Looking for Wisconsin day trips

Rooney Freimund

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rooney F.
Hello, I am looking for day trips to airport restaurants/attractions in WI for the Mrs. and me. Pat O'Malley's Jet Room in MSN is on the list already. Home base is Watertown (RYV) and I rent a 172. Kid trip ideas are welcomed, too. Thanks in advance!!!

definitely check out Bessie's DIner, kjvl

Last edited:
Hello, I am looking for day trips to airport restaurants/attractions in WI for the Mrs. and me. Pat O'Malley's Jet Room in MSN is on the list already. Home base is Watertown (RYV) and I rent a 172. Kid trip ideas are welcomed, too. Thanks in advance!!!

For $100 hamburgers out of Watertown...

Janesville has a new restaurant.
Sheboygan has yet another restaurant (check hours).
Pilot Pete's at Schaumburg, IL (06C) is one of the best airport restaurants around, IMO.
Oshkosh has a couple of places nearby if you park at the Hilton ramp.
A bit farther afield, I really like Three Lakes (40D, really nice lit grass field). Sunset Grill is across the street from the runway 21 threshold, or there's a tiki bar just down the way, I think you can rent boats right there, you can camp on the field (and there's a camp store in the same building as the Sunset Grill), etc... Really a great place to go.

If you want a great romantic night with the Mrs., fly down the Chicago lakeshore in that last hour before sunset. Land and eat at either KIGQ (Lynnie Que's BBQ) or 05C Griffith-Merrillville (Mi Tierra mexican). Make the return trip up the Chicago lakeshore at night. Or, fly up to Schoolcraft County (MI UP) and check out the stars - They're awesome up there. Or go stay overnight up by 6Y9 (cabins near the east end of the runway - And be sure to let @Dizaster know you're coming!)

I'm looking forward to seeing the "Kids" ideas - Mine is still under 2 years old, but he LOVES airplanes. We've flown on some longer trips, but generally to get to functions with family and friends, and not day trips centered on him.

For $100 hamburgers out of Watertown...

Janesville has a new restaurant.
Sheboygan has yet another restaurant (check hours).
Pilot Pete's at Schaumburg, IL (06C) is one of the best airport restaurants around, IMO.
Oshkosh has a couple of places nearby if you park at the Hilton ramp.
A bit farther afield, I really like Three Lakes (40D, really nice lit grass field). Sunset Grill is across the street from the runway 21 threshold, or there's a tiki bar just down the way, I think you can rent boats right there, you can camp on the field (and there's a camp store in the same building as the Sunset Grill), etc... Really a great place to go.

If you want a great romantic night with the Mrs., fly down the Chicago lakeshore in that last hour before sunset. Land and eat at either KIGQ (Lynnie Que's BBQ) or 05C Griffith-Merrillville (Mi Tierra mexican). Make the return trip up the Chicago lakeshore at night. Or, fly up to Schoolcraft County (MI UP) and check out the stars - They're awesome up there. Or go stay overnight up by 6Y9 (cabins near the east end of the runway - And be sure to let @Dizaster know you're coming!)

I'm looking forward to seeing the "Kids" ideas - Mine is still under 2 years old, but he LOVES airplanes. We've flown on some longer trips, but generally to get to functions with family and friends, and not day trips centered on him.
Thank you very much!!! These are great ideas. I like having a "mission" (such as eating) when flying. Thanks again!

Boscobel, WI has a very nice courtesy car system(2) if no one is around. Rochelle, IL has a nice restaurant, just a bit SW of Rockford. The easy ones are Janesville and Watertown, just walk to Applebee’s(I think it is).

Even in Burlington, Fred’s Burgers can’t be over a 25 minute walk, should be less.

OMG, I didn't say anything about 3D2!!! :eek:

3D2 (Ehpraim-Gibraltar, in Door County, but the next airport up from Cherryland) is a fantastic example of how a GA airport should be run. There's a "friends of the airport" type group up there that built a small house-like structure on the field that could be slept in in a pinch (not that you're likely to be flying over 3D2 on the way to much of anywhere). Put the CTAF into the lock, go inside and there's keys to a courtesy car. There are also eight courtesy bikes if you want to get around and get some exercise, and there is a whole list of businesses that will come pick you up from the airport if you call them... And those businesses funded the car and bikes too.

It works. The first time I went, I was quite impressed. I went to one of those businesses, the Gibraltar Grill. A guy who looked to be the owner came around and I thanked him for supporting the airport and asked if he was a pilot. "No, but I love the airport." THAT is how it should be, everywhere.

Gibraltar Grill is a good place. We also like the Wild Tomato (pizza), and there's an ice cream place right across from the Wild Tomato if you want dessert. Peninsula State Park is right near the airport as well if you want to grab some bikes and go for a picnic.

Really, a fantastic place to visit!

We just flew into Eau Claire and tried their restaurant (Hangar 54) and I just did a write up.

On my short list for Wisconsin is taking my daughter to the Dells, seeing the Submarine museum in Manitowak and Madeline Island.

KPDC, the Angus Supper Club right across the street from the airport. You won't be disappointed.

If you are comfortable with grass runways come up to 2P2 -- I will be there the from 10/3 through 10/10. (Message me directly for contact info). There is no restaurant at the airport but in all likelihood, the courtesy van will be there for you to drive 10 minutes to a nice place for a meal. The colors are coming on and it's just gorgeous.

I'll be happy to show you around the island as well. On your way up, you can stop at 3D2 as well (you'll have to unless you can refuel in flight).

Back