Looking for L 29 Pilots - Demo Team Forming

Dave-RedDragon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dave-RedDragon
Hello my name is Dave

I am the Operations Director who is helping to form a L-29 Demonstration team.

We have 4 operational jets and are seeking 2-3 more pilots interested in a paid position with our team.

We have an airshow already scheduled Oct 1st-6th 2016

Please advise if you are interested in more information regarding this opportunity and you are welcome to call me directly.

Thank you,

Dave

I will check...how much time do you have in the L-29?

Just for some added clarity...formation flying will NOT be complex maneuvers as much as some basic routine diamond formation show passes. Audience has never seen anything like this so do not have a reference to compare to Blue Angel or the like. This is an historical event being held in Northern China to celebrate aviation expansion. It is a BIG deal and will allow pilots to be part of this very historical moment in time. Brand new airport in Alxa! We have the L-29's...you will be paid very well to fly in the show and all expenses paid. Chief pilot has over 200 hours in the L-29 and has designed a well suited flight performance for this event. There will be a production company filming and documenting this historical event so come be a part of it.

Even though it'll be in China, will American airshow standards be followed? Would you be able to put on an identical performance with the same pilots here?

Even though it'll be in China, will American airshow standards be followed? Would you be able to put on an identical performance with the same pilots here?
Yes, ateamer safety first...not interested in any other way.

This whole gig sounds totally flakey. Vodochodny pilots usually know each other and it's pretty weird somebody comes out of the blue, on a forum, looking for a bunch of pilots. If they have a bunch of planes I'd be really surprised, sounds like another chinese bullsh*t routine.
Easy flyingriki...all 4 jets are sitting right here at the Hemet Ryan airport and you're welcome to fly out and see them. Now, let me get back to the constructive conversation.

Impressive!
Thanks GlennAB1 - yeah Doug has all 4 jets here at the Hemet Ryan airport and we see them routinely flying. He accepted this invitation but he can only fly one ;-) - we already have one other pilot and seek 2-3 more. It will be a fun trip for sure.

There is a guy at Rowan county airport in NC with a beautifully restored L-29. I can't recall his name but the airport is KRUQ. Ex American Airline pilot.

There is a guy at Rowan county airport in NC with a beautifully restored L-29. I can't recall his name but the airport is KRUQ. Ex American Airline pilot.
Thanks Grum.Man - appreciate the tip...will try and reach out to him.

Just called the Rowan airport...they are going to ask around...and hopefully get a name and number for me. Thanks again! We might even be interested in buying his jet if we wants to sell it.

Last edited:
Only 1.5 unfortunately. All doing unusual attitude and upset training for an Eclipse job, which never came about.
Thanks for that honest answer. If I am able to put together a 10 day enhanced training campaign with our flight leader (not sure yet if he can or will) BUT, are you willing and able to come to Hemet, CA sometime within the next week or so?

That's a hell of a ferry flight in a L29. Bring lots of fuel.

and you probably tried jetwarbird training center ksaf.
Well, if you can't get anyone else I suppose I could break free.
:D

and you probably tried jetwarbird training center ksaf.
Well, if you can't get anyone else I suppose I could break free.
:D
Thanks for tipping your hat. Can we arrange a phone chat and if you could provide a bit of your time spent in the L29 that would be appreciated. Can you provide a number and the best time to give you a call?

Thanks for that honest answer. If I am able to put together a 10 day enhanced training campaign with our flight leader (not sure yet if he can or will) BUT, are you willing and able to come to Hemet, CA sometime within the next week or so?

I only have 1.5 hours less than Zeldman, and I have time next week to go to CA.

If I was closer, and had ANY L-29 time, I'd be all over that!

Actually, I am closer, but I'll be working during that period. Still don't have any L-29 time.

Thanks Grum.Man - appreciate the tip...will try and reach out to him.

Just called the Rowan airport...they are going to ask around...and hopefully get a name and number for me. Thanks again! We might even be interested in buying his jet if we wants to sell it.
My mistake, his is an l-39 not 29. Should have googled it first.

Okay, anybody wonder why nothing mentioned here?

https://classicjets.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

Volunteered with an L-39 group for a couple years. They all know each other. There was an L-39 guy somewhere in SoCal that was a known flake. The FAA finaly got him after some ugly things happened. This sounds a lot like that. Who buys a bunch of Vodochodny aircraft and then ignores the L-29 forums and looks for pilots to go to China (!) on a general forum where, supposed, pilots talk more about their prostates and dog's poop habits then flying? Laugh all you want. This is going to turn out as weird as it seems....

Speaking with Doug our Flight Boss today, he wanted me to emphasize this trip is going to be formation flying only. No aerobatics, just a series of show passes to an audience who's never before seen jets like these up close. Keep in mind...the average Chinese child has only seen occasional military aircraft on patrol. To witness an up close view of a demo team would be very special. So again, a historical show.

Okay, anybody wonder why nothing mentioned here?

https://classicjets.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

Volunteered with an L-39 group for a couple years. They all know each other. There was an L-39 guy somewhere in SoCal that was a known flake. The FAA finaly got him after some ugly things happened. This sounds a lot like that. Who buys a bunch of Vodochodny aircraft and then ignores the L-29 forums and looks for pilots to go to China (!) on a general forum where, supposed, pilots talk more about their prostates and dog's poop habits then flying? Laugh all you want. This is going to turn out as weird as it seems....
Hey flyingriki - First let me thank you for the referred site link...it's about the only positive contribution you've been able to make thus far...and at that, you've managed to insult my attempt to promote an aircraft (L29) you seemingly hold high regard for. You've also succeeded in insulting others on this forum with your rude comments. "They say everyone is good at something, even if it's being a bad example" So please, move on and let some people get something accomplished that is meaningful and positive.

Based in Hemet-Ryan and the contact is an AZ area code. Would one be calling someone near KDVT?

Based in Hemet-Ryan and the contact is an AZ area code. Would one be calling someone near KDVT?
480-220 is a Verizon Wireless exchange out of Phoenix ZIP 85021. That ZIP Code is ~ 8 miles from DVT's ZIP but, since it is a wireless exchange, that doesn't mean much...

The jets are currently based at the Hemet Ryan airport. My cell is AZ as I lived there before going FT in motorhome. I am currently near the Hemet area organizing this trip for the owner of the jets. Do you have time in the L29? If so, how many hours?

Last edited:
Hemet was one of my stops on my private cross country and also where I did my AMEL checkride.

And I think you can see three of them sitting on the ramp on google earth.

Think I see 2 of 'em, next to one another? I like the OV-10 Bronco, I guess Forestry Service? A couple of what looks like S-2 Trackers too I think.

Cal Fire. They have S-2T air tankers and OV-10 air attack (comand and control - they direct the airborne attack on the fire). Each base has two tankers and one air attack.

Back