LORAN likely to make a comeback

The key is to look at the wavelengths of the different systems. Loran operated at 100 KHZ which has a wave length of almost 2 miles, whereas the GPS systems operate with a wave length of few inches. Creating an antennae for a jammer to get a reasonable signal strength when you are competing with a system that has a wave length of 2 miles means you won't have a very portable rig.

Last edited:
Do we have any Alaskans at PoA who operate Chaika equipment?

If you delete the word "GPS" from coordinates, the sentence makes sense. We just always add the word GPS colloquially, even if lat/long coordinates were around for centuries before!

GPS coordinates just means GPS-derived coordinates. It's perfectly reasonable to use GPS to determine the coordinates, then store them permanently in these fixed locations.

One we will have computers than will be able to spell check my statements, and not make mistakes. :D

Tim

Terrorists are worth $1.25 each. That is the cost of each round in my .40 caliber Glock. Disposal of the remains is not my responsibility.

Natural processes will take care of 'em. Just leave 'em where they lie.

Terrorists are worth $1.25 each. That is the cost of each round in my .40 caliber Glock. Disposal of the remains is not my responsibility.

Expensive ammo. $.39/round for 62gr loads for 5.56mm NATO.

My NorthStar Loran never, ever failed to display a NAV solution (until the signal was shut down). GPS, not so much...
I did fish recon flying in 80's and 90's, southcentral and western Alaska. Installed an Apollo Loran. It was good for low altitude nav, far better than anything else available, BUT... the nav solution often went away in moderate to heavy precip (just when you really needed it...). Replaced it with an early Garmin GPS. Never had that problem again, and the real-time accuracy was much improved. It seems that local jamming/spoofing of radio nav signals could be a problem with GPS or Loran. As far as shooting down satellites, you only need to "see" three for a nav fix, and there are, what, a couple dozen of them in orbit? Installing, manning and maintaining dozens of Loran transmission stations sounds expensive. Seems like there might be better options.

Except that on average we used 250'000 bullets for each insurgent killed in Afghanistan and Iraq (GAO study) - so it's closer to $312000 each.

Except that on average we used 250'000 bullets for each insurgent killed in Afghanistan and Iraq (GAO study) - so it's closer to $312000 each.

Perhaps the military should emphasize accuracy rather than just filling the air with lead hoping it will hit someone. :rolleyes:

Who's "we"? You have a mouse in your pocket? :)

Folks born in the post-GPS world tend to add GPS to lat/long coordinates even if it isn't really GPS-derived. If you're younger than 40, there's often an extra "GPS" added for no good reason.

Most people don't consider the airframe to be NAV equipment.

But f you really want to continue to play stupid, I've never had LORAN work in precip. If you want to consider that an equipment failure, feel free.
He's not playing stupid. I've flown plenty of hours in IFR using loran. Sounds like you were in some really well maintained equipment

Loran also didn't work when someone was using the SSB Aeronautical Mobile on the Ham bands. I used to have the Navigator yell at me when we crossing the Pacific and I was using the SSB on 20 Meters.

Most people don't consider the airframe to be NAV equipment.

But f you really want to continue to play stupid, I've never had LORAN work in precip. If you want to consider that an equipment failure, feel free.
Not playing stupid at all. I am keeping things in perspective. You have taken one particular circumstance of broken bonding strap and extrapolated it to another situation entirely, namely jamming. The two are about as far apart as the Sun and Pluto. Jamming is interference in the electromagnetic spectrum. A broken strap is a maintenance item.

Now do you have something intelligent to type or are you going to keep mumbling about how broken equipment somehow equals ease of jamming?

The report includes training rounds. Even if we didn't go into Iraq or Afghanistan, we still would've spent the money in rounds but with no kills to show for it.

Back