Looking for advice on Importing for CA to US.

Bill Weber

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bill W
Hello,

Has anyone purchase/imported an aircraft from Canada to the US? If so, would you be so kind as to tell me what the process is?

thank you.
Edit: *looking for advice on importing FROM!

Two ways to do it.

1) Fly it down on the Canadian registration and close the deal once at your destination airport. De-register from the Transport Canada registry of aircraft (requires seller to send notification along with copy of Bill of Sale). Note a "C" registered airplane cannot be flown in Canadian airspace without holding a Canadian pilot's licence, or a Canadian endorsement on your USA licence, so generally easiest to have the seller fly it down for you.

2) Close the transaction in Canada. De-register the airplane in Canada. Apply to the FAA for US N-number and ferry permit to fly it back.

Either way you'll have to go through the importation inspection routine to secure a permanent airworthiness certificate from the FAA.

The whole thing can be a real PITA, so best if its the "deal of a lifetime" or something quite unique. Otherwise best to avoid it.

2) Close the transaction in Canada. De-register the airplane in Canada. Apply to the FAA for US N-number and ferry permit to fly it back.

I'd be careful employing this method. The FAA will only issue a ferry permit for flight in the US so you'd need to talk Transport Canada into being willing to do something to get you to the border. I looked into using this method on the last import I worked on (a float plane that was sitting up north all winter so lots of downtime) and decided against it after discussing the possibility with the FSDO. If it were me, I'd either get the plane here on the Canadian registration then deregister it or do the whole import with the plane still in Canada. There are shops up there that could just get it done before it comes home.

The whole thing can be a real PITA, so best if its the "deal of a lifetime" or something quite unique. Otherwise best to avoid it.

Indeed they can be a pain. This last one I did took over 2 years, most of which was due to getting the run around by Transport Canada on the deregistration and the subsequent US government shutdown. But there were some field approvals that took some time to get pushed through as well.

I would not suggest doing an import if we're talking about a common airplane or if the owner is looking to fly anytime soon. They take a while.

Back