Loss of Medical

Travis.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Travis.
Has anyone who has lost their medical in the past had any difficulty getting hired with a regional airline?

It’s quality of life

A regional with a poor quality of life won’t care

But it’s like prison, you have to do your time

More iffy your app, more time in the regional before a ok quality of life major picks you up

Crap holes like mesa or envoy probably won’t care as long as you have a current ATP and first class “medical”

Last edited:
Did you get your medical back? Companies generally just want to know if you hold the required medical for the job. They can't ask if it is a special issuance and why.

airlnes deal with pilots loosing medicals every day. as long as you have been issued a new medical, even if it required an SI, they are fine with it.

Did you get your medical back? Companies generally just want to know if you hold the required medical for the job. They can't ask if it is a special issuance and why.
The scary thing is that they can’t ask if it’s a special issuance, but if they look you up on the airman registry they can tell if it’s a special issuance. If it says “valid for only 6 months” or “not valid for any class after” then they know it’s an SI for substance abuse/dependence or other mental health issue. From what I’ve seen only mental health issues have a 6 month medical but I could be wrong and there could be others conditions as well. I don’t understand why and how the FAA gets away with making that information public.

All they have to do is look at the medical whcih has a "not valid for any class after __/__/____, and they know it's an SI.

TIf it says “valid for only 6 months” or “not valid for any class after” then they know it’s an SI for substance abuse/dependence or other mental health issue.

I held an SI for years that had the "not valid for any class after..." which had nothing to do with substance abuse or mental health. That's the standard verbiage on an SI. Not sure about what other conditions lead to a six month medical.

If it says “valid for only 6 months” or “not valid for any class after” then they know it’s an SI for substance abuse/dependence or other mental health issue.

I once held a 1st class medical with ''not valid for any class after'' that was NOT a SI for substance abuse/dependence or other mental health issue.

Airlines do not care if you have an SI. They just want you to have a valid 1st class medical. There are lots of airline pilots with an SI for various reasons.

I held an SI for years that had the "not valid for any class after..." which had nothing to do with substance abuse or mental health. That's the standard verbiage on an SI. Not sure about what other conditions lead to a six month medical.
It's not only 6 months. I had an SI that was 12 months.

Back