Look, Ma. No Instructor!

billwil

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Billwil
Hey, everyone! Looks like there's an outbreak of solos.

I just did my first and second solo's this past week (Tuesday and Wednesday), but I'm just getting around to posting because I couldn't reach my keyboard from cloud 9.

I just released the next epidsode in my Student Pilot Cast podcast about it as well, so go to http://www.studentpilotcast.com for some pictures and Episode 6 to get the gory details, including the in cockpit audio from my very first solo trip around the pattern. More details to follow as well.

Suffice it to say...it was a great two days...I really enjoyed this milestone in my training. It was interesting, though, I felt a little more nervous the second day...maybe it was the anticipation, who knows?

Thanks for everyone's support thus far. I think I really am gonna be a pilot. :yes:

Nothing like a bunch of people taking their first solos! :)

Congrats, Bill! Keep flying!

Congratulations, Bill! That's great news!

Thanks for everyone's support thus far. I think I really am gonna be a pilot. :yes:

Dude, if you've successfully controlled a plane through startup, taxi, takeoff, flight, landing, taxi, and shutdown by yourself - you're ALREADY a pilot!

Congrats Bill!! I just listened to the podcast this morning. Keep up the good work.

That's a special feeling, isn't it? About downwind on the first trip around the pattern you realize that there's nobody on the planet who can help you get down safely, you're on your own. And, boy does that thing climb without that CFI weighting it down. :yes:

Congratulations, bird man!

Glad to hear you soloed! You'll never forget it! It's your first step to freedom.

There are three things I remember most about my first solo: the beautiful sunset on downwind, the desire to do exactly what I was trained to do, and boy the airplane performs better without that heavy weight in the right seat!

Last edited:
Congratulations, dude! I'm so happy to see so many solos happening right now!

I'm guessing its time of year. Great weather nationwide!

Glad to hear you soloed! You'll never forget it! It's your first step to freedom.

There are three things I remember most about my first solo: the beautiful sunset on downwind, the desire to do exactly what I was trained to do, and boy the airplane performs better without that heavy weight in the right seat!

You didn't, like me, think, "Who sent me up here alone...are they crazy?!?" :) Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Dude, if you've successfully controlled a plane through startup, taxi, takeoff, flight, landing, taxi, and shutdown by yourself - you're ALREADY a pilot!

That's what they tell me. I guess it just feels strange. Thanks, though. I'm still stoked I got to do this and it's been over a week!

You didn't, like me, think, "Who sent me up here alone...are they crazy?!?" :) Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Oh, I certainly thought that. It goes away after a while. Just make sure you don't replace it with "Of course they let me up here alone! I'm God's gift to aviation!" :)

Also remember that in Tristan's case, the aircraft had a much greater increase in performance than for you or me on any of our first solos, so it would be that much more noticable. ;)

Back