indication of this prior to that morning.

This has been incredibly difficult for me so far, but everyone's kind words are certainly helping. Thanks.

I woke up at 5:00 AM to go to work and she was laying down and panting, which she never does. I tried to feed her a treat but she wouldn't eat it. That's when I knew something was wrong. I woke my parents and had to rush off to work while they took her to the vet. The vet said she was in shock when she got there. The high white bloodcell count does seem to mean that she had some sort of infection, but we had no indication of this prior to that morning.

This has been incredibly difficult for me so far, but everyone's kind words are certainly helping. Thanks.

I lost a very special pet. We traveled the country and went through a lot together. Its been 20 some years and I miss her.
I buried her in my back yard. Then a few years later I get divorced. The judge made us sell the home.
I went out dug up my precious loved one. Took her to a crematorium. When I walked in holding this dirty box with my dog in it, the people at this crematorium was shocked. They could not believe I was doing this. They let me do the cremation. I will never forget it. They asked why I did not send her to them. I told them no way anyone was taking her from me. I had no idea how they did this and I wanted it done right. I did not want to have someones German Shepard and I am thinking is my loved one.

She is here with me as I type this. I will always miss her and she will be buried with me in my casket.

I am sorry for your loss and cry as much as you want. i cried for a month. I am not kidding, my boss thought I lost it. Grieve as much as you want...

Tony

Back