Looking for KDED advice.

Doug F

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DougG
I'll be taking my first long distance XC late August from KGVL to KDED with an arrival time of about noon. I'd like to arrive looking like I know how the locals do things so any advice is appreciated. I'll be coming in from the north in an LSA. I have a copy of the noise abatement procedure and have (at least) 3 questions.

1. Assume I'm landing 5 (preferred in light winds). I'm not supposed to overfly any portion of the field so is the downwind leg run fairly wide and north of the airfield (looks like about 1.8 miles off the center of the airport)?
2. If I am to land 23, how do most southbound aircraft get from the north side of the field to the 45 entry point for 23? What is a typical altitude and path?
3. Any other pointers or tips?

I'm looking forward to taking my parents and sister up for some sightseeing. I'm planning to shoot north to Palatka along the St. John's then east toward Flagler for a short trip down the beach, then back inland and to KDED. Looks like about flight time of a bit over an hour.

Thanks in advance.

I'll be taking my first long distance XC late August from KGVL to KDED with an arrival time of about noon. I'd like to arrive looking like I know how the locals do things so any advice is appreciated. I'll be coming in from the north in an LSA. I have a copy of the noise abatement procedure and have (at least) 3 questions.
Ded reckoning to KDED?
1. Assume I'm landing 5 (preferred in light winds). I'm not supposed to overfly any portion of the field so is the downwind leg run fairly wide and north of the airfield (looks like about 1.8 miles off the center of the airport)?
Other than the sports complex, looks like left traffic for 5 doesn't take you near a noise sensitive area or is near any noise insensitive area so I would guess standard downwind leg. Also looks like the negative overflight only applies when skydiving is happening.
2. If I am to land 23, how do most southbound aircraft get from the north side of the field to the 45 entry point for 23? What is a typical altitude and path?
You're kicking one of PoA's hornets' nests with this one.

Ded reckoning to KDED?

Other than the sports complex, looks like left traffic for 5 doesn't take you near a noise sensitive area or is near any noise insensitive area so I would guess standard downwind leg. Also looks like the negative overflight only applies when skydiving is happening.

You're kicking one of PoA's hornets' nests with this one.

Oh, that I know! Entry into the pattern around a non-towered airport seems to be a religious activity. I'm hoping some of the locals chip in advice for what they see/prefer and what works.

I am actually doing pilotage/de(a)d reckoning on the flight with FF and the G300 as backups. I'm kind of digging the whole map/time thing. Once I turned off the electronic aides and just used the map, timer, and heading bug, I found flying point to point an interesting challenge.

3. Any other pointers or tips?

I'm looking forward to taking my parents and sister up for some sightseeing. I'm planning to shoot north to Palatka along the St. John's then east toward Flagler for a short trip down the beach, then back inland and to KDED. Looks like about flight time of a bit over an hour.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, you are supposed to avoid flying over the airport due to parachute jumping. Have you look in the chart supplement for days/times that is going on?

I fly out of Deland so ill try and answer all your questions and hopefully give you some helpful advice. 1) The downwind leg for RWY 5 is right at the departure end of 30. The do not overfly really only pertains to the center of the field due to parachuting activity all day long 7 days a week weather permitting, they try to land by the jump school or in the wedge between 5/23 and 12/30, but we all know how the wind works so they have been known to land a little ways off the field. Fair warning the jump plane departs about any runway he wants, but usually on the departure end of 30 cause of where the jump school is on the field, but with that being said he is very courteous and will hold short if you are close to landing (like on final on a crossing runway). Listen in on the CTAF as soon as you can to hear if he has jumpers in the air or not. They do make the calls on how long till or when jumpers are in the air. 2) as for the route to the downwind for rwy 23, you have a couple options you can pass to the west of the airport about 3-5 miles and circle around while listening to and making proper radio calls on the CTAF and fold in where you can. Remember to keep your head on a SWIVEL, option 2 is to just join a right base to like a 2 mile final while staying clear of the Daytona charlie airspace. 3) BE VERY AWARE of the warning area to the north A-293, as its stated on the sectionals it is a training area and lots of traffic to watch out for. some make calls on the freq assigned to the area and some don't so my advise is to run every light you have and keep your head on a swivel. If you are ADSB in equipped that will take some of the stress out of it. Also, watch out in the area of Pierson(28J) its a glider area, it is north of Deland. Also if you go south of the airport be advised of the 2 airplane killing 1750' tall towers. I have forgotten what airspace restrictions you have as an LSA and I don't know what type of avionics you have but flight following will be a big help, I've always had good experiences with JAX center, and Daytona app has to deal with Riddle, ATP, and a few other schools but they do a really good job of keeping most everyone separated. I'm sure you see the restricted areas in your line of intended flight, Daytona app can tell you if the area is hot or cold. If you have any other questions let me know and I'll try and answer the best I can. Enjoy the flight.

Ok, you are supposed to avoid flying over the airport due to parachute jumping. Have you look in the chart supplement for days/times that is going on?
I know about the parachute jumping but didn't look specifically for times. I'll review that before I head down.

I fly out of Deland so ill try and answer all your questions and hopefully give you some helpful advice. 1) The downwind leg for RWY 5 is right at the departure end of 30. The do not overfly really only pertains to the center of the field due to parachuting activity all day long 7 days a week weather permitting, they try to land by the jump school or in the wedge between 5/23 and 12/30, but we all know how the wind works so they have been known to land a little ways off the field. Fair warning the jump plane departs about any runway he wants, but usually on the departure end of 30 cause of where the jump school is on the field, but with that being said he is very courteous and will hold short if you are close to landing (like on final on a crossing runway). Listen in on the CTAF as soon as you can to hear if he has jumpers in the air or not. They do make the calls on how long till or when jumpers are in the air. 2) as for the route to the downwind for rwy 23, you have a couple options you can pass to the west of the airport about 3-5 miles and circle around while listening to and making proper radio calls on the CTAF and fold in where you can. Remember to keep your head on a SWIVEL, option 2 is to just join a right base to like a 2 mile final while staying clear of the Daytona charlie airspace. 3) BE VERY AWARE of the warning area to the north A-293, as its stated on the sectionals it is a training area and lots of traffic to watch out for. some make calls on the freq assigned to the area and some don't so my advise is to run every light you have and keep your head on a swivel. If you are ADSB in equipped that will take some of the stress out of it. Also, watch out in the area of Pierson(28J) its a glider area, it is north of Deland. Also if you go south of the airport be advised of the 2 airplane killing 1750' tall towers. I have forgotten what airspace restrictions you have as an LSA and I don't know what type of avionics you have but flight following will be a big help, I've always had good experiences with JAX center, and Daytona app has to deal with Riddle, ATP, and a few other schools but they do a really good job of keeping most everyone separated. I'm sure you see the restricted areas in your line of intended flight, Daytona app can tell you if the area is hot or cold. If you have any other questions let me know and I'll try and answer the best I can. Enjoy the flight.

Awesome input! Thank you. I'm a 'basic' sport pilot so no endorsements for B,C, or D airspace. My route keeps me out of any of that airspace and I'm flying over/under/around restricted or other special use airspace. I'll flag the towers south of the airport and I have my flight plan set to dial into CTAF pretty much after I get past the JAX airspace. As for equipment, I don't have ADSB but have a Mode C transponder and plan to use flight following for the trip. I have a Garmin G300 navi system and will be running Foreflight with my flight plan as well (which I actually prefer to the G300; easier to set up a custom flight plan). I also fly with all lights on all the time.

I'm aware of the alert area (the dir of ops for the flight center I trained at/rent from trained at Riddle and warned me about the traffic). Traffic in the GVL area is pretty sparse so this should be...interesting...

Thank you again. MUCH appreciated!

Do you know where you will be parking your plane while you are there? Deland aviation is the only FBO on the field and has reasonable parking fees also the self-service fuel is easy access to the east of the FBO.

Do you know where you will be parking your plane while you are there? Deland aviation is the only FBO on the field and has reasonable parking fees also the self-service fuel is easy access to the east of the FBO.
I called them today and they gave me the scoop. They said if I bought 20 gallons of fuel, I'd get one or two days free parking. That's gonna be a stretch since the Skycather only holds 24...they said we might be able to work something out so we'll see.

I fly out of Deland .

I have some follow up questions.

I'm aware that the area around KDED is known to be busy and the alert area is one of high training activity. On a flight through the alert area below 4000', how many aircraft am I likely to see on a weekend morning (say between 8 and noon). How about above 4000'? What's a typical number of craft in the pattern at KDED?

Where I fly now, if there are 3 planes in the pattern, one shooting an ILS approach, 3 planes in the practice area north of GVL, and 1 medical helicopter flying around, it's a busy day. I fully expect to see 'more', just curious what level of activity I can expect.

Side note, I know that the number of air operations at DED are about 3x that at GVL so I'm curious what that translates to in terms of actual planes I will encounter.

Thank you for your perspective on this.

I have some follow up questions
I'm aware that the area around KDED is known to be busy and the alert area is one of high training activity. On a flight through the alert area below 4000', how many aircraft am I likely to see on a weekend morning (say between 8 and noon). How about above 4000'? What's a typical number of craft in the pattern at KDED?

Where I fly now, if there are 3 planes in the pattern, one shooting an ILS approach, 3 planes in the practice area north of GVL, and 1 medical helicopter flying around, it's a busy day. I fully expect to see 'more', just curious what level of activity I can expect.

Side note, I know that the number of air operations at DED are about 3x that at GVL so I'm curious what that translates to in terms of actual planes I will encounter.

Thank you for your perspective on this.
It's really hard to say, at any given time you could see 2,3,4, or even none. I have been up there battling 3 aircraft including a twin for airspace. Then on the next flight that same day not a sole around for miles. But with that said expect 2 to 3 just for good measure, as far as altitude goes above 4k will get you over most all of them, but you also have to take into consideration how fast you can or want to decend to get to pattern altitude. I believe the Freq for that alert\ practice area is 122.85 if you have two comms to work with. You could listen in for traffic and talk with either jax or daytona app at that point. Now as for the normal aircraft in the pattern at KDED is varies from day to day. We get a lot of Riddle diddles there and some others from KDAB and also a few from KEVB , but since the normal required procedure there is when there is 3 or more aircraft in the pattern all landings must be land and taxi back , so it might get a bit crowded some days its not too bad. Like I said as always its see and avoid and head on a swivel. Good luck to ya and safe flight.

It's really hard to say, at any given time you could see 2,3,4, or even none. I have been up there battling 3 aircraft including a twin for airspace. Then on the next flight that same day not a sole around for miles. But with that said expect 2 to 3 just for good measure, as far as altitude goes above 4k will get you over most all of them, but you also have to take into consideration how fast you can or want to decend to get to pattern altitude. I believe the Freq for that alert\ practice area is 122.85 if you have two comms to work with. You could listen in for traffic and talk with either jax or daytona app at that point. Now as for the normal aircraft in the pattern at KDED is varies from day to day. We get a lot of Riddle diddles there and some others from KDAB and also a few from KEVB , but since the normal required procedure there is when there is 3 or more aircraft in the pattern all landings must be land and taxi back , so it might get a bit crowded some days its not too bad. Like I said as always its see and avoid and head on a swivel. Good luck to ya and safe flight.

Thanks for the update. That doesn't actually sound too bad. I've been in the pattern with 3 planes at GVL, a med chopper sliding in from the hospital, someone without a radio in a cub doing whatever the heck it is cub drivers do, and someone shooting the ILS; it gets a bit hairy not too bad.

The Catcher has two radios, one primary and one on standby that you can monitor. I'll most likely come down with flight following as my primary and listen to Unicom on the standby.

In my case, I'll just be landing so one lap around the pattern then down. I plan to take my family for a couple of sight seeing flights so those will be up and out then back and down so no real pattern work.

Now if the weather just cooperates and the 'canes stay away!

Thanks again; much appreciated.

Back