Loon Balloons?

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
Noticed these on ADS-B Exchange tonight. Loon Balloons?

Loon_Balloons.png

More than I have ever seen before. Two of the three "aeroplane" symbols are likely misidentified and are also baloons, the third (over NY ish) who knows? Filter on altitude 50-65,000.

baLOONs.jpg

Google, they use them to beam internet to places without it. But since they're balloons they're not always necessarily over a rural area on the whims of the wind.

on the whims of the wind.

I have not seen details published however I get the impression that they seem to be able to keep them where they want to a large extent. I think they are helium filled and they use solar powered pumps to re-compress the helium to descend and release it into the envelope to ascend. They have a long duration.

By altering the altitude they can get various different weathers, wind directions.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk...ystem-that-kept-its-balloons-over-puerto-rico
Says it's air that they pump in and out. More air, heavier, down. From the photos, I guess they have two concentric envelopes, one with helium and another with air??? Not clear to me exactly how it works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loon_LLC
"The balloons typically have a maximum life of about 100 days, although Google claims that its tweaked design can enable them to stay aloft for closer to 200 days"

Looks like from 60,000ft the horizon is 300 miles. Maybe two could cover the whole of Florida?

Looks like from 60,000ft the horizon is 300 miles. Maybe two could cover the whole of Florida?
I don't think 2 would have the capacity for that though. They go to disaster areas without power, etc. Not really looking to replace Verizon or whoever.

I've seen those on Flightaware over Iowa from time to time, usually appears to launch out of Sioux Falls. I'm curious about the system and who is the end user? Or do regular cell phones connect to these without our knowledge.

The one's I see come from Winnemuca. Wandering all over.

I know this is an old thread. I seen this tonight and I was under the impression that they had pretty much given up on the loon balloon idea:

upload_2022-1-30_0-14-44.jpeg

I've seen those on Flightaware over Iowa from time to time, usually appears to launch out of Sioux Falls. I'm curious about the system and who is the end user? Or do regular cell phones connect to these without our knowledge.

There is a manufacturer of balloon hulls in Sioux Falls. Used to be occasional notams for aerostats being launched and retrieved.

NASA has a balloon launch facility in Palestine, Texas.

I think they are helium filled and they use solar powered pumps to re-compress the helium to descend and release it into the envelope to ascend. They have a long duration.

By altering the altitude they can get various different weathers, wind directions.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk...ystem-that-kept-its-balloons-over-puerto-rico
Says it's air that they pump in and out. More air, heavier, down. From the photos, I guess they have two concentric envelopes, one with helium and another with air??? Not clear to me exactly how it works.

That's pretty much it, they do it the same way on blimps, pumping air into or letting it out of the "balloonets" inside the envelope. It doesn't need to be concentric, just an bag inside that can be inflated or let collapse.

I think the blimps use scoops in the prop blast to pressurize the balloonets, but I'm not sure about that.

Back