Looking for CFI options in Atlanta (KRYY or KPDK)

My wife loves flying with me.

My wife gets motion sick really easy. That's the one thing I regret is that she really can't fly with me. Anybody have any sure fire solutions?

Guys, I have been threatening to start my PPL training as well and live in Woodstock. I was given some advice to train at Cartersville as that is very near where KRYY's training area is and it is less congested. Maybe we should form an LLC and buy a C182 and all train in that? If we could find a forth, your looking at $25k for a decent Q model. Add in a conservative reserve for MX, etc. and suddenly we are training on an asset. I would have no problem with training at KRYY if that were the case.

That would be fun. Not sure I could make it that far north

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife gets motion sick really easy. That's the one thing I regret is that she really can't fly with me. Anybody have any sure fire solutions?

Trade her in on a newer sportier model? :p:D

Does she have issues with motion in the plane? I ask as my wife is somewhat motion sensitive. She cannot read in a moving car and gets queasy in turbulence, even in big commercial jets; says she's thrown up before, but not since I've known her (23 years). She can ride a rollercoaster, but really doesn't like it. Only did it for our middle daughter that also doesn't like rollercoasters, but wanted to like them. My wife is fine in the small planes. The afternoon thermals bother her, but not much else. And she can read in the plane. :)

Trade her in on a newer sportier model? :p:D

Does she have issues with motion in the plane? I ask as my wife is somewhat motion sensitive. She cannot read in a moving car and gets queasy in turbulence, even in big commercial jets; says she's thrown up before, but not since I've known her (23 years). She can ride a rollercoaster, but really doesn't like it. Only did it for our middle daughter that also doesn't like rollercoasters, but wanted to like them. My wife is fine in the small planes. The afternoon thermals bother her, but not much else. And she can read in the plane. :)

Just like that. Can't read in a moving car. Has a tendency to get sick anyway unless she's driving. She's flown with me 3 times. 1st time smooth as glass. Second bumpy and third had to come back. I may never get her in a plane again. lol.

Guys, I have been threatening to start my PPL training as well and live in Woodstock. I was given some advice to train at Cartersville as that is very near where KRYY's training area is and it is less congested. Maybe we should form an LLC and buy a C182 and all train in that? If we could find a forth, your looking at $25k for a decent Q model. Add in a conservative reserve for MX, etc. and suddenly we are training on an asset. I would have no problem with training at KRYY if that were the case.
Very tempting, but I'm not ready to dive into that kind of partnership right now. Too many other variables in my life to tie myself down to something that I'd only have 25% control of.

Very tempting, but I'm not ready to dive into that kind of partnership right now. Too many other variables in my life to tie myself down to something that I'd only have 25% control of.

While I'm a huge proponent (Yuuge :) ) of partnerships, I'd wait until after the PPL. The biggest reason is there is a significant drop-out during the training. Any of you may find you don't like it, it's too hard, too time consuming, other things in life came up, whatever. Then do some flying and see what you like to do.

There are lots of costs for a plane outside of the propeller spinning. Having partners helps with that. It can reduce the capital cost or enable you to buy more airplane. It's really nice when the engine dies to split the cost of a $30-50k rebuild.

They say the only thing worse than a partner that can't spend as much as you can (for upgrades) is one that can outspend you. :eek:

I've flown in two partnerships with 3 or 4 pilots. So far I've found scheduling conflicts rare, and that's with an open schedule.

Check out Lanier Flight Center at PDK. They run a great flight school.
I'm working on Sport Pilot at KGVL Lanier and have been happy with both the company and my CFI. Their fleet is well maintained and the staff is always helpful.

Thanks, I'm really enjoying it so far. 3.3 hours and counting!

I've got the August pancake breakfast on my calendar. Would love to check out the RV you're building.

Did you make it to breakfast this morning?

Did you make it out to breakfast this morning?

I didn't make it after all. I had a 2nd discovery flight a week ago that spooked me a little and I've pulled back a little bit. I was a little embarrassed considering how hard I had been charging on these boards- so I decided not to go. I should have sent you a private message through the site before hand. Sorry about that. Hope you all had a good morning. The weather was beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be watching this thread as well. I took a Discovery flight with Centennial Aviation Academy- and they were great. I've traded emails with a few other schools at the field (all PDK). Interested to see what folks on the board recommend. Good luck to you! I am still trying to justify committing the $$ and time to getting a PPL, and then what?
No use in trying to justify it. Do you want to fly? Can you afford it? Do it. Then what? You will have accomplished a goal. You'll be a pilot. Keep flying.

I struggled a bit with the 'what for' when I first started, I just kept realizing after each lesson, I couldn't wait for the next one. Then eventually it was time for the check ride.

I didn't make it after all. I had a 2nd discovery flight a week ago that spooked me a little and I've pulled back a little bit.

No need to feel embarrassed. Most people experience some level of apprehension when learning to fly. It's the instructor's responsibility to manage that and keep them safe as well as feeling relatively safe as they learn.

It sounded like you were shopping schools (and indirectly instructors) via discovery flights. You may have just run across an instructor who didn't handle your fears correctly.

What happened? We may be able to tell if it sounds "normal" or if it sounds "not quite right" from a description. You don't have to give business or personal names if you don't want to.

Did you make it to breakfast this morning?

I did make it out, but arrived not long before the speaker. I had the family in tow and they got a bit restless so I didn't get a chance to try to find you. The kids did enjoy the pancakes! Thinking about trying to bring the kids to a Young Eagles event to give them a chance to experience going up. Ok if I PM you to talk a little more about that? I'd be happy to volunteer on the ground if you need me.

I did make it out, but arrived not long before the speaker. I had the family in tow and they got a bit restless so I didn't get a chance to try to find you. The kids did enjoy the pancakes! Thinking about trying to bring the kids to a Young Eagles event to give them a chance to experience going up. Ok if I PM you to talk a little more about that? I'd be happy to volunteer on the ground if you need me.

Feel free to contact me. BTW our Young Eagles day is this Saturday with sign in beginning at 8:30am. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet.

Back