Looking for o-ring part number

Darryl Snover

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ProtoFly
Continental io-360 on a Cessna 172, has an oil sump drain valve, with markings 71C-3H, S1964-4. There's an o-ring on that seals it, and in my case, the o-ring has seen better days (well, decades...). Does anyone have the part number for the o-ring? My A&P wants the 'correct' part number, and doesn't want to guess which o-ring it is. My google skills are apparently lacking, as I can't find a part number for just the o-ring....

Continental io-360 on a Cessna 172, has an oil sump drain valve, with markings 71C-3H, S1964-4. There's an o-ring on that seals it, and in my case, the o-ring has seen better days (well, decades...). Does anyone have the part number for the o-ring? My A&P wants the 'correct' part number, and doesn't want to guess which o-ring it is. My google skills are apparently lacking, as I can't find a part number for just the o-ring....

Sometimes those sump valves use proprietary o-rings with non-standard dimensions and rubber compounds. If that is the case, might be easier to just get a new valve. They aren't very expensive as airplane parts go.

Sometimes those sump valves use proprietary o-rings with non-standard dimensions and rubber compounds. If that is the case, might be easier to just get a new valve. They aren't very expensive as airplane parts go.
Aircraft Spruce sells the Saf-Air valves, and they stock the parts for them too.

If it is decades old I would install a new drain valve with fresh o rings if that what they still use to seal it.

I've got a P5000 Saf-Air valve on my Lycoming, their website even has a table of the standard o-ring part numbers that fit each valve.

Thanks for the answers. I'll see if the owner will go for a new Saf-Air valve. The original is unavailable new, at least at any kind of reasonable price.

as I can't find a part number for just the o-ring....
I've never seen OEM replacement orings offered for that original quick-drain. However, you can match them but that is not what you want. Regardless, as mentioned, I'd usually recommend installing a valve assy that does offer replacement seals.

Back