Loose lips sink ships

That's what I was thinking, they can deny services, but once they acknowledge you unless they tell you to stay clear you're good to enter aren't you?

Nope, only if they state your callsign may you enter.

(c) Communications. Each person operating an aircraft in Class C airspace must meet the following two-way radio communications requirements:

(1) Arrival or through flight. Each person must establish two-way radio communications with the ATC facility (including foreign ATC in the case of foreign airspace designated in the United States) providing air traffic services prior to entering that airspace and thereafter maintain those communications while within that airspace.

(ii) From a satellite airport without an operating control tower, must establish and maintain two-way radio communications with the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the Class C airspace area as soon as practicable after departing. PINE BLUFF

AIM 3-2-4 Class C

3. Arrival or Through Flight Entry Requirements. Two‐way radio communication must be established with the ATC facility providing ATC services prior to entry and thereafter maintain those communications while in Class C airspace. Pilots of arriving aircraft should contact the Class C airspace ATC facility on the publicized frequency and give their position, altitude, radar beacon code, destination, and request Class C service. Radio contact should be initiated far enough from the Class C airspace boundary to preclude entering Class C airspace before two‐way radio communications are established.

1. If the controller responds to a radio call with, “(aircraft callsign) standby,” radio communications have been established and the pilot can enter the Class C airspace.

2. If workload or traffic conditions prevent immediate provision of Class C services, the controller will inform the pilot to remain outside the Class C airspace until conditions permit the services to be provided.

3. It is important to understand that if the controller responds to the initial radio call without using the aircraft identification, radio communications have not been established and the pilot may not enter the Class C airspace.

4. Though not requiring regulatory action, Class C airspace areas have a procedural Outer Area. Normally this area is 20 NM from the primary Class C airspace airport. Its vertical limit extends from the lower limits of radio/radar coverage up to the ceiling of the approach control's delegated airspace, excluding the Class C airspace itself, and other airspace as appropriate. (This outer area is not charted.) PINE BLUFF

SO to get really picky, the controller did not follow the rules since I was departing from a satellite airport within the Outer Area. I know the AIM is not regulatory, but FAR 91.130 (ii) covers Pine Bluff.

Last edited:
That is how they acknowledge you, without the call sign it's not 'you', sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

Oh, I understand your statement now. :yesnod: I have been studying this section today for my CFI lesson plans so I was in teaching mode. :rofl:

That exact question has been asked by our Chief CFI. So I assumed the acknowledge part was him just saying you in general.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking, they can deny services, but once they acknowledge you unless they tell you to stay clear you're good to enter aren't you?

Any B, C, D controlled area can deny entry, to my knowledge. C and D have to say your callsign before you can enter. If they do not want you in they say "aircraft calling from (your location), please stand by." In that case, they have not "established commmunication" and you may not enter.

Any B, C, D controlled area can deny entry, to my knowledge. C and D have to say your callsign before you can enter. If they do not want you in they say "aircraft calling from (your location), please stand by." In that case, they have not "established commmunication" and you may not enter.

I believe C must use your call sign, D must only respond to you with a non denial statement; I.e. "aircraft calling Long Beach stand by" is all you need to proceed, aircraft calling Long Beach remain clear" is required to keep you out. B of course must issue a clearance.

Last edited:
Back