Looking for private instructor with the plane in Atlanta GA

SFLafayette

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SFLafayette
Hey guys, I finally decided to drop the hammer and start taking flight lessons. Talking to a few guys, I was told that it would be cheaper if I can find a private instructor with his own plane or with access to a plane.
I live in Alpharetta, so if you know anyone who lives and practices in the north Atlanta metro area, please let me know.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I’m not sure how that would be cheaper, but best of luck to you! We have several members from the Atlanta area here, who might be able to point you in the right direction.

If I were a CFI (which I'm not), I would never allow a student pilot to use my airplane. The insurance would be outlandish. You may want to find a club with instructors.

If I were a CFI (which I'm not), I would never allow a student pilot to use my airplane. The insurance would be outlandish. You may want to find a club with instructors.

Some of us chose to do it, though.

To the OP, Cheaper per hour is not everything. If something breaks and the owner doesn’t have the money to fix what broke fast at a shop, or just has issues getting it repaired quickly, the resulting delay in your training may actually cost you a lot of money playing catch-up.

For primary training I typically encourage people to go somewhere where there are at least two of the same type of airplane that you will be using… unless you are buying your own airplane and hiring a private instructor to work in your bird.

Another independent instructor and I bought a 172 in April to do exactly what the OP describes. We’re at Covington on the east side of Atlanta KCVC. For now we charge $125 per hour wet for the plane. It’s in a hangar in excellent shape and avionics include a 530W.

Another independent instructor and I bought a 172 in April to do exactly what the OP describes. We’re at Covington on the east side of Atlanta KCVC. For now we charge $125 per hour wet for the plane. It’s in a hangar in excellent shape and avionics include a 530W.
$125/wet is a good deal for a major metro area.

Hey guys, I finally decided to drop the hammer and start taking flight lessons. Talking to a few guys, I was told that it would be cheaper if I can find a private instructor with his own plane or with access to a plane.
If you know anyone who lives and practices in Atlanta metro area, please let me know.

Thank you.

What part of Atlanta? It's a big area with a lot of traffic. Long travel to/from the airport will get to be annoying. Several of us here on POA are in thr metro area. We can give you better suggestions if we know which airports are closer to you.

With options I'd pick a place with multiple trainer planes. Easier to get on the schedule. Plan well and you can get more flights in; many people don't plan well.

What's "cheaper" is to prep well and fly regularly. You will "waste" less time figuring things out in the plane that you should have learned on the ground and spend less time relearning things.

An more expensive instructor that you mesh well could easily be "cheaper" than a less expensive instructor that you don't mesh well with. Look for value, not price.

Wayne

I am in Alpharetta. Which airport do you use and do you take new students? What is the best way to contact you?

Some of us chose to do it, though.

… unless you are buying your own airplane and hiring a private instructor to work in your bird.

This is what I did. That route was cheaper than a school...sort of

Back