Looking For Pre-buy in Vancouver

Bigmikeh24

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bigmikeh24
I think I found a plane to buy but it’s based in Vancouver, BC. I’m in California.

Just arranging the ability to look at it has been very challenging since I can’t travel to Canada. I’m having the plane ferried to Seattle but waiting for a weather window....:frown:

In the meantime, if I decide to buy the plane, I need a decent shop close by CYNJ to do the pre-buy. Does anyone know of a decent shop or mechanic that they would trust to do the inspection?
The plane is based at Langley Field CYNJ.

I need a decent shop close by CYNJ to do the pre-buy.
FYI: Is the plane C or N reg? Sometimes best to look for a shop or APIA and DAR who can do it all (if you purchase) to perform the prebuy. If C reg will also need a CoA Export, Re-register, and in some/most cases a 100hr/annual for the CoA.

Last edited:
FYI: Is the plane C or N reg? If C reg will also need a CoA Export, Re-register, and in some/most cases a 100hr/annual for the CoA. If decide to buy, best to look for a shop or APIA and DAR who can do it all.
No not for just a pre-buy inspection.
the options are return the aircraft to BC. or do all the paper work in the US.

I could do this Pre-buy at BVS, really short hop.

what aircraft are you looking at?'

FYI: Is the plane C or N reg?
what difference does it matter?

he wants some one to do an inspection.
What if it is a P-A-Shi, and the sale does't happen?

one thing at a time.

FYI: Is the plane C or N reg? Sometimes best to look for a shop or APIA and DAR who can do it all (if you purchase) to perform the prebuy. If C reg will also need a CoA Export, Re-register, and in some/most cases a 100hr/annual for the CoA.
what would be the first question you'd ask?

If C reg will also need a CoA Export,
Not true,,, When you de-resister a Canadian aircraft they don't care. and that is the first thing that must happen.. the FAA will not do anything until the aircraft is out of Canadian registration.
Then the FAA can apply the N - number .

If I were doing this, after the sale happens, before anything I'd move the aircraft to CA. where the new owners is.. simply because of the time required to do the FAA/C paper work.
OBTW,, I'm doing one now, it take 3 weeks for the Transport Canada to get a response.

Not true,,, When you de-resister a Canadian aircraft they don't care. and that is the first thing that must happen.. the FAA will not do anything until the aircraft is out of Canadian registration.
Then the FAA can apply the N - number .

If I were doing this, after the sale happens, before anything I'd move the aircraft to CA. where the new owners is.. simply because of the time required to do the FAA/C paper work.
OBTW,, I'm doing one now, it take 3 weeks for the Transport Canada to get a response.

Your statement of the CofA for Export being unnecessary is as untrue as Bell’s statement that it is necessary is.

As with all things aviation, it depends. We don’t know what the airplane is or where it has been in it’s life. It may or may not need one. This is why it is important to get someone knowledgeable with imports involved early on. I’d say the prebuy would be the appropriate time to be doing that because there are some circumstances that may make an import very time consuming and challenging, to the point that finding a different airplane may be easier and cheaper.

Your statement of the CofA for Export being unnecessary is as untrue as Bell’s statement that it is necessary is.

As with all things aviation, it depends. We don’t know what the airplane is or where it has been in it’s life. It may or may not need one. This is why it is important to get someone knowledgeable with imports involved early on. I’d say the prebuy would be the appropriate time to be doing that because there are some circumstances that may make an import very time consuming and challenging, to the point that finding a different airplane may be easier and cheaper.
You are not selling an aircraft in Canada.
think about it..
If the aircraft is de-registered what numbers are you going to place in the application?

And of course you certainly would do a pre-buy.

Last edited:
I’d say the prebuy would be the appropriate time to be doing that because there are some circumstances that may make an import very time consuming and challenging, to the point that finding a different airplane may be easier and cheaper.
that is that whole point of doing the inspection

You are not selling an aircraft in Canada.
think about it..
If the aircraft is de-registered what numbers are you going to place in the application?

And of course you certainly would do a pre-buy.

Tom, it is clear that you’ve never imported a TCd airplane that was manufactured in another country and has never been in the US...

Tom, it is clear that you’ve never imported a TCd airplane that was manufactured in another country and has never been in the US...
how do you know the aircraft was manufactured in another country.

Not true,,, When you de-resister a Canadian aircraft they don't care.
Without derailing the OPs thread any further, while a CoA Export is not mandatory for used aircraft into the US it is always recommended. My answers were in general to the general question in the OP. And as Mondtster implied, there are situations that can take a simple aircraft import measured in days to a goat rope measured in months or over a year. Having a signed CoA Export in hand from the export CAA, in this case the TCCA, tends to prevent those issues at the beginning.
what would be the first question you'd ask?
How's the weather, eh?

Last edited:
Once again the BS getting thick, we know nothing thing about the aircraft other that the OP wants a Pre-buy..
all other contains of this thread is conjecture. = BS.

Without derailing the OPs thread any further, while a CoA Export is not mandatory for used aircraft into the US it is always recommended.
Thank You :)

We don’t, which was my whole point.
The point should be.. we should not making up shi= until we know.
When we off half cocked, we get a mis-fire.

And as Mondster implied, there are situations that can take a simple aircraft import measured in days to a goat rope measured in months or over a year. Having a signed CoA Export in hand from the export CAA, in this case the TCCA, tends to prevent those issues at the beginning.

The last one I did took over a year to get finalized due to mods that required field approvals. It probably wouldn’t have taken as long if the government hadn’t been shut down for a while too.

The current one is taking over a year due to covid, but I think that will go quick once it makes it here since it isn’t heavily modified.

Hopefully whomever the OP chooses for a prebuy is knowledgeable with imports, a lot of headaches can be avoided early on if the right people are involved.

Without derailing the OPs thread any further, while a CoA Export is not mandatory for used aircraft into the US it is always recommended. My answers were in general to the general question in the OP. And as Mondster implied, there are situations that can take a simple aircraft import measured in days to a goat rope measured in months or over a year. Having a signed CoA Export in hand from the export CAA, in this case the TCCA, tends to prevent those issues at the beginning.

How's the weather, eh?
not really, the first question should be can this aircraft be imported. there are a lot of Pipers that can't.

, a lot of headaches can be avoided early on if the right people are involved.
Simply get a subscription for ADlog.Com and start from there.
remember all service bulletins are required to be complied in Canada.
It is actually easier to bring one down, that take one up.

Guys, calm down....
I should have given more information on the 1st post. The plane is a C-182Q. It was in the US originally. Was registered in Canada around 2012.

I want to see the plane and do a test flight 1st. I can’t get into Canada unless I quarantine for 14 days once I get there. The best option is to have the plane ferried to the US. I can fly in and take a look at it. The ferry pilot can take the plane back when I’m done looking at it. If I like what I see, I’ll work out a deal with the owners. Then I’ll have the prebuy done at the owners location or somewhere close by in Canada . If that all works out, I’ll work out the import issues.

My research leads me to believe I can get the plane to my home base and have it sit while all the deregistration and registration inspections and paperwork is done while I walk around it and kick the tires for a couple months.

I would be curious if the n number still is available in the FAA records.

Then I’ll have the prebuy done at the owners location or somewhere close by in Canada . If that all works out, I’ll work out the import issues.
The whole intent of my comments, and I believe Mondtsters, was that on aircraft that require an import process you should have the import requirements looked at by knowledgeable people during the prebuy rather than afterwards . In my experience, waiting till the aircraft is at your home base to address the import process/issues can lead to unsuspected consequences. Good luck.

Last edited:
The whole intent of my comments, and I believe Mondtsters, was that on aircraft that require an import process you should have the import requirements looked at by knowledgeable people during the prebuy rather than afterwards . In my experience, waiting till the aircraft is at your home base to address the import process/issues can lead to unsuspected consequences. Good luck.

Got it. I’ll add that to the list.

Which brings me back to my original question:

Does anyone know of a shop or a mechanic that they KNOW AND TRUST to do a prebuy inspection on an airplane located at Langley Field in Vancouver, BC?

I'm doing one now, it take 3 weeks for the Transport Canada to get a response.
Yes, I live in Ottawa and can confirm that almost everyone in the civil service, including a friend at TC (not in civil aviation), is working from home during the pandemic. That slows things down a bit, but they're all doing their best.

I live right near there, but don't know the first thing about a pre buy... I saw that ad, it looks like a nice bird. Hope it works out for you.

Back