LOP, from low power?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Would this work? (has it been already thrashed about and disproven?)

If I understand it right, the concern about the Big Pull is lingering in the red box.
So you want to aggressively get past there, to the lean side.

What if you set the power to less than 65 or 70%, pulled to well LOP and then put MP/RPM up to the desired, higher cruise power settings?

Ie, completely avoid the red box through power settings, before going LOP.

Yes, you might have to find peak again at the new power settings but wouldn't you be approaching it from the lean side and avoid the painful ROP side entirely?

my engine: TSIO-550

It’s not that big a deal to pass through the red box quickly, several seconds is inconsequential, you won’t hurt the engine doing it. And the idea of the BMP is to pass through it quickly and then enrichen from the lean side. No need to reinvent the process. Pull until you feel it slow down, the add fuel to the desired fuel flow and EGT.

Tons of threads over on BeechTalk from the absolute experts on the topic. Read up on it and you’ll get comfortable with the process.

Yuuuuup!

Did it twice yesterday..... biiiig pull, stumble-grumble.....push in a little juice on the red handle....smoooooths out. Whatch TIT and fine adjust for 1540 EGT..... monitor CHTs to keep under the magic 400 number.

From ROP to LOP I loose about 12-15 kts and burn 10 gph less doing so.

Yuuuuup!

Did it twice yesterday..... biiiig pull, stumble-grumble.....push in a little juice on the red handle....smoooooths out. Whatch TIT and fine adjust for 1540 EGT..... monitor CHTs to keep under the magic 400 number.

From ROP to LOP I loose about 12-15 kts and burn 10 gph less doing so.
You lose 10 gph between ROP an LOP? What the heck are you flying? I barely burn 10 gph total when ROP.

You lose 10 gph between ROP an LOP? What the heck are you flying? I barely burn 10 gph total when ROP.

I hope it's 10 gph from full rich . . . I run ROP, around 9 gph leaner than full rich and generally more than 5 mph faster.

Turbo Lance. I burn 35gph on take off too........TIO540- s1ad. Book best power is 2575, 30” and 24gph. I usually run it 2400 30” LOP at 14gph.

I hope it's 10 gph from full rich . . . I run ROP, around 9 gph leaner than full rich and generally more than 5 mph faster.

Can you do that at 17k like I can.....?

Can you do that at 17k like I can.....?

The highest I've gone in my NA engine is 15,000 msl, and climb rate was really poor the last couple thousand. It was a hot August afternoon, and I later calculated 18,800 DA. And yes, once I finally leveled off, I leaned like always.

At what... 40% power? I’m still pushing 28 inches in cruise and scooting along sucking on gas. Turbochargers suck below 10k... really, they suck a lot of gas. You need to get into cool air and up high to make them worth the effort. The cost of low compression pistons I guess.

At what... 40% power? I’m still pushing 28 inches in cruise and scooting along sucking on gas. Turbochargers suck below 10k... really, they suck a lot of gas. You need to get into cool air and up high to make them worth the effort. The cost of low compression pistons I guess.

Yup, only thing worse is turbines below 10. Like trying to drive that sports car on first gear everywhere lol.

Back