Looking to Fly to KEGE from Detroit Area

Bill Inspogue

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bill
For pilots familiar w/CO mountain flying, I am looking to fly a Commander 114 from Detroit to KEGE (Vail CO). I am thinking of crossing over near Salida (KANK) Leadville (KLXV). Not sure what pass you'd recommend going thru from KLXV to KEGE or if you'd recommend to fly a different route altogether? Hoping to fly in late Sept. Should not be near max gross wt.

Do not fly Independence Pass unless you're in the flight levels or at least 16.5k. Your route is probably the most questionable in the area. Take a look at a map. Visit Colorado Aeronautics website for recommended routes, mountain AWOS freqs, etc.

Thanks. I am thinking maybe Hagerman Pass at around 12.5K to 13K after passing KLXV. I won't have Oxygen.

I alway hesitate giving advice on trips into the Rockies - except to see a CFI in the area first- since I never know how much the pilot asking the question already knows. But let's just say that I would not choose that route as the best option (yes, I have flown it and yes it is doable, crossing Hagerman Pass from Leadville to the Aspen area, but I wouldn't choose it as the best option.)

I just drew a straight line from KDTW to KEGE on Skyvector. Strangely enough, I think that direct route is better than the one you propose. One major pass to cross that has an easy turn around back to metro Denver if you need it - Rollins - and the rest of the flight over relatively low terrain.

Still assuming, of course, you know what the heck you are doing and are not committed to flying straight lines.

'Late Sept', 'lighter weight', those are helpful factors. I don't have a planning chart in front of me but I'd look to keep elevations reasonable, even if one has to out of the way a bit. Your plane should be quite capable.

I recently got into a Commander 112, still doing the shakeout cruise with it.

Thanks. I am thinking maybe Hagerman Pass at around 12.5K to 13K after passing KLXV. I won't have Oxygen.

I recommend oxygen, I have no problem around 11,500-12,500; but the second I start to creep up near 13,000 I begin to experience hypoxia within five to ten minutes or so. Meanwhile, I flew all the way down to FL from NJ and back in my Diamond at 11,500/12,500 and felt completely fine.

I alway hesitate giving advice on trips into the Rockies - except to see a CFI in the area first- since I never know how much the pilot asking the question already knows. But let's just say that I would not choose that route as the best option (yes, I have flown it and yes it is doable, crossing Hagerman Pass from Leadville to the Aspen area, but I wouldn't choose it as the best option.)

I just drew a straight line from KDTW to KEGE on Skyvector. Strangely enough, I think that direct route is better than the one you propose. One major pass to cross that has an easy turn around back to metro Denver if you need it - Rollins - and the rest of the flight over relatively low terrain.

Still assuming, of course, you know what the heck you are doing and are not committed to flying straight lines.

With Mark's cautions endorsed, here is the lowest and in my opinion safest route for an inexperienced mountain pilot: KYIP 405703N1061845W 402213N1062851W RLG 394941N1065927W KEGE

I think max altitude required is about 10,500'. Fly it early in the day with winds aloft below 20 knots and VMC. There are no sharp ridges to cross and except for a couple places heavy forest is avoided.

Rollins is a good option. I crossed that three times in an Ercoupe in the summer going in and out of Eagle. Leadville isn't bad either. I flew Leadville to Avon then down the canyon to Eagle in an archer and also in that same Ercoupe.

Pay attention to winds aloft and mountain flying training is a good idea.

Last edited:
If the winds aloft at 10k are approaching 30kts or greater - find something fun to do in Denver till things settle down. Trust me.

Fly that sucker to Texas and let me take a look at it first! Im itching to fly a Commander 114

I am not sure I understand your route. If I were coming from Detroit, I would head to Ft. Collins, find a low point, cross the divide, head to Walden then Kremmling then to a point north of Vail that looks low and cross over to Vail. Get some old sectionals and a yard stick and lay the route out adance (absolutely required). 12.5K ought to be enough if you plan it right. Have plenty of gas, do not push the weather, know how to properly lean the engine for takeoff, be knowledgeable about density altitude, navigate accurately, watch out for turbulence and downsloping winds. Flying the mountains is not hard but it does require a lot of specialized knowledge. A better way to do the trip is to leave a day or two early and stop on the front range and get a mountain checkout from a competent CFI. You should also call the FBO at Eagle and get an estimate of cost before you arrive. BTW no IFR without a lot of mountain experience and Oxygen.

I am not sure I understand your route. If I were coming from Detroit, I would head to Ft. Collins,
The other plus side to this is Ft. Collins is a great college town with a lot of cool stuff to do and see! :)

I am not sure I understand your route. If I were coming from Detroit, I would head to Ft. Collins, find a low point, cross the divide, head to Walden then Kremmling then to a point north of Vail that looks low and cross over to Vail. Get some old sectionals and a yard stick and lay the route out adance (absolutely required). 12.5K ought to be enough if you plan it right. Have plenty of gas, do not push the weather, know how to properly lean the engine for takeoff, be knowledgeable about density altitude, navigate accurately, watch out for turbulence and downsloping winds. Flying the mountains is not hard but it does require a lot of specialized knowledge. A better way to do the trip is to leave a day or two early and stop on the front range and get a mountain checkout from a competent CFI. You should also call the FBO at Eagle and get an estimate of cost before you arrive. BTW no IFR without a lot of mountain experience and Oxygen.
From Detroit it looks like Cheyenne is a little more direct which is the route I laid out in a previous post. The lowest point to cross is between Cheyenne and Ft. Collins.

No, no, no. Detroit to DTO! Then wherever west he was going...

Walt is right about checking out what the FBO charges. I worked for the Vail Valley Jet Center last winter (only FBO at KEGE) and nothing is cheap. They are getting better at being nice to the small guys.

Flying into Eagle isn't hard. But if you are unsure, I've shuttled instructors from Alpine Flight Training at KEGE to other airports to give people mountain instruction into Eagle.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

And since I never answered the original question, Maciej had the right route. Walden (33V) and Kremling VOR (RLG) are the lowest altitude for the longest time.

My first flight into the Rockies from the East did exactly that. I was flying in to Rifle to spend some time with a mountain flying CFI. He advised me to go over Hagerman pass, then follow the valley down past the Ruedi reservoir and finally down to the valley with interstate 70. It was really easy and I never had to go over 12.5K. You could do that then head east along 70 to Eagle. For a first timer in the mountains it was not a problem. That CFI was very experienced and said that was the easiest route. You could always do what I did and contact a real live mountain flying CFI in the area and ask their advice.

My first flight into the Rockies from the East did exactly that. I was flying in to Rifle to spend some time with a mountain flying CFI. He advised me to go over Hagerman pass, then follow the valley down past the Ruedi reservoir and finally down to the valley with interstate 70. It was really easy and I never had to go over 12.5K. You could do that then head east along 70 to Eagle. For a first timer in the mountains it was not a problem. That CFI was very experienced and said that was the easiest route. You could always do what I did and contact a real live mountain flying CFI in the area and ask their advice.
His name is Loren French. (970) 524-4770

Back