Looking for the perfect GA airplane.

Mike D has a good point that I forgot to mention. I don't know of any of the canard guys going off grass strips. You'd be rolling the dice IMO. I'd never take the Velocity of one. My nose wheel is actually a go-cart Wheel! Only in experimentals can you pull that off.

Also I agree with Ibold on side by side. I was looking at buying an RV-4 til I flew in one. First is was hot as **** back there! That's something with a lot of homebuilts you'll need to get used too. Either wear a hat or get one of those shades that attach to the canopy. I love the fighter pilot feel of tandem but it's just no good for flying novices, especially if you had a child back there. I like to keep an eye on my pax to make sure they're doing well. Plus it's just so much easier to explain things when they're sitting next to you.

One other thing I forgot to mention is the paint. Not that you'd need to have it painted since you were talking used, but it would be a future consideration. Composites, unless certified, or one of the lancair types have to be painted white. Any other color and the surface just heats up too much causing the resins to gel. For instance the little DA-20 Katana has a spar limitation of 131 degrees. I doubt any ramp I go to would get that hot but ya never know. Some of the guys have had no problems with like a light yellow or blue but any of the dark shades forget it. Stripes are fine if kept to a minimum.

I went flying in my friends RV-7 with the 180 hp IO-360. Great handling and much more cabin room than my Glasair. I do think I have him by a couple knots but not enough to be a factor. As he demonstrated it's a great little aerobatic plane as well. Of course his panel had all the latest Garmin technology and we shot an LPV GPS approach. Even being a tail dragger you have pretty good vis over the nose. Good plane all around.

Back