Longer trip starting in the Northeast - what is feasible given COVID (looking for ideas)

jdangel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
JeffInBoston
A bit of an open ended question here, but I want to take a long trip this summer perhaps early to mid July in my Cherokee 180. IFR Equipped, however I am a conservative IFR flier and am just getting current again so I will absolutely file, but am not looking for storm dodging in the summer so will most likely fly early in the day.

I have probably a couple of weeks and can be flexible given that if weather stops me a bit I can just work remotely instead of vacation for that portion.

- Can be multiple destinations rather than just a single one - the idea here is “road trip” in the air
- Beaches are nice, but just flying as far west as possible is an idea as well.
- I have been thinking (directionally): Texas, Nevada, Florida, Carolinas, etc. so basically all over the place. Bahamas would have even been a choice or even the Keys, but uncertain what is open.

What I am concerned about is the status of the various places with regards to shutdown. Things like Beaches, tourist type activities, restaurants, etc.

Anyone want to throw some ideas out there?

mid-July in the southeast can be pretty brutal with heat and humidity. What about heading to Great Lakes beaches? A quick google search suggests that Michigan beaches are open with proper social distancing. I've also heard Put-In Bay in Ohio is pretty nice. I haven't done it yet, but one of my flying goals has been to airstrip & island hop in the Great Lakes.

Fly in the morning, don’t be so tied to the schedule. I fly to Gulf coast of Florida all the time and I’m VFR only. ForeFlight and wisdom will keep you safe.

The beaches are open, some would argue too open. Restaurants are allowing 50% dine in and getting really good at take out or delivery. To the West, I’d probably look at the less affected Covid states and read up on what is available.

I’m assuming wherever you go from the Northeast is gonna shock you in how much is open for business. Be wise, stay safe.

Is should’ve added that the beach rentals are really cheaper than the past five years also.

Pretty much everything in Destin is opened. I flew down here yesterday.
a0e5b3cdd27093a989958c6eb1f3f4bb.jpg

North Carolina has opened up a lot already. I was in Hatteras a week or so ago, and most of the restautants were at least offering takeout or curbside pickup. Accomadations there are very full, though, and the prices are not lower in that area! It was beautiful.

Be sure to check with the FBO’s at planned stops. Some are business as usual, while others are are very limited in services.

I wanted to do the same kind of trip. But have other commitments.
I was looking to running along the US Canada border to Vancouver (cross at the end).
Only places when I called did you really have to plan around was Michigan and Illinois

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

I believe the Bahamas will be open July 1st, pretty sure the sandals resorts will be opening too. Exuma is pretty exotic and definitely awesome beaches.

Try a trip from mass to South Carolina or Georgia islands. Plenty of alternate airports along the route. Gas gets cheaper as you go south. I did a trip from kowd to Alaska along the Alan highway, was mostly VFR. Not sure Canada is open.

Given 2 weeks, I would go far west. I have flown all over, and here are my recommended highlights (all from the air):
Area 1 (all pretty close):
- Canyonlands National Park
- Lake Powell
- Grand Canyon
- Monument Valley
Area 2 (spread, but all form a nice curved path):
- High Sierras in CA, including Yosemite (not sure of your ceiling)
- Cascades (from Shasta to Rainier)
- North Cascades
- Glacier National Park
- Yellowstone/Grand Teton
All of these will blow your mind. Just get ready to take lots of photos.

You'll want to go to bed early and wake up for a dawn departure, then be done flying by 11-ish.

Thinking strongly about Mackinaw.

I was hoping to get to the island this summer too, but with the Governor of Michigan overly restricting everything, I don't know how much will be open right now. Hopefully, that changes soon.

So I think I may do a coast to coast trip, I am looking at threads on the subject and planning a route and am very interested in any pointers to past flight plans or blogs people have written about their experiences.

Yes, I can and will plan my own route but it is always good to read experiences of others especially regarding stops, best ways to cross the Rockies, etc

So I think I may do a coast to coast trip, I am looking at threads on the subject and planning a route and am very interested in any pointers to past flight plans or blogs people have written about their experiences.

Mine is: http://beetlejuiceadventure.wordpress.com
...for a route which was roughly: Alaska -> Wisconsin -> South Dakota -> Idaho -> California -> Arizona, through the south (NM, TX, AL, GA) to Florida, then -> South Carolina -> West Virginia, and then I got stuck here because of COVID. It's a long read, but you might enjoy...

Last edited:
...for a route which was roughly: Alaska -> Wisconsin -> South Dakota -> Idaho -> California -> Arizona, through the south (NM, TX, AL, GA) to Florida, then -> South Carolina -> West Virginia, and then I got stick here because of COVID. It's a long read, but you might enjoy...

Kath,
What a great read so far, I am working through it. These type of blogs inspire me so much and I am intending on creating something similar during my trip as well.

Thanks!

Maine is a problem and may still be this summer.

What shut down? Was just in Hilton Head on Mon and Tues. Most restaurants had inside seating, beaches full, no one except waiters (and a few who didn't) were wearing masks. No distances in lines, etc.

I'd be more concerned today with rioting / looting vs shutdown. Hope in a few weeks that goes away as well.

Maine anticipates continuing imposition of a 14 day quarantine on anyone entering from outside the state THROUGH AUGUST. Forget any trip or vacation to Maine.

https://www.maine.gov/covid19/restartingmaine

That sucks, We're headed to NH for a few days in July then back down to RI and I had planned lunch in Booth Bay Harbor for a lobster roll for lunch.

That sucks, We're headed to NH for a few days in July then back down to RI and I had planned lunch in Booth Bay Harbor for a lobster roll for lunch.
Yep, I was going to go this summer on a combo business/personal trip. But if they don't want visitors, I'm happy to oblige. Same with Hawaii. Too many other nice places to go. Even Alaska has loosened up.

It'll be New Hampshire for me instead.

...for a route which was roughly: Alaska -> Wisconsin -> South Dakota -> Idaho -> California -> Arizona, through the south (NM, TX, AL, GA) to Florida, then -> South Carolina -> West Virginia, and then I got stuck here because of COVID. It's a long read, but you might enjoy...
The real nice thing about your travel log through Alaska is that I can really enjoy the common experiences we have both had. At Whitehorse, I had my oil changed at Roldan. They were also kind enough to allow me to park overnight for free. While I didn’t stay overnight at the FBO in Fort Nelson, I remember that room well after paying my fuel bill. That was some scenery on the Alaska highway from Watson Lake to Fort Nelson, and it was beautiful just north of Anchorage in the pass next to Matanuska and that last pass before Tok. I can say though that the most anxiety was coordinating with US customs through the flawed system while titrating the weather on the way back.

A bit of an open ended question here, but I want to take a long trip this summer perhaps early to mid July in my Cherokee 180. IFR Equipped, however I am a conservative IFR flier and am just getting current again so I will absolutely file, but am not looking for storm dodging in the summer so will most likely fly early in the day.

I have probably a couple of weeks and can be flexible given that if weather stops me a bit I can just work remotely instead of vacation for that portion.

- Can be multiple destinations rather than just a single one - the idea here is “road trip” in the air
- Beaches are nice, but just flying as far west as possible is an idea as well.
- I have been thinking (directionally): Texas, Nevada, Florida, Carolinas, etc. so basically all over the place. Bahamas would have even been a choice or even the Keys, but uncertain what is open.

What I am concerned about is the status of the various places with regards to shutdown. Things like Beaches, tourist type activities, restaurants, etc.

Anyone want to throw some ideas out there?
I envy your ability to work remotely. As you have noted, this allows you to be so flexible in scheduling your flights and provides the opportunity to really get in longer trips than the rest of us. I usually can only muster at most 17 days at a chunk before I need to get back. And I think direct deposit of your funds with remote banking make it possible to replenish your your plastic while on the go.

A mid-summer trip seems pretty obvious: The high Rockies where is will be cool, green, visibility usually unlimited and with spectacular scenery. And scenery is always open and free and social distancing so easy. The west coast mountains tend to be hot and dry mid-summer since they only get winter moisture. Go to Yosemite in May NOT July.

Back