Long day flying a rental 182 (engine out experience and busting a charlie)

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
First comment is how much of a joy to land the 182 is. I’ve seen several folks on the site talk about learning in the plane, I think it’s easier to land well than even a 172.

I picked up the plane Friday night so I could start early yesterday from my house (I live in an airport community). Got up and got ready and the plane wouldn’t start. Got a neighbor with a nice ground power unit to help out, but I was 2 hours behind by the time the engine was running.

Took off, climbed through 1000 feet and pulled power back a bit and started to dial the rpms back. All of a sudden the engine stops dead. I pitch down to best glide, verify I can make it back to the runway, and proceed to “undo the last thing I did” I look down and immediately realize my mistake. My 65 mooney had the prop control on the right, and the mixture on the left. I had backed out the mixture thinking it was the prop control and killed the engine. Pushed it back in and the engine lights back up. Whew. (By the way, I’ve already replaced my engine controls during my overhaul and put the cables in the standard order). I was both astonished at how fast the big draggy bird slowed down with no power, and also how calm and collected I remained for the 10 seconds I thought I was going down. I feel better about how I’ll react in a real situation.

Next problem was the comm system. The day was half over before I figured out what switch to hit on the panel so I could talk to my buddy without screaming at him through the headset.

A bit of nasty haze put a damper on the sightseeing, but it was still enjoyable.

Then I dropped my buddy off at Page field in ft Meyers. Controller bitched at me that my transponder wasn’t working. Climbing through 900 under the 1200 foot class c and he gave me a nasty comment that my transponder was off again. I pulled power, trimmed down and screwed with the transponder, only to get yelled at again that I was at 1300 feet. Sigh. Stupid stupid mistake. It takes quite a bit to stop the 182 from climbing. I was less than a mile from the edge of the airspace, and there was nothing going on, but still senseless and stupid.

Then, due to the delay in the morning, I find myself flying home in the dark in a plane I have no idea if it has good lighting. I have a headlight in my flight bag so I could have gone into a well lit towered airport near my house if I had too, but fortunately it had great lighting. Landing at home was no issue.

Learned a lot, including that 20 knots slower makes a big difference.

Last edited:
Congrats on a successful flight. Negative habit transfer (or whatever they call it now) is no joke. Older Baron's also have the levers in the wrong position. While I'm sure I could eventually get used to it, it would take me a long time to un-train my brain from standard and re-train it. That's nice you were able to reconfigure your mooney to put the controls in the standard positions.

I agree with your assessment of the 182. When I was teaching I noticed when you transition a 172 driver over, they love to try to land nose first a few times initially. :)

Yeah, one of the hazards with the rental, figuring where stuff is and how it works. There’s a bit to be said for familiarity.

The controllers in Ft Myers and page get very serious about their airspace.

Negative habit transfer (or whatever they call it now) is no joke. Older Baron's also have the levers in the wrong position.
Yeah I’ve always thought the same. Seems odd to have a P T M arrangement rather than T P M. I could see myself inadvertently pulling the props back instead of the throttles before I got fully comfortable with that layout. Yikes!

Standard arrangement in every Cessna I've flown is T P M. @Salty, what was the arrangement in that '65 Mooney? T M P?

I haven't flown a lot of different makes/models, so this is a cautionary tale for me for the future. (Of course, we all know of planes where the placement of flaps vs. gear is backwards...)

A learning experience that could have gone much worse. I hope they didn't just toss you the keys to the plane and tell you to go for it! Every panel in every rental is just a bit different and what worked last time might not work this time in the same plane. Last time in one of the Archers there was no turn coordinator, now it is back with a bubble in it. Don't know what is worse.

Standard arrangement in every Cessna I've flown is T P M. @Salty, what was the arrangement in that '65 Mooney? T M P?

I haven't flown a lot of different makes/models, so this is a cautionary tale for me for the future. (Of course, we all know of planes where the placement of flaps vs. gear is backwards...)
Yes. It was t m p.

A learning experience that could have gone much worse. I hope they didn't just toss you the keys to the plane and tell you to go for it! Every panel in every rental is just a bit different and what worked last time might not work this time in the same plane. Last time in one of the Archers there was no turn coordinator, now it is back with a bubble in it. Don't know what is worse.
I did a checkout in the plane while getting my high perf endorsement about a month ago. I was ultra sensitive about the difference of controls. Problem was when I started getting comfortable I lapsed to old habits.

That's why mixture control is red. A good habit is to glance at the knob/lever for a second (identify it) before moving it. Similar to a failed engine procedure in a twin. Glad it worked out for you Salty, and you kept cool and got it back running quickly. Nice job. Many past accidents resulted from that exact scenario.

That's why mixture control is red. A good habit is to glance at the knob/lever for a second (identify it) before moving it. Similar to a failed engine procedure in a twin.

That's also why the newer prop knobs are shaped differently than the mixture knob. This sounds like an older one that had the T P M knobs all the same shape.

A 182 is everything a 172 is not. When you rotate it doesn't think about it and eventually lift off, it just takes off and climbs solidly.

I agree about the landings too. It would be my number one choice for a spot landing contest.

I did a checkout and logged some cross country time in a G1000 182T last fall. The glass panel is neither here nor there, but the plane really impressed me. Had it up to 17,000 ft on one trip, something you'll never do in a Hershey-bar Cherokee. I think it's the perfect transition to a useful travelling airplane for a newly minted PPL who learned in a 172.

But I gotta admit the approach to touchdown with flaps out on final seemed to take foooooorever after flying a twin. :D

That's why mixture control is red. A good habit is to glance at the knob/lever for a second (identify it) before moving it. Similar to a failed engine procedure in a twin. Glad it worked out for you Salty, and you kept cool and got it back running quickly. Nice job. Many past accidents resulted from that exact scenario.

I flew an older 182 that someone had painted all the knobs. All black.... But a little playing around and I quickly discovered that they were in the usual arrangement.

I flew an older 182 that someone had painted all the knobs. All black.... But a little playing around and I quickly discovered that they were in the usual arrangement.

Weird huh.

Weird huh.

It was strange.

It looked as if someone used the same rattle can paint to cover the glare shield and the dash pad and the instrument panel. Fortunately whoever the "artist" was they covered the instruments first.

First comment is how much of a joy to land the 182 is. I’ve seen several folks on the site talk about learning in the plane, I think it’s easier to land well than even a 172.

I picked up the plane Friday night so I could start early yesterday from my house (I live in an airport community). Got up and got ready and the plane wouldn’t start. Got a neighbor with a nice ground power unit to help out, but I was 2 hours behind by the time the engine was running.

Took off, climbed through 1000 feet and pulled power back a bit and started to dial the rpms back. All of a sudden the engine stops dead. I pitch down to best glide, verify I can make it back to the runway, and proceed to “undo the last thing I did” I look down and immediately realize my mistake. My 65 mooney had the prop control on the right, and the mixture on the left. I had backed out the mixture thinking it was the prop control and killed the engine. Pushed it back in and the engine lights back up. Whew. (By the way, I’ve already replaced my engine controls during my overhaul and put the cables in the standard order). I was both astonished at how fast the big draggy bird slowed down with no power, and also how calm and collected I remained for the 10 seconds I thought I was going down. I feel better about how I’ll react in a real situation.

Next problem was the comm system. The day was half over before I figured out what switch to hit on the panel so I could talk to my buddy without screaming at him through the headset.

A bit of nasty haze put a damper on the sightseeing, but it was still enjoyable.

Then I dropped my buddy off at Page field in ft Meyers. Controller bitched at me that my transponder wasn’t working. Climbing through 900 under the 1200 foot class c and he gave me a nasty comment that my transponder was off again. I pulled power, trimmed down and screwed with the transponder, only to get yelled at again that I was at 1300 feet. Sigh. Stupid stupid mistake. It takes quite a bit to stop the 182 from climbing. I was less than a mile from the edge of the airspace, and there was nothing going on, but still senseless and stupid.

Then, due to the delay in the morning, I find myself flying home in the dark in a plane I have no idea if it has good lighting. I have a headlight in my flight bag so I could have gone into a well lit towered airport near my house if I had too, but fortunately it had great lighting. Landing at home was no issue.

Learned a lot, including that 20 knots slower makes a big difference.
Wow what a learning flight!!! Congrats on good job handling the situation!

Back