Looking to upgrade on a budget

Dan Gordon

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dgplo
I’m looking at an avionics upgrade on a budget. I have a basic IFR panel in my Cherokee. In short i have a TKM Navcomm with glide slope and VOR locater. Audio panel is a PSE 8000G. Also have a basic king comm radio. Looking to replace the King comm radio, while adding an older Waas capable GPS. My current GPS is a hardwired Garmin aera 660. I’m a VFR pilot now, looking to start instrument training next year.

I’m wondering if adding a Garmin 420w makes sense with my setup? Again, looking to upgrade on a budget. My next upgrade at some point will be a pair of G5’s or Aspen E5 — to get rid of the vacuum system.

is this a good path, is the 430w worth the extra $$’s instead of the 420? Thanks…

How much is a 420W? A brand new GPS175 MSRP is $5500. 1 WAAS GPS plus one NAV radio should be enough for instrument training.

Spend the extra for something newer.

Yep. Garmin's 4xx series is getting long in the tooth. A newer platform insures that you won't be left holding the bag in a couple of years when the spare parts bin runs dry.

I don't know anyone who has been disappointed with the installation of a new (at the time) model WAAS GPS for IFR. Buying an ancient model is false economy, because they may become unsupported or unrepairable at any time. I have a 430W (installed new) and it is likely near the end of its useful life. When it turns into a pumpkin, it gets replaced with a new IFD440. Or a GTN. Not a legacy unit.

Back