looks like iOS 8.2 finally fixed things

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
Loaded 8.2 a couple days ago and so far so good. Wifi hasn't gotten hung up, bluetooth keyboard hasn't gotten lost, no clipboard problems yet.

You loaded 8.2 on some other device than you EFB correct?

Loaded 8.2 a couple days ago and so far so good. Wifi hasn't gotten hung up, bluetooth keyboard hasn't gotten lost, no clipboard problems yet.

I upgraded both the 6plus and iPad Air2 the other night. Yesterday morning I'm on the iPad with my phone across the room, and my iPad rang and I answered the call in it.

I upgraded both the 6plus and iPad Air2 the other night. Yesterday morning I'm on the iPad with my phone across the room, and my iPad rang and I answered the call in it.

Yup, they started doing that on the last release on my older hardware.

The alignment in my car is still a little off, so I wouldn't say it fixed 'everything'...

Did it fix that unusable 'user interface'.

If it fixes the bloat ware slowing the system down and draining the battery, that would be great.

One oddity still remains...

On the default iPhone keyboard, they found room for cursor keys - very handy.

But none to be found on the larger iPad keyboard.

Seems backwards, no?

Seems backwards, no?

I can't figure it out why they leave it off the iPad.:dunno: I would use it a lot.

Seems backwards, no?
Uh, how do you get to these cursor keys? I don't see them on my Iphone 5 w IOS 8.2

Uh, how do you get to these cursor keys? I don't see them on my Iphone 5 w IOS 8.2

:dunno: They're on my 6+, pretty nifty, I considered it a design failure corrected. Why it's on a limited basis:dunno: I have noticed that Autocorrect and Autofill features have become exponentially worse since I was forced to upgrade from 6.1.3.:nonod:

I only know they are there on my 6+.

Apparently on the 6 in a slightly different configuration:

keyboard-extensions-100437668-large.jpg

Not sure offhand if that's 6 and 6+ or portrait vs landscape - will have to look.

edited to add: Just looked. On the 6+ they are only there in landscape, so my assumption is the upper image is the 6 in landscape.

Last edited:
It does not seem to have impacted the Bloatware/speed problem.

Did you get the Iwatch Ap? We upgraded one of our Apple devices and now have another AP we can't remove.
Tim

Not available. Only on the 6 and 6+

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you get the Iwatch Ap? We upgraded one of our Apple devices and now have another AP we can't remove.

Tim

Create a single group and drag all the stuff you don't need into it. Move the group to a back page. Simple.

I can't figure it out why they leave it off the iPad.:dunno: I would use it a lot.

It is a mystery. My guess is the belief is that the iPad screen is large enough for touch to work well even with large fingers.

It is a mystery. My guess is the belief is that the iPad screen is large enough for touch to work well even with large fingers.

They guessed wrong.:( Much simpler to tap back, insert, tap forward, than to roll the bloody cursor that may jump as I lift my finger.:mad2:

You guys know there is a precision cursor mode, right? Press and hold your finger in the editable text box, and a little magnifying glass circle pops up. Move your finger around, and the cursor follows. Much easier than trying to put the cursor where you want with a tap.

You guys know there is a precision cursor mode, right? Press and hold your finger in the editable text box, and a little magnifying glass circle pops up. Move your finger around, and the cursor follows. Much easier than trying to put the cursor where you want with a tap.

Yeah yeah, but it's far from elegant. All too often the cursor jumps around.

I made the grievous error of allowing my iPad 2 to be upgraded to iOS 8, and now it is the slowest pig of a slug of a device. I often find typing lags 2-3 seconds behind. Terrible.

If I could roll back to 7, I would.

Thought I posted this opinion but apparently not. The Bloatware/processing speed were NOT resolved in IOS 8.2 !!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like more childish embroidery than App improvement to me.

I made the grievous error of allowing my iPad 2 to be upgraded to iOS 8, and now it is the slowest pig of a slug of a device. I often find typing lags 2-3 seconds behind. Terrible.

Hmmm, I have a few funky little issues, but nothing like that. I resisted upgrading on my old 2 from 6.1.3 until I got the iPad Air 2, now everything is on the same version. The reason I upgraded was because my iPad 2 was experiencing issues from being out of memory. Once I swapped to the 128GB platform and cleared a bunch of stuff off the old one and upgraded it (it now has 8.2), it's working fine.

Thought I posted this opinion but apparently not. The Bloatware/processing speed were NOT resolved in IOS 8.2 !!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like more childish embroidery than App improvement to me.

What is this "bloatware" that you speak of? Yes, Apple has added some apps that you can't delete, but I haven't seen any evidence that they impact the speed of the OS. Most of the other OS "toys" introduced with iOS 8 can be disabled in Settings.

iOS 8 isn't nearly as fast as the last 7.1 release, but it seems to be getting better. It is rumored that Apple intends to focus on speed and stability for the next major release of iOS, and I would expect iOS 8 to get better in this regard up until that time.

Regarding the keyboards, you guys know that you can install third-party keyboards, right? I haven't tried any, but would be interested to know if any of them are a worthy upgrade over the default Apple keyboard.

JKG

I've looked at other keyboards but none appeared to do anything better than the stock 'board for me. I do have an emoji keyboard to provide quick access to those for intra-family text messages, but that's it.

Yup, they started doing that on the last release on my older hardware.

Yeah way before 8.2. It'll also throw them to a newer iMac or MacBook. I kinda like the iCloud thing with being able to open up a web page that's open on the iPad on the desktop and vice versa too.

The ability to send a real SMS / non-iMessage message from the Mac without picking up the phone, just by being in proximity to the Mac with the iPhone is nice too. Don't really have to think about it anymore. Just open up Messages and send and it'll figure it out.

Tim

Create a single group and drag all the stuff you don't need into it. Move the group to a back page. Simple.

Yup. Have an Apple folder for all their stuff that isn't used regularly and dump them all in the folder.

I do wish you could set up folders on one IPs device and then copy that exact same folder structure onto another without having to re-do it on both.

Oops. That would be painful. Welcome to forced upgrade time. Ha. The warp drive is overloaded. :)

What is this "bloatware" that you speak of? Yes, Apple has added some apps that you can't delete, but I haven't seen any evidence that they impact the speed of the OS.

iOS 8 rendered older hardware unusable due to processors not being up to the task with the needs of the new version. iPhone4 and older iPads are a good example. A lot of people see it as a "forced" hardware upgrade from Apple.

Frankly, I see hardware as disposable after 3-4 years. A lot of people don't.

Last edited:
On a tangent:

WTF is up with apple's recent loathing of contractions? This isn't new with 8.2 but it's a relatively recent development.

For example if I type in "it's", auto correct changes it to "it so". Not always but many times.

It especially hates contractions ending with "d". It changes them every time. "They'd" becomes "They do".

WTF? It's really aggravating.

iOS 8 rendered older hardware unusable due to processors not being up to the task with the needs of the new version. iPhone4 and older iPads are a good example. A lot of people see it as a "forced" hardware upgrade from Apple.

Frankly, I see hardware as disposable after 3-4 years. A lot of people don't.

At some point, the progression of new software is going to render old hardware obsolete; that is a problem inherent with virtually all modern technology products. I get that Apple essentially forces you along with that progression, but there are some fair arguments for why they do that. Regardless of platform, users are eventually going to be orphaned by OS or app upgrades.

I'm skeptical that iOS 8 is "unusable" on any supported hardware, but I'll admit that there was a regression in performance from 7.1.x to 8, especially with Safari. Ironically, from a system perspective, my [newer and faster] iPhone 5s appears to suffer more than my iPad 3, primarily due to a persistent issue with momentary freezing during text entry. The symptoms of this problem seem to have improved, but haven't been eliminated, as of iOS 8.2. Separately, I'm still not a big fan of the "flat" UI design, but it's what we are stuck with at the moment.

Historically, Apple has done an very good job supporting older hardware. My 2008 MacBook Pro is still supported by the latest version of Mac OS X, with no discernible performance issues. Mobile hardware has obviously advanced more quickly and unfortunately seems to have a much shorter lifecycle.

JKG

8.2 fixed an error with FLYQ EFB where it would continually display a box stating that it could not connect to my ADS_B device. Interestingly, WingX Pro did not have the issue and stayed connected to my iLevil SW. Now both apps work with the iLevil SW again.

Back