Looking for local (Exton, PA/Somerville, NJ) plane owners to show and tell me about their planes.

apr911

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
apr911
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a plane. After yet another waste of time and money on a rental currency checkout due to FBO specific currency requirements instead of flying the mission or flying the mission I want in slow airplanes that take forever to fly or having to shorten my mission to accommodate scheduling or avoid pricey minimum hour fees or cancel my mission due to the whimsical FBO owner deciding they want to go home for the day rather than take another paying customer so they're going to cancel a rated pilots rental due to "high crosswinds" with a 10 kt wind gusting to 15 at <30 degrees off center line, I've decided its finally time to stop renting.

Recently I've been looking at the Bellanca Super Viking (wood spar, I know). I did tailwheel training in a Bellanca Citabria & Super Decathalon and really enjoyed the flight characteristics. While they are a bit more aerobatic than the Viking, I've heard the Viking is very similarly light in the controls. Plus I've done my research and everything I've read about them suggests they are great planes that are under appreciated because of the marketing geniuses that have convinced people that metal is in some way better that wood and can often be found at a discount to comparable all metal airframes such as the Mooney.

The Viking seems to check the boxes I want: fast, responsive, solid useful load and endurance with 4 seats. It also checks the complex box which I'm not particular on. The only boxes I'm not sure on is the fuel efficiency and other fixed costs comparable to other planes. Which along those lines I go back to the need for a complex; I'd like to own a complex but I dont need to own a complex. The associated risks, higher maintenance and higher insurance costs are naturally detractors but there are only a few fixed gear planes that can match the speeds and usually at the cost of higher fuel burn so it becomes an equation of higher operating cost per hour vs a higher fixed price per year. I dont expect maintenance costs to be significantly higher than another complex aircraft though, especially if I go to someone who knows Vikings and I know one of the foremost Bellanca mechanics out there is based right around the corner from me in KPTW.

I dont know if I'll fly enough to offset the difference in fixed costs against the difference in operational cost, I've only done 25-to-30 or so hours so far in 2017 but that's more due to me trying to save for up for a plane than a time or desire consideration and in 2016 I was tracking 7-8 hours per month in the first 6 months before a job change and the costs associated with a cross-country move dried up the "fun" budget and I eeked out only 2.5 hours a month in the last half of the year. 2015 was my big flying year with 85 hours total and it easily could have been more if I had my instrument rating at the time (SoCal weather is great but not always perfect) and didn't have to worry about schedule/overnight minimums plus I am looking at going into it with a partner who is looking at doing their IFR training in the plane (particularly if I get off my rear and actually do my CFI/CFII) so I am going to assume between the 2 of us, with the ability to do longer cross-countries to more desirable places, we'll come out ahead.

My biggest issue holding me back from buying is that I've never flown or sat in a Viking or Mooney or... well, even though I've flown a wider variety of planes than many renter pilots out there, there's still a much larger list of planes I haven't flown or sat in than the list of those I have.

I've heard comments about Mooney's for example that they're cramped but having never been in one, I cant say from first hand experience what I think so I take that with a grain of salt. Everyone's preferences are different and there are numerous times in the past when I've been told by others I would or wouldnt like XYZ thing and then found quite the opposite and that I hated or loved it. Even when people have guessed correctly, I have found its often times for completely different reasons than the other person would have guessed.

So this is a call out to pilots, owners and those with access to a variety of planes in the areas of Somerville, NJ or Exton, PA (depending on the week closest airports to me are 47N, N51, KSMQ, KOQN and KMQS). I'm hoping you'll at least let me come checkout your plane(s) and sit in the cockpit myself, maybe even go for a shared ride.

I'm trying to get a good idea of what planes I like and dont like so I can narrow my search. While the Viking is my current front runner, I am open to other options and board recommendations. Other planes I've looked at include: Cherokee 6, Comanche, PA28 Dakota/Pathfinder, PA28R Arrow, Cessna C172RG Cutlass, Mooney M20, Bonanza E35 (and other Bonanza varients), Grumman AA-5B Tiger, etc. I've sat and/or flown in some of these but not others.

Thanks!
APR911

P.S. I'm also looking for a safety pilot to do some approaches with to help keep my instrument rating current. I currently have privileges in the Piper Arrow owned by Tri-State at 47N and Chester County Aviation at KMQS. I am also now (re)current in Solberg's (N51) C172SP (N409LP) and current in the trike planes at Brandywine (KOQN).

Last edited:
What's an acc?

Typo. I started typing the thread (and title) thinking one thing and then went in a different direction with it but never went back to fix the title. All fixed now though.

The Viking sure looks like a nice plane. Only one door, that's a deal breaker for me.

I've gotten used to one door flying Pipers around (and the Citabria). I miss the second door every now and again but the 1 door works well enough. Of course the Grumman AA-5 Tiger with its cockpit canopy door is the easiest aircraft to get in and out of that I've ever flown, except when it rains... then its a royal pain.

No one will ever accuse a BSV (slang for "Bellanca Super Viking") of being excessively large in the cabin, but once you're in, it is a very comfortable ride, and it is the most delightful light touch on the controls. You needn't fret about the wood - a properly-maintained BSV will be considerably stronger than an aluminum structure, and wood (unlike aluminum) does not weaken from repetitive stress.

apr--you should check into the NJ Mooney Pilots. They have people bsed at several of the airports on your list.

Happy hunting!

No one will ever accuse a BSV (slang for "Bellanca Super Viking") of being excessively large in the cabin, but once you're in, it is a very comfortable ride, and it is the most delightful light touch on the controls. You needn't fret about the wood - a properly-maintained BSV will be considerably stronger than an aluminum structure, and wood (unlike aluminum) does not weaken from repetitive stress.

I dont know of many normally aspirated singles that would fit the description of "excessively large cabin" but I would like to be able to fly in comfort while actually being able to take more than 1 or 2 passengers comfortably too.

I'm looking for somewhere between airline pax tight and a coupe styled car that also comes in a sedan (i.e. no 2 seaters or 2 seaters in disguise). Personally, I drive a 2013 Honda Accord Coupe; its not huge and the space between the front seat and backseat is tight but its still comfortable and there is a veritable ocean of space between passengers in a given row... The car could easily fit 6 adults comfortably if it were like cars of old and had all bench seating (albeit not legally due to seatbelts).

I of course realize I'm not going to find something that matches my 6 foot wide car given the typical GA plane is only 3-4 feet wide. I also realize size is very subjective. I dont know why Mooney's have a reputation for being cramped having never been in one myself but its an opinion I've heard expressed repeatedly yet the Mooney has more "room" than many of the planes it's often compared to (Piper Arrows/Comanches, Bonanzas, C182s, etc); apparently, it just feels cramped.

I mean if Cessna extended the 152 just enough to add a back row like in many convertibles or 2 seat sports cars disguised as a 4 seater for insurance purposes without making it any wider and overlooking the aerodynamics, slapped a big honkin engine out front to provide enough useful load to actually put 4 people in the seats and give it enough speed to match the Bellanca or Mooney's ability to get places, would you still load it up? It certainly wouldn't be comfortable practically sitting on each other's laps for an hour or more...

While it doesnt have quite enough useful load for 4 people or the speed of a Mooney or BSV, that's basically what they did for the 172. They did at least make make it longer than strictly needed for that extra row but the spec sheet says they didnt really make it any wider and its the 6" gap between front seats and additional head room that makes it feel so much roomier to the 152 as you're not sitting in each other's lap and could move around a bit without invading the personal space of your passenger. Cessna did it again for the 182 and R182 which feels roomier still yet the 182 fuselage is only 42" wide total which is 2" less than the Mooney.

apr--you should check into the NJ Mooney Pilots. They have people bsed at several of the airports on your list.

Happy hunting!

I'll definitely be looking them up thanks for the pointer!

For a Mooney if you can't find one otherwise, Ace Pilot Training up at ABE used to have one or two on the rental line. Give Gus a ring and see if they still do.

Back