Looking for a checklist app

JohnAJohnson

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JohnAJohnson
I'd like a checklist app that will do the following:

1. Read the checklist item using text to speech. Example: "Remove the pitot cover".

2. Wait for voice recognition. If I say "check", go to the next checklist item. If I say "repeat", re-read the current checklist item.

It should be trainable for my voice, and a tablet mounted in the cockpit should be able to hear me from the empennage area. It should also accept externally developed text files for its checklists.

Anyone know of such an app?

I haven't been looking for anything THAT advanced, but a nice checklist app would be sweet! customizable a little to add a few points to a basic checklist

Sounds like a pretty dangerous setup, closest thing I've seen was that Google glass flying app, think it had some more cool than useful checklist thing like that

2. Wait for voice recognition. If I say "check", go to the next checklist item. If I say "repeat", re-read the current checklist item.
Here's how this would play out with current voice recognition software:

Voice Recognition: "Verify Engine oil level to be 6-8 quarts."

You: "Check"

Voice Recognition: "I think you said repeat, is this correct?"

You: "No"

Voice Recognition: "Okay John, Verify Engine oil level 6-8 quarts."

"Check!!"

Voice Recognition: "You want me to repeat this again? Please say a command"

lindsay-graham-cell-phone.gif

Here's how this would play out with current voice recognition software...

I have a feeling you are 100% correct! Voice recognition isn't as useful as we'd like it to be and on a [possibly] noisy ramp, I can see where it might be totally impractical.

Even in my quiet car, and after I have trained it, it is unsure if I said "Kathy" or "Jeremy" and makes me select item 1 or 2.

But still, it would sure make the walkaround and pre-engine-start cockpit checklists a breeze to do. We can dream I guess.

Y'all using these things as check lists or "do lists"?

^^^ The difference is clear.

You should do the flow and then review the checklist to make sure you did everything.

"The difference is clear" seems to imply that anyone not understanding James' comment must be slow, or at least a lesser pilot than the one making the statement. If this was your conscious or subconscious motivation for replying, which do you think I am?

But I am impressed that you knew what James was thinking and that you know how I do (or don't do) flows and checklists.

You should do the flow and then review the checklist to make sure you did everything.

But I am impressed that you knew what James was thinking and that you know how I do (or don't do) flows and checklists.

I'd be truly impressive if I could tell you how many checklist threads there have been on PoA, how many include @James331's comment [either paraphrased or precisely] and how many of the members who are CFI's (I'm not by the way) agree with him, as I do.

It has nothing to do with anyone's cognitive abilities or pilotage.

Now you've clarified that I should have researched further before posting. I did, and there were none related to my inquiry.

As a side note...
When I joined this forum in 2006, it was refreshing to see pilots actually helping pilots by replying only when they could provide useful information or to add to the thread. This was in contrast to the red board, where a cadre of pilots leapt at any opportunity to display their perceived intelligence, usually at the expense of the poster and adding nothing to the thread. In the last couple of years I've noticed blue is rapidly becoming red. It is a shame.

Not sure of the difference. Elaborate.
A copy and paste post for me:

Checklists can be used as "read and do" lists, "briefing" lists or "did" lists depending on the particular flight phase, the aircraft involved, the pilot's experience with the aircraft and generally, and other factors.

"Read and do" - read a step and do it - is mostly used by new pilots and pilots in new-to-them aircraft as they are learning different cockpit flows. Some, of course, never get past that stage. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

"Briefing" - Best example is before takeoff, especially for those who fly different types aircraft. I use my checklist to "brief" from Vr through the transition to en route climb. I'm kind of hoping no one starts tolling down the runway and then looks at a checklist for the first time to see when to rotate (read-and-do), or, for that matter, takes off and then checks back to see whether they did it right ("did").

"Did" list. Also what some folks will refer to as a real "check" list. That's the flow followed by a check. I think the first one of those taught to most pilots is the preflight inspection - examine a segment of the airplane with a flow and check back to see if you managed to miss something.

I use a combination of "briefing" and "did" usage. "Briefing" for takeoff and before landing. Flow and "did" for most everything else.

I use a combination of "briefing" and "did" usage. "Briefing" for takeoff and before landing. Flow and "did" for most everything else.

This. While you are on the ground having your nose in a checklist is fine. Not so much in the air. Funny thing about me is I used to only use checklists on the ground, and wouldn't use them in the air. Now I only use them in the air and not on the ground. Mostly because the preflight checklists for my aircraft suck.

This. While you are on the ground having your nose in a checklist is fine. Not so much in the air. Funny thing about me is I used to only use checklists on the ground, and wouldn't use them in the air. Now I only use them in the air and not on the ground. Mostly because the preflight checklists for my aircraft suck.

I've had my plane for about 9 years now and have a detailed preflight checklist. I usually just follow a flow for the external parts, no checklist needed, but if I'm not at 100%, or I'm flying with pax, I'll follow a checklist. And I have some critical things that I actually do twice. Once in the cockpit, same thing, and before I take the runway, I follow a flow starting on the floor with fuel selector, cowl flaps, over to pax belts, door lock, then over the panel to the left, terminating with my seat belt. Takes about 10 seconds and I agree, flows are great. One other thing I do right before the takeoff flow. I pull the emergency checklist down off the visor and physically read and simulate performing the steps for a particular failure. I don't plan on using that checklist in flight, but the preflight exercise (hopefully) helps to commit it to memory.

But when I do use the checklist (only for the preflight walkaround), I still think it would be nice to have the tablet reading and listening, if it were technically feasible.

And if a procedure requires items to be done in a specific order, and you do them in the wrong order, and then look at the checklist, isn't it too late?

And if a procedure requires items to be done in a specific order, and you do them in the wrong order, and then look at the checklist, isn't it too late?

My flippant response is that if you did them in the wrong order and you're still looking at the checklist it's not too late.... yet.

Have you some example?

My flippant response is that if you did them in the wrong order and you're still looking at the checklist it's not too late.... yet.

Have you some example?

It's a hypothetical question so no example off-hand. I haven't taken a side in the checklist-flow/dolist argument.

It's a hypothetical question so no example off-hand. I haven't taken a side in the checklist-flow/dolist argument.

Well, in the case of Multi... Turbine, you name it... I'm sure there are things must be done in the correct order. But I think that people flying at that level of complexity also FLOW and CONFIRM, as was the point previously described as "clear" Does that sound like a reasonable viewpoint?

That's going to be pretty rare and most of the time obvious. Yes, one has to prime the engine before turning the key, not after. And it's a pretty good idea to check the freedom and correctness of the flight controls sometime before takeoff and not after.

But other than those few standouts, I'm trying to think of examples where a flow in one direction as opposed to another would make a difference.

Last edited:
Back