Looking for Advice on Career Change. 25 Yrs Old. Burned Out?

austin757

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
aj757
Airline pilot and I have no desire to do this job for much longer. The pay is pretty good and it does get better the longer one in is in the industry. That said, I feel I can make more and feel more fulfilled doing other things. I have degree in Business, but not from a top school. I finished it online while flying full time. Have experience working with small businesses and would like projects/part time work on the side in addition to a full time job. As far as career goes, I am thinking a MegaCorp and hopefully work my way up into management, but I do not know if I have the qualifications to even get in the door due to my experience. I have experience as an instructor and management at my airline, and managing is the part I like about the job, not so much the flying. So I guess my passion is anything business, real estate, management, etc. I have thought about working my way up higher in airline management ranks, but I do not think that is too common for pilots.

Sorry for the long winded post. I guess I am just at a stand still. Even having trouble sleeping lately due to thinking constantly that I am running out of time to make any changes will be stuck even further. Could be COVID that put the nail in the coffin for me, not sure. I still pick up overtime to fly just to get out of the house just because I NEED to be busy and doing stuff. But it has gotten to the point that I'm counting down the minutes until our descent due to boredom at cruise altitude. Once the airplane parks at the gate, I try to get off and on my way as soon as I can. Any advice is appreciated.

If you're already bored and unhappy, you definitely need to make a change. It's certainly not going to suddenly get better. The pay and schedule will, but the lifestyle is the lifestyle.

I'm an IT tech who worked my way up to management for a consulting division in a large software company to discover I hated management (did it twice just to prove a point!). I left and did independent consulting for many years. My last client made me an offer to stay as an employee that seemed like a good fit. I've been here 8 years and am looking at the right window to start some kind of retirement. So, to the "grass is always greener" - I always thought about commercial pilot as a career but was always too busy climbing the IT corporate ladder to make the commitment to living life on Raman and cold pizza while making the transition.

Austin757, the challenge with the career you have (in my opinion) is that the lateral moves are limited. I don't know the industry well enough, but I think you could continue your move into full time instructing or take a management position in the airlines I suppose. I would imagine the airlines would want to keep you flying as a young, competent pilot, though. I hear it pays well, but as mentioned above, it's a lifestyle.

FWIW, I started my career in IT, doing development, then moving on to database admin and architecture, then management consulting (that's a lifestyle as well.) Getting a MBA helped as it opened few doors, so I'd recommend that while employed (helps having cash flow.) I transitioned out of IT and the long days and longer nights into IT Procurement Management where I lead a department (which has its own unique challenges.)

My opinion: There aren't many people I know that have their dream job, but sometimes the least offensive job is acceptable, especially if surrounded by good people. But working for a company or industry that has the opportunity for lateral moves makes things easier to try various positions/roles to see which fits best. Having credentials or degrees helps to with that transition (at least it does in the IT/business world)

Is there any benefit to 'volunteering' for furlough in your CBA ?

I used to work with someone who was hired by United just before 9-11 and ended up furloughed soon thereafter. He was furloughed long enough to complete medical school and an anesthesia residency. Through some quirks in the CBA, he was able to decline 'x' opportunities to return. Eventually they gave him a 'come back or else' option and that is what he did. After a prolonged series of training events, he went back to flying status, bid for a reserve position and ended up working both, a minimal hour airline schedule plus a less than full time anesthesia schedule. Another gentleman I met around the same time made an entire career at DHS while on furlough from USAir.

Long story short. You have a business degree. Get the best MBA you can afford and try to get in with 'MegaCorp' or one of the consulting outfits. You may be able to do so while officially furloughed from your airline gig so you have that as a fallback if the steep corporate career doesn't happen.

Why not use your piloting knowledge to work in management for your airline or another aircraft-related industry? Might be a decent segway into getting a job by having something most other business management candidates don't have: a commercial/ATP ticket.

Plenty young to do a career change.

I’d also entertain side occupations, at least to transition. That would be while you keep your regular flying job.

Nobody really cares where your degree came from after you've landed your first job. Just take an entry level analyst position at Megacorp and work your way up from there.

Or, look for a boring unfulfilling government job with decent pay and great retirement benefits, and work your way up from there. Or not.

I used to work with someone who was hired by United just before 9-11 and ended up furloughed soon thereafter. He was furloughed long enough to complete medical school and an anesthesia residency. Through some quirks in the CBA, he was able to decline 'x' opportunities to return. Eventually they gave him a 'come back or else' option and that is what he did. After a prolonged series of training events, he went back to flying status, bid for a reserve position and ended up working both, a minimal hour airline schedule plus a less than full time anesthesia schedule.

We have a guy in my base that used his furlough to become a cardiothoracic surgeon. Pretty much the same situation - bypassed recall a few times, then finally came back to flying the line. He still teaches in his off time, as I understand it. It always blows me away what some of the guys have done during furlough or by utilizing the down time that comes with the job. Also reminds me what a lazy friggin' bastard I am! :p

I just got pinged by a recruiter who's looking for a Chief Technology Officer for a company that writes campground management and reservation systems software. I thought "only if I could work from customer's campgrounds!" but then there's that "manage people" twist. I promised myself, after 2 goes at that, "never again". Granted, I was good at it, got promotions, accolades, awards, love of my people stuff ... but hated it.

For retirement I thought "I could be a campground host ... except for that 'dealing with people' thing". My wife's an extrovert - maybe she can do that part of the job? :D

Why not use your piloting knowledge to work in management for your airline or another aircraft-related industry? Might be a decent segway into getting a job by having something most other business management candidates don't have: a commercial/ATP ticket.
This is a decent Segway.
segways-living-the-future-17638_4.jpeg

There's also airport management, or any number of aviation support industries. That is, unless you are burned out by aviation in general.

We have a guy in my base that used his furlough to become a cardiothoracic surgeon. Pretty much the same situation - bypassed recall a few times, then finally came back to flying the line. He still teaches in his off time, as I understand it. It always blows me away what some of the guys have done during furlough or by utilizing the down time that comes with the job. Also reminds me what a lazy friggin' bastard I am! :p

Empires of real estate and insurance sales organizations have been built during airline furloughs.

I'm sorry to read of your situation. And your timing sucks; that's certainly not your fault, but with 15% unemployment, finding a job in almost any field is going to be challenging for a while. From what I can read between the lines, you may be good at sales. Qualifications include being an extrovert and ambitious. I sense that you may have both qualities. I'm retired now, but I interviewed and hired hundreds of sales reps for my business. I was never really too concerned about education or previous job experience. I wanted people with certain attributes and the right attitude. We sold expensive and complicated business software, so my reps had to be smart enough to grasp and communicate the features. I would have wanted to interview someone with your background. As our economy recovers, sales reps will be in demand before managers. And being a successful sales rep with good coaching skills could land you a promotion to a management position faster than most fields. Just my two cents. Good luck on this.

I know it doesn’t help, but there are lots of us in “management” at “MegaCorp” that would love to have YOUR job... ahh, “the grass is always greener”. Applies to so much in life.

I know it doesn’t help, but there are lots of us in “management” at “MegaCorp” that would love to have YOUR job... ahh, “the grass is always greener”. Applies to so much in life.

This job's not for everyone, that's for sure. Always had a lot of respect for the ones that recognized it early on and did something about it. There's a guy here on PoA that bailed from the regionals for the FAA, and I always really admired the decision. I think many unhappy pilots trying to grind it out get into a mindset that the money will eventually make it better. Or a bigger airplane. It's those guys that eventually go on to be the miserable SOBs that are terrible to spend time on the road with. :)

Is there any benefit to 'volunteering' for furlough in your CBA ?

I used to work with someone who was hired by United just before 9-11 and ended up furloughed soon thereafter. He was furloughed long enough to complete medical school and an anesthesia residency. Through some quirks in the CBA, he was able to decline 'x' opportunities to return. Eventually they gave him a 'come back or else' option and that is what he did. After a prolonged series of training events, he went back to flying status, bid for a reserve position and ended up working both, a minimal hour airline schedule plus a less than full time anesthesia schedule. Another gentleman I met around the same time made an entire career at DHS while on furlough from USAir.

Long story short. You have a business degree. Get the best MBA you can afford and try to get in with 'MegaCorp' or one of the consulting outfits. You may be able to do so while officially furloughed from your airline gig so you have that as a fallback if the steep corporate career doesn't happen.
My company is offering a paid leave with a 1, 3, and 6 month option. Big pay cut but wouldn't have to come in at all. I have thought about the MBA. I never heard of anyone going to medical school during a furlough, that is incredible. I I have heard of people starting a business but that is quite amazing. Thanks for the advice.

This is definitely true. I know the "grass isn't always greener" and I could make this jump and regret leaving the airline career behind. It's probably a gamble.

I'm sorry to read of your situation. And your timing sucks; that's certainly not your fault, but with 15% unemployment, finding a job in almost any field is going to be challenging for a while. From what I can read between the lines, you may be good at sales. Qualifications include being an extrovert and ambitious. I sense that you may have both qualities. I'm retired now, but I interviewed and hired hundreds of sales reps for my business. I was never really too concerned about education or previous job experience. I wanted people with certain attributes and the right attitude. We sold expensive and complicated business software, so my reps had to be smart enough to grasp and communicate the features. I would have wanted to interview someone with your background. As our economy recovers, sales reps will be in demand before managers. And being a successful sales rep with good coaching skills could land you a promotion to a management position faster than most fields. Just my two cents. Good luck on this.
Thank you sir. Yes, sales have always been an interest of mine. There are so many different opportunities and industries that I am not sure which one I'd fit in the most. Thanks for your input.

I'd say that a vacation, or some sort of volunteer work would help as a distraction and keep you from feeling that your job is the only thing in your life right now. Unfortunately, this is a terrible time to be able to do either of those things.

Part of me says this might be the best option. Try to advance as much as I can in this industry that I am familiar with, while also growing a side business and adding more real estate investments to increase income.

Empires of real estate and insurance sales organizations have been built during airline furloughs.
Definitely. I have been doing some investing and could see it eventually replacing my airline income. It's becoming a passion for me.

At 25 you have the whole world open in front of you, and that can be intimidating if you think too hard about it. Figure out what you are good at doing, what you like to do, and what experience you have in doing that. You might be surprised at how many different things there are that can use that combination. You are in a good spot, so don't get burned out by what you are doing now and instead approach your current job as a stepping stone to the next chapter. When you take control that way, the drudgery seems to go away...a lot.

Part of me says this might be the best option. Try to advance as much as I can in this industry that I am familiar with, while also growing a side business and adding more real estate investments to increase income.

Well, it's just something that might be easier to get your foot in the door. One you have that "first job", it's easier to transition elsewhere because you've shown that you're employable as a finance/management person, not as a pilot. However, taking an entry level position somewhere is another option, when those opportunities open back up after the economy recovers a bit in the coming months.

I would stick with the cash cow you have in hand. If you want work your way up in a megacorp it will cost you 50-60+ hours per week and that will get old plus become unhealthy. Many corpoarate leaders have huge egos are unpleasent to be around. Focus on learning new things like building a kit airplane, starting a side business, learning about investments or some other hobby. Do you have a family? Having a couple of kids will change everthing and you will be happy to get some quiet moments in the airplane.

I would stick with the cash cow you have in hand. If you want work your way up in a megacorp it will cost you 50-60+ hours per week and that will get old plus become unhealthy. Many corpoarate leaders have huge egos are unpleasent to be around. Focus on learning new things like building a kit airplane, starting a side business, learning about investments or some other hobby. Do you have a family? Having a couple of kids will change everthing and you will be happy to get some quiet moments in the airplane.
Thanks for the advice. I have spoken to some pilot colleagues who have come from the corporate world and they tell me flying professionally is barely work compared to the long hours they put it. Not to mention all the work that some people have to take home with them, unlike airline pilots. Investing is a big hobby, so I do a lot of reading about that. Not into general aviation like I used be when I was learning, but I will still catch myself looking up when an airplane flies over. No kids or girlfriend. Just me, living at home.

You're young, so you have time on your side. Instead of reinventing the wheel altogether(although at your age you certainly can quite easily), think about aviation management. That can be anything from airlines, to part 135 management, to ancillary industries like aviation insurance, aircraft financing, airport management, FBO management/development(basically real estate). You have the luxury of waiting a few years to make a move as well.

When the wife left aviation (about 5yrs older than you at the time) she went to something non-aviation related. She regrets leaving he flying job once in while. But life at MegaCorp plows on (and pays good) while aviation is getting thwacked pretty hard and probably will again in another 10-15yrs. Her advice would be second career entirely outside of aviation.

Lol, seems like a broad generalization brought about by watching too many Wall Street documentaries. You will come across many people in corporate America who have huge egos and are unpleasant to be around; you will also come a ton of really genuine people and fantastic leaders. Working for big companies doesn't mean that you are working 60hr work weeks all year long and being driven into the pavement as just another drone. There are places like that, sure, but that goes for any business. There are pros and cons to working for large companies just like anything else, you just have to weigh what you want out of it and see if the fit is right.

My company is offering a paid leave with a 1, 3, and 6 month option. Big pay cut but wouldn't have to come in at all. I have thought about the MBA. I never heard of anyone going to medical school during a furlough, that is incredible. I have heard of people starting a business but that is quite amazing. Thanks for the advice.

Medical school is a big commitment in both time, money, and personal life if you want to do well on the USMLE to secure a residency that makes it worth it. Count on being 35 before you start making money and there is no telling what the practice of medicine is going to look like in 10 years.

If you're not completely burned out, have you talked to a military recruiter?

Years ago, I got burned out too. But it was the industry, not the profession. After taking close to a year off (a no-compete that they had to pay me for) I did a reboot into a different industry that was pretty dynamic with something new just about every day.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I am likely in the last few years of a 40 year engineering career - more than 1/2 of it at Fortune 500 companies. I found mega companies to be stifling. Most of them are not a place for original thought and innovative thinking. Others may have a different experience - but that is mine.
It seems like a lot of airline pilots have second business on the side. Maybe you could be the next entrepreneur.

Me - I am hoping to put the commercial rating to a little use in the semi-retirement years. Good luck to you.

Have you talked with your HR department about what you’re thinking/wanting? If you’re going to depart, there’s no harm in asking what they might have for you...your foot’s in the door, so to speak. Obviously not the best timing, but worth a shot.

Have you talked with your HR department about what you’re thinking/wanting? If you’re going to depart, there’s no harm in asking what they might have for you...your foot’s in the door, so to speak. Obviously not the best timing, but worth a shot.
I have done so interviewing and pilot recruiting. I have not thought about letting them. Thanks for the advice.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I am likely in the last few years of a 40 year engineering career - more than 1/2 of it at Fortune 500 companies. I found mega companies to be stifling. Most of them are not a place for original thought and innovative thinking. Others may have a different experience - but that is mine.
It seems like a lot of airline pilots have second business on the side. Maybe you could be the next entrepreneur.

Me - I am hoping to put the commercial rating to a little use in the semi-retirement years. Good luck to you.
Thanks you for the advice.

Medical school is a big commitment in both time, money, and personal life if you want to do well on the USMLE to secure a residency that makes it worth it. Count on being 35 before you start making money and there is no telling what the practice of medicine is going to look like in 10 years.

If you're not completely burned out, have you talked to a military recruiter?

Years ago, I got burned out too. But it was the industry, not the profession. After taking close to a year off (a no-compete that they had to pay me for) I did a reboot into a different industry that was pretty dynamic with something new just about every day.
Some people have recommended joining the ANG and flying there as a backup. Some pilots say this is a good back up in case of furlough. Have not thought about this as a long term career option.

I've tended to change careers every decade of so. I also tend not to choose things that require a specific degree.
You are rather young to be suffering from burnout, however.

Back