Looking for opinions, thought I would find some here...

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
My plane is due for annual 31 July. The mechanic is at another airport. I want to fly until my wife has shoulder surgery in mid-July. After that I will be taking care of her for about six weeks. Then, I will be attending my brother's wedding and college reunion the first two weekends in Sep-both are out of state.

Do I:

a. Get it done in early July and let it sit for a couple of months so I have it on the off chance I get to fly
b. Fly it, change the oil and then let it sit until I can get a ferry permit in Sep.
c. Fly it to the other airport, change the oil, and let it sit until Sep, then get the annual

I will neither sell it to you nor get a new wife.

My plane is due for annual 31 July. The mechanic is at another airport. I want to fly until my wife has shoulder surgery in mid-July. After that I will be taking care of her for about six weeks. Then, I will be attending my brother's wedding and college reunion the first two weekends in Sep-both are out of state.

Do I:

a. Get it done in early July and let it sit for a couple of months so I have it on the off chance I get to fly
b. Fly it, change the oil and then let it sit until I can get a ferry permit in Sep.
c. Fly it to the other airport, change the oil, and let it sit until Sep, then get the annual

a. You may have a chance to fly. Your wife may be looking for a new husband. It may be your brother. His stood up bride to be may want to go for a ride.

What @EdFred said. Fly until late July. Why is this even a question? Seems pretty obvious to me.

That severely limits your options. ;)

Best wishes to your wife. I hope all goes well.

If I understand the situation, I’d fly it until just before the surgery, take it to the mechanic at the other airport for annual, make a reposition flight back home after the annual is done, fly when able.

Keep flying it until the wife gets shoulder surgery and then drop the airplane off with mechanic so it can be in annual during your downtime and ready to fly when you’re done. Is that not an option?

Might as well utilize the downtime doing something productive... at-least that’s how I look at it.

Fly it to the mechanic while your wife is in surgery. It’s not like you need to be in the OR anyway. Then retrieve it in the days afterward when she’s still doped up on Percocet and won’t know the difference.

You’re making this too hard.

I guess my real issue that I failed to mention is I like to be there for the annual and the mechanic is OK with that.

Unless the mechanic is a couple days away, your wife two weeks after surgery should be just fine alone for a few hours. Plan on taking the plane to the mechanic on July 29th (leaving two days for weather issues). Let him do the annual, and then pick it up when you get a chance.

Basically, you get a choice. Help with the annual or take care of your wife. Pick one.

Tim

Drop your wife off with the mechanic following the surgery and you take a couple of the nurses up for a discovery flight.

...I will neither sell it to you nor get a new wife.

Keep the plane, and sell the wife (But not to me; I can't afford the one I already have).

What @EdFred said. Fly until late July. Why is this even a question? Seems pretty obvious to me.

:yeahthat:

Seems simple. You are "grounded" while your wife is recovering. Perfect timing for the airplane to be grounded for its annual.

Last edited:
Back