Looking for CFI options in Atlanta (KRYY or KPDK)

DavidATL

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SportATL
I'm a brand new student looking for options going for my PPL. I have done two discovery flights with two different instructors, schools, and airports (listed above) and while I had a blast with both I'm looking for some other options.

If I don't yet own a plane is a flight school really the only way to go?

If it's possible, are there any independent high-time CFIs in the area that are interested in teaching a dedicated learner with a technical background? I'd like to learn with my hands and feet, steam gauges and sight pictures before we start adding on too much technology. I'm looking to put in a few hours a day, 2-3 days a week. Prefer to fly out of RYY but I can make PDK work.

Thanks for reading!

I'll be watching this thread as well. I took a Discovery flight with Centennial Aviation Academy- and they were great. I've traded emails with a few other schools at the field (all PDK). Interested to see what folks on the board recommend. Good luck to you! I am still trying to justify committing the $$ and time to getting a PPL, and then what?

Have also been considering buying a plane and learning in it. Good idea? Terrible idea? Would it be crazy to do it in a tailwheel?

Would love to buy someone local a coffee/beer and pick your brain for a bit if you're up for it.

You haven't said where you live. There is Advanced Aviation at PDK and he has a location at KLZU. Bruce is a good guy and runs a good clean business. There is a club at KLZU, AeroVentures, LTD (flylzu.com) that has 2 172's and a 150. They can do training and have several CFI and CFII's in the club. They do training for my youth group. The have "associate members" that pay a per year fee of something like $250 and then a monthly fee plus the hourly on the planes, which is a wet fee. I know the 150 rents for $75hr.

Thanks for the info! I'm up in Marietta pretty close to RYY. LZU is a bit far from me but I can make PDK work.

Have also been considering buying a plane and learning in it. Good idea? Terrible idea? Would it be crazy to do it in a tailwheel?

Would love to buy someone local a coffee/beer and pick your brain for a bit if you're up for it.

Some argue that it is cost effective to do so, but only if you buy something in fairly good shape that will hold its value. Identifying that sort of plane sounds daunting to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Eppy. I'm in Norcross so PDK is preferable but I'm intrigued by the flying club at LZU with instructors. Saw in their site where it estimated around $2,500 to solo and $5,000 for PPL? That sounds awesome. Any recommends from your youth group on the available instructors? Looks like there are 4 or so. Thanks!

Thanks Eppy. I'm in Norcross so PDK is preferable but I'm intrigued by the flying club at LZU with instructors. Saw in their site where it estimated around $2,500 to solo and $5,000 for PPL? That sounds awesome. Any recommends from your youth group on the available instructors? Looks like there are 4 or so. Thanks!

The principal in the club is John Post, the youth are using him. Todd Jennings is also very good. He is a contract 777 instructor for Boeing. Jason Helmka also appears to be okay.

I have chapter members and friends in the club.

The principal in the club is John Post, the youth are using him. Todd Jennings is also very good. He is a contract 777 instructor for Boeing. Jason Helmka also appears to be okay.

I have chapter members and friends in the club.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll add them to my interview list.

Too bad you aren't closer to Athens. I know of a great CFI/CFII. Super easy going and just loves to teach people how to fly.

Bruce is a good guy and runs a good clean business.

I've talked to him on the phone a few times and was very helpful and seems like a nice guy. I still may do some flying there before it's over. I was originally thinking about doing my commercial training there due to the Arrow, but they had a prop strike in it and it's down for right now.

I've talked to him on the phone a few times and was very helpful and seems like a nice guy. I still may do some flying there before it's over. I was originally thinking about doing my commercial training there due to the Arrow, but they had a prop strike in it and it's down for right now.

He donates instructors and plane time for our Charlie Summer Kids. We pay him for fuel and books. The class is limited to four, this year we had three in it and they got about 4 hours each. Bruce has been a long time member of our EAA chapter. We've supplied several $1,000 scholarships to students at his school over the years.

Superior Flight at RYY is great. They have over a dozen planes in their fleet. I did my PPL and instrument rating there, plus my complex endorsement. That's probably the closest to you (DaveATL).

This is a timely thread. I'm in Alpharetta and plan to start training in the next few weeks.

Yesterday I spoke with Aaron, the head instructor for All2Fly at PDK.
Their rates are pretty decent at $135/hour for a 172 or Warrior and $40 for instructor time. Does anyone have experience with them?

The LZU option is a little further away for me, but sounds like an incredible value that I want to look into.

And I will add that I plan to fly 2-3 times a week until I get my PPL, and maybe work on an instrument rating next year.

I don't have experience with them other than trading an email or 2. It was more along the lines of "come by and take a tour" or call. Their prices certainly seem to be competitive- -I would need to review their equipment/maintenance before committing. Maybe they keep their cost lower because they don't rent hangar or office space? it appears they operate out of a flexible dome hangar (don't know how to describe) at the back of one of the ramps- but I am making assumptions on that. Their fence signs have always caught my attention though (advertised at about half of other schools at the field).

You might also look at Velocity Aviation at PDK. I traded emails with the chief instructor- Paul- he was very helpful. After we spoke, I happened to notice also that they had a Groupon for 30 min of simulator time and 30 min of discovery flight for $70'/$80. I bought that but haven't scheduled it yet. He is an airline pilot and their pricing seems competitive also.

Keep me posted on which outfit you go with. Thanks!

I've got the August one on the calendar. Thanks!

Good luck on your training guys. I invite you to come out to LZU for one of our pancake breakfasts at EAA 690 and a chance to meet a lot of folks in aviation and to network with them. We generally have 100-150 folks in attendance. www.eaa690.org or https://www.facebook.com/groups/eaa690/ on Face Book.

Thanks, I'm really enjoying it so far. 3.3 hours and counting!

I've got the August pancake breakfast on my calendar. Would love to check out the RV you're building.

Superior Flight at RYY is great. They have over a dozen planes in their fleet. I did my PPL and instrument rating there, plus my complex endorsement. That's probably the closest to you (DaveATL).

I would use caution at superior. I've done my instrument with them and I was dragged along a pretty good bit. I did most of my commercial there too but the same thing happened gain. Some of the instructors are also just there to get to 1500, not all but some. Other than that planes are great and a lot of them!

I would also give a positive to getting your own plane and learning in it after you get your PPL. I saved a bunch of money by doing some training in my own plane.

Last edited:
I would also give a positive to getting your own plane and learning in it after you get your PPL. I saved a bunch of money by doing some training in my own plane.
That sounds like great advice, blurceo! Can you help me convince my wife? :p

Wow, completely different experience than I had at Superior Flight.

I did my IFR training with Andy Manning. He's still there, and well past 1,500 hours.

Blurceo- I'm in line behind Chaoticlife for the whole wife convincing presentation. Thanks in advance :)

Thanks, I'm really enjoying it so far. 3.3 hours and counting!

I've got the August pancake breakfast on my calendar. Would love to check out the RV you're building.

Sure thing, we'll get someone to take you down to that hangar to take a look. That's also where our youth group is working on their projects.

I was a part of the FlyLZU club for about a year before I moved away. I really liked the club and their planes and flew a lot more there then I ever did renting. They recently acquired another 180hp 172 so now they have 2 in addition to their 150. I wish I would have bought my own plane though!

Thanks for the info! I'm up in Marietta pretty close to RYY. LZU is a bit far from me but I can make PDK work.
If you can make Canton or Jasper work. I can hook you up. I think he'll go to RYY as well.
He has Tomahawk, and access to an Ercoupe, and a taildragger, as well.
Nothing wrong with learning in a taildragger, as a matter of fact, I feel that it would be best to do so.

Man PDK was busy today. Testy exchanges over the air, runway switch in the middle of heavy traffic. Fun times. :(

Man PDK was busy today. Testy exchanges over the air, runway switch in the middle of heavy traffic. Fun times. :(
I was in and out twice today, pretty quiet, I guess I missed the fun.

It comes and goes in waves.

Went to do some night take-offs and lands for currency at PDK a while back. I was something like #4 for departure on the first take-off and thinking, "jeez, this is going to take forever" since you have to do full stop landings for night currency, no touch-n-goes. Nope, after that I think maybe one landing or take-off from someone other than me. Went from crowded to desolate in no time. o_O

It comes and goes in waves.

Went to do some night take-offs and lands for currency at PDK a while back. I was something like #4 for departure on the first take-off and thinking, "jeez, this is going to take forever" since you have to do full stop landings for night currency, no touch-n-goes. Nope, after that I think maybe one landing or take-off from someone other than me. Went from crowded to desolate in no time. o_O

I was mostly amused by a Lear pilot that was ticked because he got a low altitude alert while on a visual. "Tower, what is the problem here?! We're on a visual approach...is that necessary?" Controller said it was necessary. Few minutes later after landing it sounded like the Lear pilot wanted tower's number.

I always laugh when tempers flare when either pilots or controllers get ticked over the air. You have an easy azz job that pays well. Just shut your trap, be a professional and be lucky that you have the job you're in.

That sounds like great advice, blurceo! Can you help me convince my wife? :p

Blurceo- I'm in line behind Chaoticlife for the whole wife convincing presentation. Thanks in advance :)
Well, don't show her this!
article-0-0171664300000578-830_468x286.jpg

You know I'm not married so I can't really speak to it. But if you sit her down and explain to her. "Hey, we can be at the beach in no time if we buy this plane!" I think that would go over pretty well. It goes over pretty well with most woman I bring it up to. But like I said I'm not married.Now, @Somedudeintn has the opposite problem. His wife wants a twin with a cabin and bathroom.

My wife loves flying with me. It definitely makes things much nicer, even in my slow Warrior. Four hours to Orlando, couple of hours to Savannah, 2.5 hours to PCB, three hours to Myrtle beach. No cars around you trying to kill you. What's not to like?

I actually think we'll own a plane not too long after the first time she gets to fly with me, but until then it's just yet another expensive hobby I want to take up, lol. She's always enjoyed the puddle jumpers and helicopter rides we've taken, and I'm the tightwad in our family.

Guys, I have been threatening to start my PPL training as well and live in Woodstock. I was given some advice to train at Cartersville as that is very near where KRYY's training area is and it is less congested. Maybe we should form an LLC and buy a C182 and all train in that? If we could find a forth, your looking at $25k for a decent Q model. Add in a conservative reserve for MX, etc. and suddenly we are training on an asset. I would have no problem with training at KRYY if that were the case.

Back