Long Distance flight planning advice

gitmo234

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
gitmo234
Long Distance flight planning From MD to MI advice

Ladies and Gents,

I've flown my C172 from Indianapolis to Maryland once, but it was with an instructor. We did run into some mild weather (rain) along the way, almost had to land and wait it out, but honestly, it wasnt bad.

I'm now planning a flight a few weeks out from Maryland to KCMX in michigan. A cursory look at skyvector gives me some work on routing around things, etc, and I'll work that out

I'm looking for advice on the general area from Detroit to KCMX. I have to stop in detroit for a day or two, then fly up to KCMX, returning to home station from there.

Any pireps for the route or regarding the general area?

Last edited:
I just came back from the U.P. of MI. I like KOGM better than CMX, no fees and easily drive right up to the plane for loading and unloading. But if CMX is where your contacts are, by all means go there.

On any longer flight the weather is the biggie. Check ahead of time, be willing to land short and hole up when called for. I'd rather not leave on a longer trip unless weather shows a good likelihood of making it. At times one can land a bit short and get a ride.

You can always take the skinny part of Lake Michigan(somewhere near Beaver Island maybe?) to keep it as direct as possible with safety in mind. I like to check the winds to find the best general altitudes. Of course over water a little altitude is good regardless of winds.

I do have XM weather, which can be really helpful at times.

Last edited:
If you are VFR only, always have a plan B, C, D, and E in case weather goes to crap.

Charlevoix --> Over Beaver Island --> CMX.

I make the flight to 6Y9 (due south of CMX) a lot. My flight planning is look out the window and go/not go.

Once over the UP there is no where to land. It's all trees in the west half. If it looks like an open area, it's probably clear cut logging.

Charlevoix --> Over Beaver Island --> CMX.

I make the flight to 6Y9 (due south of CMX) a lot. My flight planning is look out the window and go/not go.

Once over the UP there is no where to land. It's all trees in the west half. If it looks like an open area, it's probably clear cut logging.

Makes for a bumpy landing.

So for you guys experienced in the area, are most days typically VFR or is it more hit and miss up there

Makes for a bumpy landing.

So for you guys experienced in the area, are most days typically VFR or is it more hit and miss up there

With Superior and Michigan forecasts are hit and miss unless there's a high pressure system dominating the area. And even then it can be crap in Marquette, and great in Houghton. Or vice versa. Or crap in both, and clear inland, or the opposite.

I don't usually put much stock in forecasts in the Great Lakes. I check out the satellite/radar loops along with the METARs to the west and launch/wait depending what I see.

Do you remember the term 'Orographic Lifting' from you college or training days? Of course you do. It can be a factor, especially near the higher terrain of the NW U.P.

Just the other day, it was cloudy with very light snow 30 miles south of Houghton, then almost totally clear from Iron Mountain and south into WI.

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints2/447/

Back