Looking to replace mixture control

Motor6

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Motor 6
I recently acquired a 1967 PA-32-260. The current mixture control is a simple push/pull cable, no twist for fine adjustment. It works but feels very imprecise and I prefer the twist adjustment. Has anyone changed from one to the other? Is it a one piece cable and knob or do I just need to replace the knob?

Attachments

• 381B5AEA-E31B-46BB-B55F-A1DF887128A1.jpeg
    381B5AEA-E31B-46BB-B55F-A1DF887128A1.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 11
The vernier mixture control is a complete assembly of the knob and cable/wire. The wire cable may be slightly thicker and the hole in your instrument panel may need to be enlarged to accommodate the control. This is something that requires an A&P and may require an STC.

Has anyone changed from one to the other?
Look into McFarlane vernier cables. Most are PMA replacements but will require the entire cable to be replaced by your mechanic.

Thanks for the information. I hadn’t heard the term “vernier” before. It makes the search much easier. McFarlane looks like a great place to start.

The McFarlane cable has a much thicker wire, and the wire clamp at the mixture lever on the carb or servo will have to be replaced or modified. If it's a small AN3 bolt, the larger hole in it removes a lot more metal and weakens it badly. Got to be careful here.

And yes, the hole in the panel has to be drilled out. If that panel as a stiffening flange bent into it along its lower edge, and the mix control hole is close to it, you could run out of room for the big nut that holds the control in the panel.

BTDT.

Thanks Dan. I think I’ve got the space on the panel side. I’ll have to see what the carb lever side looks like. Just trying to figure out how involved this would be before I get an A&P involved.

Back