Long XC for CPL

He didn't. He looked it up. I look up info all the time when responding. It took me 19 seconds (rounded and timed with stopwatch) to open up a new tab on firefox, log into 1800wxbrief, click on the map, punch in RYY and LOU and get the result. You posted at 10:48, he posted at 1:20. That gave him about 2.5 hours to get the info, which is about 2.5 hours more than needed.
Wow - taking time to dig into that detail of the post, fact checking - that is dedication to the POA!

I think there are some subtle but important differences in the instructional techniques used on the two flights.

Private dual cross-country: "That looks like your first landmark. We're a bit to the left, so let's talk through how not to
get lost before the next one."

Commercial dual cross-country: "How are you still getting lost at this point? I hope you wrote down the number for that truck driving school we saw."
:)

I need to find the regulations from 1978 to see what the requirements were then, because I remember different rules when I did my long XC.
I am from the same era and they were in fact different then.

Wow - taking time to dig into that detail of the post, fact checking - that is dedication to the POA!
Looks like this has already been resolved, but I was impressed you managed to cut it so close to the 250 nm limit so I punched it into Foreflight out of curiosity. I already had it open while planning another flight of mine so it really only took a few seconds to paste it in.

If the map in my signature implied I'm based in the same place as you are, then maybe it would be conceivable I memorized all the ~250 nm destinations when planning my CPL cross country... if you transfer to KANP I'll give you a run for your money on that one.

Reactions: WDD
The OP should fly up to Dawson City, Yellowknife, Fort St. James, and even make a stop at Nelson.

Kids these days have it easy.

Back in my day, it was a route with three legs and each one 200 NM from the start point, or something like that...
200 miles out, 300 back- all uphill, with headwind, in the snow, no lighting except for an old Kerosene lamp, …..

And by the way, I did mine all IMC at night and picked up some scary ice over the Sierras.

When the sun came up, I was over San Francisco on top of a thick layer.

And picked up a hitchhiker wearing a hockey mask.

200 miles out, 300 back- all uphill, with headwind, in the snow, no lighting except for an old Kerosene lamp, …..
I swear I have headwind on 85% of flights and when I have a tailwind it is 2 knots or so

You had a kerosene lamp?!? We had to snag lighting bugs out of the slipstream to light the cockpit.

The runway in Guymon, OK is crested… it’s uphill in both directions. I think it’s the runway my parents walked to school along.

I need to find the regulations from 1978 to see what the requirements were then, because I remember different rules when I did my long XC.

Is there an archive somewhere?

I was thinking the same thing. I recall for Private, 2 or 3 cross countries, triangles with each leg a certain minimum distance. IIRC, two at 25 mile legs and one at 50 mile legs.

Commercial was similar, but longer legs. I got my Comm from Mil Equivalency, but did my Comm RH in the early 90s with a similar XC requirement. I did my Private RH XC to Comm requirements to count for both.

Is there any sort of maximum distance?

For example you have to remain within 5,000 nm of your take off point.

My longer PPL solo almost counted! L45-KIFP-KDAG-L45 .. 218 nm straight-line between L45 and KIFP.

Back