Loose Adjustment Knobs on Cessna Seat

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
Friends - I have an infinitely adjustable seat in my Cessna 182. There are two cranks for adjustment up/down and back/forward. On the cranks are little plastic knobs that rotate freely on what appears to be a hollow pin with the edges pressed outward to hold everything in place. Over the years, the knobs have gotten pretty loose and wobbly. I tried using a C-clamp and some small sockets to get into the recesses of the knobs and compress the pin, but wasn't able to make any progress. I didn't want to force the issue for fear of breaking the knobs.

Has anyone successfully been able to fix this problem? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks.

I'm concerned that I'll be buying handles with the same issue.
Went and looked at an old 172 handle. If yours is similar to that one, you might be able to drill out the pin/rivet, measure the knob ID, and reinstall with a larger diameter pin/rivet? Or maybe a spacer w/ screw? Or? It would be better if you removed the handle and did the drilling on a press. Plus this action easily fits under prevent mx.

Went and looked at an old 172 handle. If yours is similar to that one, you might be able to drill out the pin/rivet, measure the knob ID, and reinstall with a larger diameter pin/rivet? Or maybe a spacer w/ screw? Or? It would be better if you removed the handle and did the drilling on a press. Plus this action easily fits under prevent mx.

If what I have is the same as yours, the challenge is holding the center pin/rivet securely so it doesn't spin when drilling. If I can figure out how to do that, rest is easy (screw with a nylock nut in place of the pin/rivet).

the challenge is holding the center pin/rivet securely so it doesn't spin when drilling.
The one I looked at had a slight flare on the metal arm side for the pin. If yours is the same maybe get some RH and LH drill bits that equal the diameter of the flare. One of them should cut the flare off without turning. If not maybe bind the pin by pushing laterally on the knob. Even if you screw up the knob, Plan B could be to replace that knob with a DIY version? However, now you're venturing out of the prevent mx side of things.

Even if you screw up the knob, Plan B could be to replace that knob with a DIY version? However, now you're venturing out of the prevent mx side of things.

I've been thinking about this, and I might be able to work an oscillating multi-tool in between the knob and the handle, and cut the pin that way.

Sounds like the knob has a roll pin holding the knob on. You can get those at the hardware store and cut to length. If the knob is bad, you can find many of these modeled for a 3D printer. Just download the STL file and have a friend with a 3D printer print in nylon, ABS, or ASA. PLA does not hold up well in a hot plane interior.

Sounds like the knob has a roll pin holding the knob on. You can get those at the hardware store and cut to length. If the knob is bad, you can find many of these modeled for a 3D printer. Just download the STL file and have a friend with a 3D printer print in nylon, ABS, or ASA. PLA does not hold up well in a hot plane interior.

It’s not a roll pin. The center pin is essentially solid, and the end is peened over to keep it in place. It’s not easy to drill out, because the pin itself rotates and it’s difficult to get something on it to keep it from rotating while being drilled.

Are you worried about it coming off? Mine are a bit loose but I haven’t thought much about it.

But I set my seat height in the hanger with no weight on the seat and forget about it forever (unless I have a friend sit in the left seat, which is rare). It’s a bit harder to turn while seated due to weight and I could see breaking the knob, perhaps.

The back I might adjust on a long XC, but there’s less pressure on the knob if I’m not leaning on the seat-back.

Those handles are annoying on the back of my calves at times.

Plan B could be to replace that knob with a DIY version? However, now you're venturing out of the prevent mx side of things.

Can VARMA come to the rescue?

I'm having trouble picturing why you couldn't just peen it a bit more to tighten it up....

I'm having trouble picturing why you couldn't just peen it a bit more to tighten it up....

Difficult to do in place, and removing the handle and lining up small roll pin holes to reinstall seems like a daunting task.

Back