Longer Term NYC Airport?

I just remember a $25 ramp fee just to pick up a passenger at HPN... in a light single, no parking. And this was a while ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably. I think I remember paying a similar fee at MillionAir. I opted to pay the fee rather than pay for gas and get the fee waived because it was cheaper.

Well, she wouldn't call them "awesome", but my wife uses them for her daily commute to work (Valley Stream to Penn) and she says it's pretty good. In her experience, they are mostly on time. She gives the LIRR a 9 out of 10.

Occasionally (a few times a year), we go into Manhattan via the LIRR to shop, take in a Broadway play or jazz concert and my experience is the same.
I'm not doubting your experience though, YMMV.

In years past I would agree with your wife but this year has been horrendous. Today the LIRR was 1 hour delayed because of issues. It's like once a week a major delay like this effects commuters. It's hard to support that level of incompetence but it's still better than driving in!

Anyway sorry to derail the OP's thread. I don't have any experience with Farmingdale only Islip and Brookhaven. Brookhaven is not accessible by mass transit but Islip is. It's about 20 or so minutes past Farmingdale but I believe there is a shuttle that runs from the Ronkonkoma train station to the airport. Islip is a great airport so if you have no luck at Farmingdale give Islip a try.

LIRR blows. Seems like every week there's some sort of maintenance and delay.

Last edited:
I would find an airport WEST of the Class B airspace.

Why?

Well if you are going anywhere to the northeast, like the Cape or Boston or Portland or ice cream and Lobsta at Kimball Farms, then you simply go up and around .

If you are going south - its easy to depart to the south or west - and honestly - there is nothing to the east really - Montauk can be reached by the train in less time - and Republic or Suffolk? Again - the LIRR will get you there without having to cross the Class Bravo. Not that its a problem to get across - but - sometimes its a hassle.

In years past I would agree with your wife but this year has been horrendous. Today the LIRR was 1 hour delayed because of issues. It's like once a week a major delay like this effects commuters. It's hard to support that level of incompetence but it's still better than driving in!

Anyway sorry to derail the OP's thread. I don't have any experience with Farmingdale only Islip and Brookhaven. Brookhaven is not accessible by mass transit but Islip is. It's about 20 or so minutes past Farmingdale but I believe there is a shuttle that runs from the Ronkonkoma train station to the airport. Islip is a great airport so if you have no luck at Farmingdale give Islip a try.
Islip would probably be a better choice. Way less traffic and like you said, there's a rail stop right by the airport. Not sure about fees but I have a student that keeps his plane at Shelt Air and they seem like nice people and the plane is always pulled out and fueled when the owner wants it to be.

I would find an airport WEST of the Class B airspace.

Why?

Well if you are going anywhere to the northeast, like the Cape or Boston or Portland or ice cream and Lobsta at Kimball Farms, then you simply go up and around .

If you are going south - its easy to depart to the south or west - and honestly - there is nothing to the east really - Montauk can be reached by the train in less time - and Republic or Suffolk? Again - the LIRR will get you there without having to cross the Class Bravo. Not that its a problem to get across - but - sometimes its a hassle.

Disagree, if you're going to the cape or New England you'd rather be east. You just get a squawk and head direct on your way. And if you're headed west or south, most times I get direct JFK and on my way. No big deal.

Yea the NY guys are awesome. Even when the frequency is congested, they'll still work the VFr traffic in. They are very efficient and are really good to the GA folks.

Yea the NY guys are awesome. Even when the frequency is congested, they'll still work the VFr traffic in. They are very efficient and are really good to the GA folks.

Very true. Unlike the Chicago area where anything that doesn't have 100+ passengers is treated like crap. And I fly in both areas all the time.

Very true. Unlike the Chicago area where anything that doesn't have 100+ passengers is treated like crap. And I fly in both areas all the time.
I've heard that about Chicago. I've only flown there for work so I don't know what it's like for GA but I hear it's not the best. I've flown GA into most of the Class B airports on the east coast and I haven't really had any issues.

Yep, if going low-level one can request via heli routes to transition the Bravo, or take the south shore under 500 and skirt the Bravo. It's never a big deal either way, and like you, I've never been denied. From FRG I've taken the Track route to the Park route, and been on my way if going southwest and if northwest, requesting over top LGA tower cab then North Tip followed by Central Park. Simple.

Yep, if going low-level one can request via heli routes to transition the Bravo, or take the south shore under 500 and skirt the Bravo. It's never a big deal either way, and like you, I've never been denied. From FRG I've taken the Track route to the Park route, and been on my way if going southwest and if northwest, requesting over top LGA tower cab then North Tip followed by Central Park. Simple.
NY TraCON WANTS us to call them up. They'd rather be talking to us than wonder wtf we're gonna be doing next. . . .

Lincoln Park is probably the most affordable and is reasonable distance to NYC. Not sure what the hangar availability is but there seems to be tons of tie-down space. N07 is much easier than it used to be as all of the trees on both ends have been cleared, they are no longer a factor. Just be prepared for the comically high mins on the RNAV (GPS) RWY 19. If the ceiling is 1100ft or less, you're going to CDW for the day. All that said, I've probably only had to to divert to CDW 6-7 times in 10 years of flying out of N07.

NY TraCON WANTS us to call them up. They'd rather be talking to us than wonder wtf we're gonna be doing next. . . .
Yep, definitely wouldn't recommend flying the VFR transition routes without squawking and talking. JFK and LGA both have freqs for helis and low-level terminal area traffic, and they'd rather hear from a plane squawking 1200 than not. Pilots think they're bothering the tower with a call, but the NYC guys are happy to tag you up and give advisories.

Lincoln Park is probably the most affordable and is reasonable distance to NYC. Not sure what the hangar availability is but there seems to be tons of tie-down space. N07 is much easier than it used to be as all of the trees on both ends have been cleared, they are no longer a factor. Just be prepared for the comically high mins on the RNAV (GPS) RWY 19. If the ceiling is 1100ft or less, you're going to CDW for the day. All that said, I've probably only had to to divert to CDW 6-7 times in 10 years of flying out of N07.
I've flown into Lincoln Park, IIRC there's a decent restaurant on field and the FBO let us use their computers to take the Hudson River SFRA Course.

I won't have a car, do you know if there's public transport to/from manhattan? Looks like 30 miles by Uber/Lyft. Thx.

I've flown into Lincoln Park, IIRC there's a decent restaurant on field and the FBO let us use their computers to take the Hudson River SFRA Course.

I won't have a car, do you know if there's public transport to/from manhattan? Looks like 30 miles by Uber/Lyft. Thx.
I've taken public transit to N07. There's a bus from Port Authority that takes you about a mile from N07. I brought my bike on the bus and rode that to the airport, but you could walk from the bus stop in 20-30mins or take a $5 Uber.

No hangars over at N07, I've been bugging Pete every time I see him because that's where I'd like to keep my Extra after I'm done assembling it and getting the insurance transition training.

And the food is awesome at Sunset, I love it.

Linden Airpark is also an option. I flew out of CDW and HPN quite a bit, you'll need a car for those... The nice thing about HPN is you don't need to pay tolls to get there (if you do it right...)

For N07, Mike's got the right idea, take a Port Authority bus to the Pompton Plains and Uber the rest. Or, Uber/Lyft the whole thing if you want to do it all on your schedule.

You have all been extremely helpful, thank you. I flew east the last two days and am now visiting family in Maine and Mass. Had tentatively decided on Lincoln Park and was planning on flying down this weekend as weather allows, but I see a VIP TFR for NJ, anyone know if that is POTUS golfing in NJ? Giving the Mara Lago area flyers a break for the summer? If so, might tip the scale back to FRG. Thanks.

Just want to give a +1 to the Sheltair folks at Republic. They went way out of their way for me once.

Comically high minimums is a great way to put it!

Although there is always the unofficial RNAV 22 @ CDW circle runway 19 @ N07 approach...

In my defense Uber didn't exist when I was tackling this problem from Manhattan...

And the cab companies at the FRG LIRR Station think they have some kind of legal monopoly (maybe a city ordinance?) for train station pick-ups, and will scream at any Uber driver that shows up. I've literally had to get in the front seat of an Uber instead of the back and say "just pretend you're my friend real quick"

@Cogito,

Don't know where you are going in NYC, but if you are amenable to a train ride KPOU, Poukeepsie, may be a viable option. I have a friend who flies out of there and regularly commutes to downtown NYC. Fuel and tie downs at KPOU are cheap by New York standards. Metro North provides good commuter train service at regular intervals.

but I see a VIP TFR for NJ, anyone know if that is POTUS golfing in NJ? Giving the Mara Lago area flyers a break for the summer? If so, might tip the scale back to FRG. Thanks.

First, the President has not been as regular in his visits to Bedminster NJ as he was to Mar A Lago. This is IIRC only the 2nd time he's visited this summer (maybe 3rd).

Also, Lincoln Park is outside the main 10 mile no fly ring so flying into and out of there isn't much of an issue (although it is within the 10 mile ring for the brief, ca. 1 hour, TFR to cover the president helicopter flight into KMMU). Maybe if your primary departure direction was to the southeast it might be better to deal with the Bravo transition from KFRG then down the Jersey coastline than trying to get clearance to fly the shorter route around the east side of the TFR or fly the long way around to the west. Anything else would either be unaffected by the TFR (departure to the north or east), or worse for FRG than Lincoln Park (departure to the southwest/west where a flight from FRG would have to go way north or south around the TFR).

So while the TFR is an inconvenience for Lincoln Park, it isn't a deal killer (IMO).

The answer, for me, for now, is Lincoln Park. The bus is less convenient than the 12 min. drive to my hangar back home, but only $10. Lyft is $50-$100 depending on surge pricing, etc. Turns out Republic doesn't have tie-downs available anyway. There's a long waiting list and tie-downs are expensive if they do become available.

People at Lincoln Park Airport are so far congenial (even the Bonanza drivers) and the airport manager has been accommodating.

Bus info, in case it's any help to others in my situation:
NJ Transit 194 Bus. The stop closest to Lincoln Park Airport is:
Newark Pomptom Turnpike at New St. (About a mile walk.)
You can buy ticket on the NJ Transit app. Hint, this bus stop is in the town of Pequannock.

On the trip from Port Authority bus station in Manhattan you want:
Gate 233 (Door 2)

Thanks everyone for all the help.
-Craig

Craig, welcome to N07! A quick local note, you'll notice the CDW Delta is very close to the south end of the airport. The airport manager at CDW has assured everyone in numerous pilot meetings that you can enter the CDW Delta while departing runway 19R at N07 as long as you don't go any further south than the train line. It doesn't give you a ton of room, but it's enough to turn west or north to get outta there, or enough time to swap to CDW tower and call them for a formal transition.

If you need a ride from the bus stop to N07, I'll shoot you my cell and if I can pick you up, I will (I live about 5 mins from N07). I normally work from home and have a flexible schedule.

If you'd like to meet some local pilots, check out Mid Atlantic Pilots Association on Meetup, they have a meeting coming up on Thursday to review ICAO flight plans. There's also NEPilots on Meetup, they have fly outs pretty regularly.

Craig, welcome to N07! A quick local note, you'll notice the CDW Delta is very close to the south end of the airport. The airport manager at CDW has assured everyone in numerous pilot meetings that you can enter the CDW Delta while departing runway 19R at N07 as long as you don't go any further south than the train line. It doesn't give you a ton of room, but it's enough to turn west or north to get outta there, or enough time to swap to CDW tower and call them for a formal transition.

If you need a ride from the bus stop to N07, I'll shoot you my cell and if I can pick you up, I will (I live about 5 mins from N07). I normally work from home and have a flexible schedule.

If you'd like to meet some local pilots, check out Mid Atlantic Pilots Association on Meetup, they have a meeting coming up on Thursday to review ICAO flight plans. There's also NEPilots on Meetup, they have fly outs pretty regularly.
Did I not just say how helpful Lincoln Park Pilots are?! btw, one of the nice Bonanza pilots I met there today mistook my plane for a Lancair, which I took as a compliment.~~~~

@Cogito,

Don't know where you are going in NYC, but if you are amenable to a train ride KPOU, Poukeepsie, may be a viable option. I have a friend who flies out of there and regularly commutes to downtown NYC. Fuel and tie downs at KPOU are cheap by New York standards. Metro North provides good commuter train service at regular intervals.

I just checked the train schedules. The train from Grand Central to Poughkeepsie is just about 2 hours one way and the cost for a 10 trip ticket is $120 or so... If you can qualify for a senior ticket the price is less.... KPOU is 8 miles from the POU station.

Did I not just say how helpful Lincoln Park Pilots are?! btw, one of the nice Bonanza pilots I met there today mistook my plane for a Lancair, which I took as a compliment.~~~~

If anything I can give you my number as well, I'm over at N07 flying the R22 occasionally, my Extra is in LI for now.

Was based at LDJ for 6 years, IMHO, it's the best kept secret for GA in the metro area. Ten years at FRG before that. Easy access from Mahattan via Penn Station or easy by car compared to Long Island.

Tie downs were $125, might be $150 now, so I believe it's on par with FRG Echo area. Good Luck with you search.

The answer, for me, for now, is Lincoln Park. The bus is less convenient than the 12 min. drive to my hangar back home, but only $10. Lyft is $50-$100 depending on surge pricing, etc. Turns out Republic doesn't have tie-downs available anyway. There's a long waiting list and tie-downs are expensive if they do become available.

People at Lincoln Park Airport are so far congenial (even the Bonanza drivers) and the airport manager has been accommodating.

Bus info, in case it's any help to others in my situation:
NJ Transit 194 Bus. The stop closest to Lincoln Park Airport is:
Newark Pomptom Turnpike at New St. (About a mile walk.)
You can buy ticket on the NJ Transit app. Hint, this bus stop is in the town of Pequannock.

On the trip from Port Authority bus station in Manhattan you want:
Gate 233 (Door 2)

Thanks everyone for all the help.
-Craig

Not FRG airport tie downs. I was paying $50 a week at Sheltair's tie downs. Every FBO has its own ramp and own tie down areas.

Back