Looking for small T or $500/mo and under hanger at KVNY Van Nuys, CA

FlyingMonkey

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingMonkey
I have a 1973 Cherokee 180 and am bringing it home to Los Angeles soon. I have reached out to all the listed vendors (on the Van Nuys airport site) at KVNY Van Nuys, CA about a hangar for this plane. There were 2 companies that offer small T hangars for around $450/month but they don't have anything available. Everyone else is $750+/month which in my humble opinion is ridiculous for this kind of plane.

Just wondering if anyone has any good leads on a hangar in the sub $500/mo range at Van Nuys. Any leads on a larger shared hangar? I understand Whiteman has some hangars avail in this range but Van Nuys is about 15-20 minutes closer and very much on my way home from work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Van Nuys is crazy expensive for space. I guess when you biggest and busiest you can charge a premium.

Whiteman has space available I believe and much more reasonable prices..

Call Vista Aviation, I know they have spaces...818-896-6442

Its only two exits down the freeway and often quicker to get to because its not surrounded by major roads that get clogged up with traffic...

Vista's hangars are same - in the $700 range but the county hangars are in my range. I love Whiteman but van nuys is much closer and on my home. If anyone has any leads please let me know!

Everyone else is $750+/month which in my humble opinion is ridiculous for this kind of plane.

I think your opinion is right on the money. Tie the thing outside and enjoy savings worth a strip-and-paint every year.

If you want that "hangary experience", get a 30' U-Stor-It, dump a quart of oil on the floor, put an old sectional on the wall, and sit on your choice of plaid couch while pulling cool ones from a mini fridge and lying about being stationed in Guam and how terrible it was. :D

Tons of U-Stor-Its by VNY, so you can get that authentic "ambience" too.

Well I kind of want the plane clean all the time and not hot in the summer. I'd rather not tie down but $700+/month is silly.

Well I kind of want the plane clean all the time and not hot in the summer. I'd rather not tie down but $700+/month is silly.

at 700/ month the hangar costs the same as good sized note payment!! i would tie it down and put the canvas cover over the cockpit. with the savings i would buy another plane:rofl::rofl::rofl:.

at 700/ month the hangar costs the same as good sized note payment!! i would tie it down and put the canvas cover over the cockpit. with the savings i would buy another plane:rofl::rofl::rofl:.

yeah i just can't believe there is demand for $750/month hangars for general aviation planes, most of which probably cost 50-85K...

You have to remember there are a lot of GA planes worth 2-3x as much as your cherokee, and places like SMO, VNY and CRQ is where they are kept. I'd love to have a hangar at CRQ for my plane, but I just dont see it happening financially. Some people just have money to spend, and the owners of the hangars are happy to take it from them. Obviously they aren't having that much trouble finding those people because most of the hangars are full around here.

yeah i just can't believe there is demand for $750/month hangars for general aviation planes, most of which probably cost 50-85K...

Better start believing it. Personally i'd spend the money for the hangar. Wouldn't like it, but i would. And im sure many other would as well.

I love my plane, but at $750/month, I'd probably have it tied down outside with a cover over it. In 6 years, I could buy a second plane.

Echo the comments about Whiteman Airport. I was a long time Van Nuys Airport flyer. When I compared Van Nuys to Whiteman I found two things: first the hangers are very nice and less expensive at Whiteman, especially the Vista hangers. The county hangers are okay too. I rented one but left because the doors are old and hard to open. Second, you'll put a lot less time on your Hobbs meter waiting to take off. At Whiteman, it's a short taxi and quick take off with very little traffic. Yes, you'll save time on the commute to Van Nuys, but you will more than pay for it in increased costs for the hanger itself and for the time and fuel you burn waiting for all those corporate jets and 172's to get out of the way. Take this from someone who has flown both airports extensively and ended up being a very happy camper at Whiteman!

Last edited:
It seems to me that you grab a good hangar at Whiteman and then put your name on lists over at Van Nuys and wait. When something comes available, you move. If the additional drive time is that big of a deal, then tie down and wait.

The hangar situation at most airports suck, but it is what it is. Hopefully somebody here can point you to somebody that can help. In the mean time, go down to the airport and poke your head in open hangars and ask people. Just like the really good planes often never come on the market when sold, the same is true of hangars too.

Vista's hangars are same - in the $700 range but the county hangars are in my range. I love Whiteman but van nuys is much closer and on my home. If anyone has any leads please let me know!

I guess Vista got wind of the going rate..you are right a T hanger is $700 a month. a year ago my friend got one to store cars for $350 :eek:....

There is a big banner hanging on the fence on the south side advertising space for I think $365 and up..I will get the number next time im over there.

Again I trained at VNY and now drive past it to get to whiteman....the five minutes I spend going to whiteman is more than made up for in the short taxi, and never more than one person in front of you.

Yikes. Around here a T hangar is under $150/mo. Mine is about 140 after tax.

Move to the Midwest and really enjoy the savings. :D

And suffer the winters. Good thing the hangars are cheap, your plane will be seeing a lot of the inside of one there. ;)

Man I would love it if a hangar were $150/month. That's about what a tie-down costs here...

Man I would love it if a hangar were $150/month. That's about what a tie-down costs here...

Yaeh that would be nice!! We don't have it that good in Florida either. I pay just under 400 - but I hear it's more in southern Florida.

And suffer the winters. Good thing the hangars are cheap, your plane will be seeing a lot of the inside of one there. ;)

Nah, they plow in between the hangar rows and you can clear the hangar door out in about 2 minutes of shoveling. Have a remote pre-heater switch set up and you're good to go. Ground ops are your main troubles. Just make sure if you're parked more than a few hours at your destination that you can pre-heat or park in a heated hangar there.

It's really not so bad. Probably helps to be used to the cold.

Sounds like a bargain compared to South Florida. I looked at a T-hangar at KPMP for $1250/month. I was able to find a hangar at North Perry (KHWO) for less. It was a nice hangar at KPMP and did have wifi included. :)

$1250 a month is ridiculous. Do people really keep their $50,000 planes in hangars that cost $1250/month. Just tie it down and buy a new plane every 4 years.... Sheesh!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 1973 Cherokee 180 and am bringing it home to Los Angeles soon. I have reached out to all the listed vendors (on the Van Nuys airport site) at KVNY Van Nuys, CA about a hangar for this plane. There were 2 companies that offer small T hangars for around $450/month but they don't have anything available. Everyone else is $750+/month which in my humble opinion is ridiculous for this kind of plane.

Just wondering if anyone has any good leads on a hangar in the sub $500/mo range at Van Nuys. Any leads on a larger shared hangar? I understand Whiteman has some hangars avail in this range but Van Nuys is about 15-20 minutes closer and very much on my way home from work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

As a short term option, try Oxnard airport - small T is $220 per month then take your time finding a closer location and hopefully better price.

Van Nuys has mellow weather. Get a tie down that faces NE and wax every 3 months with Collenite Insulator Wax.

$1250 a month is ridiculous. Do people really keep their $50,000 planes in hangars that cost $1250/month. Just tie it down and buy a new plane every 4 years.... Sheesh!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alot of people down here have planes worth several hundred thousand - not 50 thousand...

Van Nuys has mellow weather. Get a tie down that faces NE and wax every 3 months with Collenite Insulator Wax.

I would argue that weather is not mellow at Van Nuys. It is searing hot in the summer, and planes bake away...eats up plastic windows, and even with protectors in the windows, it's so hot it's not good for avionics. Paint and decals also fade fast.

Park outside at KVNY if you don't care about cosmetics.

No, there are no blizzards. But I invite you to look at the exterior or interior of any plane that has been outside for more than 2 years at Van Nuys. Besides the heat, the air is not the cleanest around...all bad news for a plane!

Here they are $75. Bifold electric door, concrete floor, electricity included.

I would argue that weather is not mellow at Van Nuys. It is searing hot in the summer, and planes bake away...eats up plastic windows, and even with protectors in the windows, it's so hot it's not good for avionics. Paint and decals also fade fast.

Park outside at KVNY if you don't care about cosmetics.

No, there are no blizzards. But I invite you to look at the exterior or interior of any plane that has been outside for more than 2 years at Van Nuys. Besides the heat, the air is not the cleanest around...all bad news for a plane!

At $5000+ a year for a hangar, and an AwlGrip paint job lasting 11 years in brutal unprotected conditions at sea, you'll still be money ahead there. Avionics is an issue, but still I don't think it will cost more than a hangar. I don't disagree that a hangar is preferable, but sometimes it's just not feasible, especially for an old Cherokee.

At $5000+ a year for a hangar, and an AwlGrip paint job lasting 11 years in brutal unprotected conditions at sea, you'll still be money ahead there. Avionics is an issue, but still I don't think it will cost more than a hangar. I don't disagree that a hangar is preferable, but sometimes it's just not feasible, especially for an old Cherokee.

Different strokes...

For me, an important part of the experience is a clean, protected plane. I introduce a lot of people to flying even though I'm not a CFI (yet). I instill confidence by verbally explaining everything I'm doing and presenting a plane that looks new even though it's 10 years old.

I enjoy it and they enjoy it.

For me, hopping in a plane that sits outside at Van Nuys with crispy plastic, faded paint, and hotter than hell to get inside seriously degrades the experience. I respect that not everyone feels this way and respect those who feel this way but can't afford it and fly anyway.

It's all good. To each his or her own.

Oh please, it's a bloody rare day in Van Nuys it's that hot. So Cal is far from being a hot place.

Van Nuys isn't that far from here. I did all my PPL training in the middle of summer. Was it a bit warm in the plane? On the ground taxiing, yes. Otherwise not so bad. We're not talking about death valley here. All the planes I fly are on tie downs, and some are older than others, but most of them have been there a long time and dont look that bad. Getting an actual cover is a good investment though. Sunshades on the inside do nothing for your windows, but a canvas cover over all of them will do a lot. I've never had a plane so hot inside it was unbearable when I pulled the cover off.

A good cabin cover and wax 4 times a year goes a long way. More planes live outside than in hangars. A hangar is preferable for sure, but some markets it's just not feasible.

Good advice in this thread thank you!

Back