Looking at Port Aransas, Texas -- need input

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Mary and I are looking at possibly creating another aviation themed hotel in the Gulf Coast island community of Port Aransas, on Mustang Beach. We spent a few days there over spring break 2 weeks ago (at the suggestion of a few folks here on PofA) and fell in love with the place.

I need to learn everything I can about this place before making a potentially stupid move -- so I am turning to my pilot brothers and sisters for input. What can you tell me about Port Aransas? Can any native Texans give me the low-down on this sandy little barrier island? Good, bad, ugly, I need to hear it all. Most importantly -- is this a place that you'd fly in for a week or a weekend?

What's the local scuttlebutt on Port A?

Thanks in advance...

I grew up in Corpus Christi and spent a lot of time on the island and especially in Port A. What would you like to know?

You have already seen the good- about the best beaches we have in Texas, and the Mustang Island Wildlife Refuge is an awesome destination as well.

What it suffers from is... ummm... not enough appropriate lodging. Hmmm....

...I can get you more scoop, as best I can. I may have to fly there now, you know, for research.

Also, FYI, no state income tax, state franchise tax (on business) is not high.

You are in a coastal area which is subject to hurricanes and tropical storms, so when you build, build with steel-reinforced concrete masonry. Do not be tempted to go cheap. Look at aerial views of hurricane areas, see what's standing.

One thing to keep in mind is the Texas Open Beaches Act. The beach, back to the permanent vegetation line, is public property. If the vegetation line changes, as it does after hurricanes, the property that was previously private but now is between the vegetation line and the water is taken over by the state without compensation, and if you have buildings that are now beyond the vegetation line and are damaged, you will not be allowed to rebuild.

One thing to keep in mind is the Texas Open Beaches Act. The beach, back to the permanent vegetation line, is public property. If the vegetation line changes, as it does after hurricanes, the property that was previously private but now is between the vegetation line and the water is taken over by the state without compensation, and if you have buildings that are now beyond the vegetation line and are damaged, you will not be allowed to rebuild.

...which means, be ready with a buttload of ready-to-plant beach grasses as the storm recedes! :D

But seriously, folks, I think Clan Honeck know a thing or two about disaster planning... Jay M's correct, so bear that in mind.

Port A - interesting little beach town. Like many beach resorts, the place thrives on condo/house rentals as opposed to hotel rooms. That's why there aren't a lot of hotels - most folks go for a week.

The others are correct in re Texas, it's laws, and the propensity for hurricanes. A friend of mine had her 50-year-old beach house near Galveston in the storm this past summer. Mustang beach hasn't had one for some time - it's ripe.

Access: on the north end of the island, car access is by ferry. Long delays on weekends. There is a bridge from Corpus to the island, but that adds an hour to 90 minutes to the ride from San Antonio. My point is (referring back to top paragraph): it's a little harder to make Port A a weekend destination... it's more of a week-long thing.

It's also very boat-oriented. Would aviation theme fly? Dunno. Before Galveston got hit so hard, it might have been ripe for aviation theme connected to the museum that (was/is) at GLS. Dunno whether the museum is still there.

At Port A, at least there is the jitney bus that stops at the airport & takes one into town. Last time I was there, parking at the airport was somewhat limited (Rockport is a much better airport.... but much further away).

the fishing industry makes it more year-round than some beach communities, but that's also a bit of a drawback from an aviation theme.

IMHO, San Antonio would be more of my choice for an aviation theme hotel - its year-round, has attractions & universities, and a great aviation heritage. But that's just my opinion.

Just my $0.02.

I grew up in Corpus Christi and spent a lot of time on the island and especially in Port A. What would you like to know?

Everything.

For example, I heard that there have been terrible jellyfish outbreaks in the recent past. I mean, to the point where you couldn't swim. True?

Also, we rarely saw pleasure boats in the water while we were there. Since this was during spring break -- presumably peak time -- this seemed really odd. Why so few boats/jet skis?

How is property tax? What's the local shake on who goes to Mustang Beach? Families? Only college kids? Port A doesn't seem real ritzy (which, to me, is part of its appeal) -- why is that?

Anything you might think of is appreciated.

Thanks!

The entire gulf coast is subject to the occasional jellyfish problem- I dealt with one of those in the FL panhandle (Panama City Beach) one year. Ouch!

The greater distance from big cities may account for the its relative lack of development- basically, when I was a kid, South Padre was it for Texas coast destinations (or Galveston, but I really would not regard Galveston as the place to do your project, maybe just me, but the island could use some charm school time).

Property taxes in Texas are higher than many places because of the absence of the income tax; there was some rate relief last session (legislature meets every two years) when they created the different business tax (the gross margin tax I referenced above), but many County Appraisers, at the behest of the state's Comptroller, started jacking up appraisals in response. That has been largely dealt-with by the economy and such, and an aggressive and diligent eye on each year's appraisal can deal with that.

Recommend you become familiar with the Coastal Barrier Resources Act if you are thinking about building on a barrier island. The US Fish and Wildlife Service maintains a mapping system, you should check that out, too. Otherwise, someone could sell you an undevelopable piece of ground...

Trapper John

A few years back we did a family reunion there and had a lot of fun. Sue, Lane and I flew to KRAS from Atlanta, so it's definitely a GA destination. We rented condos, which seemed to be the only choice short of going all the way to Corpus Christi. I'd go again.

Attachments

• Our condo from the Mooney.JPG
    Our condo from the Mooney.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • Victoria at KRAS.JPG
    Victoria at KRAS.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 20
A few years back we did a family reunion there and had a lot of fun. Sue, Lane and I flew to KRAS from Atlanta, so it's definitely a GA destination. We rented condos, which seemed to be the only choice short of going all the way to Corpus Christi. I'd go again.

One thing that stood out to us was the sheer volume of GA flying going on in South Texas. We saw more planes in the air between Austin and the Gulf than we normally see in Iowa in a month. There were planes buzzing all over the coastline, and GA seemed to be much, much healthier than it is here.

Therefore, I would think that there would be a huge (relatively speaking, of course) weekend outflow of GA pilots every weekend. The coast is where the fun is, so it logically seems to follow that there is a market.

Right now, tourism is way down and hotels in general are doing poorly. But that will rebound, at some point (I hope!). It's definitely a good time to buy.

Port A - interesting little beach town. Like many beach resorts, the place thrives on condo/house rentals as opposed to hotel rooms. That's why there aren't a lot of hotels - most folks go for a week.

The others are correct in re Texas, it's laws, and the propensity for hurricanes. A friend of mine had her 50-year-old beach house near Galveston in the storm this past summer. Mustang beach hasn't had one for some time - it's ripe.

Access: on the north end of the island, car access is by ferry. Long delays on weekends. There is a bridge from Corpus to the island, but that adds an hour to 90 minutes to the ride from San Antonio. My point is (referring back to top paragraph): it's a little harder to make Port A a weekend destination... it's more of a week-long thing.

It's also very boat-oriented. Would aviation theme fly? Dunno. Before Galveston got hit so hard, it might have been ripe for aviation theme connected to the museum that (was/is) at GLS. Dunno whether the museum is still there.

At Port A, at least there is the jitney bus that stops at the airport & takes one into town. Last time I was there, parking at the airport was somewhat limited (Rockport is a much better airport.... but much further away).

the fishing industry makes it more year-round than some beach communities, but that's also a bit of a drawback from an aviation theme.

IMHO, San Antonio would be more of my choice for an aviation theme hotel - its year-round, has attractions & universities, and a great aviation heritage. But that's just my opinion.

Just my $0.02.

The Lone Star Flight Museum has re-opened for business and is still in the process of rebuilding/repairing. They did cancel their annual airshow that normally takes place during the last weekend of April for this year, but progress is being made. I'm told that their gift shop is back up and better than before. That said, I would not try to open a hotel in Galveston - the market there is already saturated, including the Moody Gardens hotel which is within walking distance from the airport. Other hotels and resorts are but a short cab ride away. Also, even though their tourism department is making a big push for people to come back and visit, the business there hasn't bounced back yet.

San Antonio sounds interesting, and if you picked the right town (New Braunfels - KBAZ, maybe?) you could probably do well. I would not go west of SA, however, as that gets you close to Fredericksburg, which is where the Hangar Hotel is located. If you were to build at BAZ, you will want to strike a deal with one or more of the "Toobing" (misspelling intentional) outfitters there to provide pickup/dropoff service and bring your guests to either the Guadalupe or Comal rivers. In the summertime, that town is booming with toobers. Also, it is in close proximity to Greune (pronounced "Green"), TX, location of the historic Greune Hall, which has some great Texas Country music acts cycling through it all the time.

That said, GA in Southeast Texas is by and large very healthy, and if you open a hotel in Port Aransas and market properly to the various flight schools, flying clubs, and FBO's in Houston and San Antonio, you could wind up with a very healthy business base. We'll even put some of your brochures up in our museum at Hobby! :)

Everything.

For example, I heard that there have been terrible jellyfish outbreaks in the recent past. I mean, to the point where you couldn't swim. True?

Also, we rarely saw pleasure boats in the water while we were there. Since this was during spring break -- presumably peak time -- this seemed really odd. Why so few boats/jet skis?

How is property tax? What's the local shake on who goes to Mustang Beach? Families? Only college kids? Port A doesn't seem real ritzy (which, to me, is part of its appeal) -- why is that?

Anything you might think of is appreciated.

Thanks!

Below is completely non-scientific but based on personal experience surfing, fishing, sailing and swimming for a number of years:
Cabbage heads aren't really a big deal, they will leave your skin feeling like it is on fire but don't really do much. It seems that the times they have swarmed has been in winter when wearing a full suit.
Moon Jellies are nasty. As you paddle along, your hand will come down on the top of one, hitting it. It will release its toxins in the water, essentially lighting it on fire. It can be quite painful.
Man-o-wars simply need to be given plenty of clearance. Stay away from them. Their tentacles are long and hard to see. I have known many friends who have gone to the hospital for bad stings.
For all, tourists need to pretty much stay out of the water when they get bad. It does happen, but not all that often. Some years are worse than others.

The majority of pleasure boaters do not go out into the gulf. They will stay in the bay, laguna, etc. Yes, you will find plenty of opportunities to go off shore fishing but they do not go along the shore so you will not see them from the beach, most of the time. The marina is usually fairly busy as well as the Port A Yacht Club. If you are there during a regatta, you can go down to the docks and ask around, eventually you might get a ride on one of the boats during a race.

To the taxes, I would have to ask my parents. I have not owned there myself.
The majority of kids go to JP Luby, if it is still called that. I haven't really been there since they dredged Packery. It gets to be a bit much. We tended to not surf there as there were too many people. Bob Hall Pier is another popular spot, south along the beach from JP Luby/Packery Channel. Horace Caldwell Pier in Port A gets crazy in spring break as well. Most families go to Mustang Island State Park at Fish Pass as there is a fee to get in and it keeps most undesirables out. Although, it is very easy to drive down the beach from the North, park at the jetties and cross over, but normally only surfers do that.

Port A is definitely not ritzy. The main reason is that Port A is a fishing/shrimping community, not a resort town. This, like you said, is its charm. The ones with money who live there moved out to Port A to get away from the social scene in Corpus. There is also a large local contigent who do not have money. If you haven't been there already, go to Beuhlah's which has moved to the flats and is called The Pelican Club now.

I looked at your website and really like the idea. I, personally, would love to stay there. That said, I do not know how well it will go over there on the island. Most people that travel to stay there from out of town want to stay on the water. I guarantee that spring break will be a booming business for you but they will trash your rooms. That said, it could go over well. Port A could use a new and interesting place to stay. Most of the places are really old.

As far as hurricanes, if you are there long enough you will experience one. The storm surge, alone, well away from a storm, can be fairly destructive. Quite a few homes in Padre Isles have had to rebuild decks and first floors from storms that made landfall miles away. The "coastal bend" is due for a major storm. We have dodged the bullet a number of times the past couple of decades. I have family in Pensacola and know all too well how lucky we have been.

Last edited:
Below is completely non-scientific but based on personal experience surfing, fishing, sailing and swimming for a number of years:
Cabbage heads aren't really a big deal, they will leave your skin feeling like it is on fire but don't really do much. It seems that the times they have swarmed has been in winter when wearing a full suit.
Moon Jellies are nasty. As you paddle along, your hand will come down on the top of one, hitting it. It will release its toxins in the water, essentially lighting it on fire. It can be quite painful.
Man-o-wars simply need to be given plenty of clearance. Stay away from them. Their tentacles are long and hard to see. I have known many friends who have gone to the hospital for bad stings.
For all, tourists need to pretty much stay out of the water when they get bad. It does happen, but not all that often. Some years are worse than others.

The majority of pleasure boaters do not go out into the gulf. They will stay in the bay, laguna, etc. Yes, you will find plenty of opportunities to go off shore fishing but they do not go along the shore so you will not see them from the beach, most of the time. The marina is usually fairly busy as well as the Port A Yacht Club. If you are there during a regatta, you can go down to the docks and ask around, eventually you might get a ride on one of the boats during a race.

To the taxes, I would have to ask my parents. I have not owned there myself.
The majority of kids go to JP Luby, if it is still called that. I haven't really been there since they dredged Packery. It gets to be a bit much. We tended to not surf there as there were too many people. Bob Hall Pier is another popular spot, south along the beach from JP Luby/Packery Channel. Horace Caldwell Pier in Port A gets crazy in spring break as well. Most families go to Mustang Island State Park at Fish Pass as there is a fee to get in and it keeps most undesirables out. Although, it is very easy to drive down the beach from the North, park at the jetties and cross over, but normally only surfers do that.

Port A is definitely not ritzy. The main reason is that Port A is a fishing/shrimping community, not a resort town. This, like you said, is its charm. The ones with money who live there moved out to Port A to get away from the social scene in Corpus. There is also a large local contigent who do not have money. If you haven't been there already, go to Beuhlah's which has moved to the flats and is called The Pelican Club now.

I looked at your website and really like the idea. I, personally, would love to stay there. That said, I do not know how well it will go over there on the island. Most people that travel to stay there from out of town want to stay on the water. I guarantee that spring break will be a booming business for you but they will trash your rooms. That said, it could go over well. Port A could use a new and interesting place to stay. Most of the places are really old.

As far as hurricanes, if you are there long enough you will experience one. The storm surge, alone, well away from a storm, can be fairly destructive. Quite a few homes in Padre Isles have had to rebuild decks and first floors from storms that made landfall miles away. The "coastal bend" is due for a major storm. We have dodged the bullet a number of times the past couple of decades. I have family in Pensacola and know all too well how lucky we have been.

Thanks for all that. We're at the start of working our way slowly through the process.

Back