Looking for reviews of local flying schools (Memphis)

Cerebus

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Cerebus
I'm preparing to start working on my PPL, and the two closest schools to me here in the Memphis area are Downtown Aviation and Air Venture.

I've heard a lot about Downtown Aviation, most of which is good. As they are no longer located at KOLV, I'd have to drive to reach them, but if they continue to come highly recommended, the drive would be secondary to getting a good flying education. I've toured their facility at Dewitt and flown a discovery flight with them and was impressed with the facility and the instructor who flew with me on the flight.

However, I've hardly heard anything about Air Venture. I've also toured their facility and taken a discovery flight with them, and they seemed like a good school, but I'm hoping I can get some feedback from people who actually have experience with them, either themselves through the training process or immediate friends / family and their experiences with them.

I appreciate anyone's response, and thank you.

From @James331 ....

"Remember it's the individual CFI that will matter the most in your training, not the name of the school or if you learn in a 172 or a PA28 or whatever, ask around, on this forum as well, and seek out the best CFI you can find."
So asking for details on the school is an important step. But more important is the instructor you choose learn from.

In addition to PoA and other web forums, look for an active Facebook group for the Memphis area. DFW has one and it has been extremely helpful in helping local aviators find the information or resources they need.

So asking for details on the school is an important step. But more important is the instructor you choose learn from.

Right, and that is something that is important to me; however, how does one do that without getting a feel for the school and its instructors first? Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way... which is why I'm here asking questions. :)

And thank you for your comment!

From @James331 ....

"Remember it's the individual CFI that will matter the most in your training, not the name of the school or if you learn in a 172 or a PA28 or whatever, ask around, on this forum as well, and seek out the best CFI you can find."

In addition to PoA and other web forums, look for an active Facebook group for the Memphis area. DFW has one and it has been extremely helpful in helping local aviators find the information or resources they need.

That!

As much as I don't like facebook, There are some really good aviation groups for some areas.

I lived in the Memphis area for a little over two years between 2011 & 2013. I was already certificated when I moved there so I mostly just rented and did so from both places. Both had good planes and good people.

At the time Downtown was located at both M01 and OLV. Did they close the OLV location? I did rent from Downtown more than I did Airventure but that was more due to the fact that I built some good relationships with a few of their personnel. They were just more of a better fit personality wise for me.

I did get my tail wheel endorsement from Morris Ray at Downtown in his Decathlon. I also did a little acro with him in the Decathlon and also got a wee bit of stick time in his T-6. He is the only instructor from either school that I spent anytime with beyond just a type checkout. He’s great but I’m not sure if he’s still there or not. So I can’t speak to either’s instructional staff as a whole especially since it’s been 5 years.

Between the two airports, I enjoyed flying from M01 more than OLV. M01 plus Downtown’s staff has more of an old fashioned small GA airport feel to it. Airventure has a slight corporate feel to it. Nothing wrong with either but I prefer the former.

I recall that at the time Downtown was slightly cheaper but I don’t know if that’s still the case.

If things today are the same or close to what it was five years ago, I’d give the nod to Downtown.

Right, and that is something that is important to me; however, how does one do that without getting a feel for the school and its instructors first? Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way... which is why I'm here asking questions. :)

And thank you for your comment!
Asking the locals "Who is the best primary instructor" is a good start.

On the DFW facebook group, that question turns up eight to ten of the same names each time it's asked.

Perhaps you would have similar results for Memphis.

Back