Look at your pilot cert

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Pull your pilot certificate out of your wallet/flightbag/logbook and take a look. Did you know the Wright Flyer's struts are made out of writing? Same things on the back except it's Wilbur and Orville's clothing, and the Wright Flyer's wings. I've had my cert for many years and I never knew that. I can't quite make out what it says though.

Neat... never noticed. Had my daughter go get her magnifying glass and there's several verses on there.... I'm going to see if I can find something better because I can still barely see it....

I believe it is the text from the speach Marion Blakey gave at the Centenial of Flight celebration.

Last edited:
So this is the best that my scanner can do...
part3.jpg
part1.png
part2.png
part4.png
part5.png

Whoops, never signed the back of mine. Is that bad?

Okay, this is the coolest thing I've learned today! Unfortunately some of the text is obscured by the privileges on the front and the signature area on the back. Still, super cool! Thanks for posting!

Yeah, I knew it was writing from the get go. Wasn't that hard to notice. Didn't care enough to figure out what it said.

Wait a minute! Mine doesn’t say that!
Let me get a magnifying glass.

It says..
“You... may..have..this now, but...our.... undying.. goal..is...to take it away from you. Your friends at the FAA”!

Whoops, never signed the back of mine. Is that bad?

When the nose gear collapsed on my 182RG in Greensboro (with a FSDO at the field), I had three FAA guys talking to me before the engine cooled. Gave them all my paperwork and after a minute main guy says "Mr. Johnston, do you realize that your pilot's certificate is invalid?" I started to get a little faint at that point. After a moment he grinned and said "You didn't sign it." I had just wrecked the second most expensive thing I owned and this guy is trying out his comedy routine. I almost killed a federal employee that day.

thewritinghere,asthestrutofthewrightflyerisjustareminderthatwhatkeepsairplanesintheairisnotstructure,noraerodynamics;airplanesonlyflybecauseofwordswrittenbyFAAcounsel!

When the nose gear collapsed on my 182RG in Greensboro (with a FSDO at the field), I had three FAA guys talking to me before the engine cooled. Gave them all my paperwork and after a minute main guy says "Mr. Johnston, do you realize that your pilot's certificate is invalid?" I started to get a little faint at that point. After a moment he grinned and said "You didn't sign it." I had just wrecked the second most expensive thing I owned and this guy is trying out his comedy routine. I almost killed a federal employee that day.

When I showed my student pilot certificate to my dpe, he said the same thing. I don't think he was kidding either...no grin or anything; told me to sign it before we could proceed. That was a fun way to set the tone for the day.

I can't imagine someone trying to make a joke after you just went through an airplane crash though. That's just mean lol.

Just trying to lighten the mood...granted I wouldn't have been in the mood for it either.

okay! I can read it now. It reads “Garlic Powder.”:)
And yet my wife insists on filling it with garlic salt. Drives me nuts. Change the label woman!

Mine is not wife approved, but then hardly anything is!

It's very tough to make out, but it looks like it says, "It is written - Man shall not fly by lift alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the the General Counsel of the FAA."

It's very tough to make out, but it looks like it says, "It is written - Man shall not fly by lift alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the the General Counsel of the FAA."

“This writing also serves as the eye chart for your next medical.” ;)

Someone posted here about this long long ago or I wouldn’t know, but it’s still cool to be reminded.

Everyone has to decide if you’re the bald guy or the other one, since it’s been against the law for FAA not to have photos on them for a very long time now... :)

Everyone has to decide if you’re the bald guy or the other one, since it’s been against the law for FAA not to have photos on them for a very long time now... :)

SHHHHHHHH!!!!

Let lying dogs sleep.

If you poke at this, the FAA is likely to declare all certificates without the pilot’s picture to be invalid and we’ll all have to repeat our checkrides.

Back